• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    So I was driving down I-10 today and stopped off in Schulenburg (around mile marker 674 or so). Popped into a place on the north side of the freeway called Oakridge Smokehouse.

Tried the buffet, it sucked. While walking out, I glanced over and noticed some jerky. Took a second look and saw they also had baked goods.

So, I snag some jerky for the ride (since the buffet sucked) and a loaf of raisin bread. The other stuff looked pretty good too, but I didn't want to spend too much if their counter goods matched their buffet goods.

HOLY CRAP!!! The bread was GREAT!! We've already gone through the entire loaf. If you ever, and I mean EVER, pass this place, get a loaf. You will not be disappointed (provided this is their usual quality). If it isn't, well, it was only $4.25.

BTW, the jerky was also pretty good. Is $8.50 a pound iirc.

EDIT: pricing mistake on jerky ... is $25 a pound :(
    Target Sports

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    /bump

People need to try this bread!

BTW, if anyone knows of some great raisin cinammon bread here in Houston, let me know. Oakridge is 90+ miles from home.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I have family in San Antonio, so I usually stop at Frank's across I10 from the Oakridge Smokehouse. My wife does't like Frank's for some reason, but she likes the breakfast buffet at Oakridge Smokehouse. Are you sure about the $8.50 a pound on jerky? If it is $8.50, I'm going to stop there the next time I go to SA. I usually get jerky for $18 to $20 a pound. Will try the bread as well.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I'm pretty sure it was $8.50. The thick stuff was easier to bite off than the thin stuff. We'll be heading down that way soon, will recheck the price.

txpolecat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    It's about 30 min Northwest off I-10 on 71 near Lagrange.

Weikel's Bakery. Amazing bakery, great sandwiches, kolaches must be eaten to be believed. Also try their "Honey Bees" they are like cinnamon rolls but with honey and walnut/pecan instead of plain white sugar. Amazing. They have a jerky selection but I've only tried it a few times.

Every time I trip over to Austin I get a loaf of bread and kolaches from there. Been a loyal customer for over 8 years now.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...=12,145.68323899335667,,0,-1.0500000000000085

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Well DB, I just got back from a bread run. That jerky is $25 a pound. Don't know where I got $8.50. All I can figure is that's how much I bought that time, lol.

Gonna have to try Weikel next.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    We have relatives (compadres) that live in Sealy, we vist on a regular basis. I was already planning on making run on some of that $8.50/lb. jerky.:( Maybe next time.

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    It's about 30 min Northwest off I-10 on 71 near Lagrange.

Weikel's Bakery. Amazing bakery, great sandwiches, kolaches must be eaten to be believed. Also try their "Honey Bees" they are like cinnamon rolls but with honey and walnut/pecan instead of plain white sugar. Amazing. They have a jerky selection but I've only tried it a few times.

Every time I trip over to Austin I get a loaf of bread and kolaches from there. Been a loyal customer for over 8 years now.

I will second this post! Weikel's is very good when I worked around La Grange we made a stop in there every morning.
    Also when you are at the Oakridge Smokehouse try the RiceCrispey treats they make!

DRJ

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Well crap ... Wife left my stuff on the counter. Regular kolache, fruit kolaches, cinammon rolls with pieces of pecan. :(

I went to the bathroom while she paid. No, I didn't give her the slip, it's all one big pocket here, lol. Met her back at the truck. We had bags of stuff from Austin, her goodies (coconut, bleh!), and my son's pasty, so I didn't notice.

Kinda bummed out, but I guess I'll get it next time ... BTW, they were out of honey bees and farm cakes.

mcss383

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Highlands, TX
    Stop in Weimar and head to Kasper's Meat Market for the some of the best beef jerky. Take the first exit off 10, head north. Take a left at the light and then a right at the first stop sign and a left quickly after. They are on the right side of the street about halfway down.

If I am ever on 71, I'll have to give Weikel's bakery a try.

Top Bottom