• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK... so I have a ar15 tricked out that is strictly my thermal hunting gun. I don't shoot over 300yrds with it. I currently have it zeroed at 100yrds. Took about 20 shots the other day @ 300yrds, held about 26-30" high and Got a good group. I've been thinking about re-zeroing at 200yrds to keep my drop little as possible. Would a 200yrd make the most sense? Aim a little high at 300 and a little low at 80-100yrds. I just read an article about setting zero at 50yrds, it'll be close at 200yrds and your 300yrds won't be that much drop. Ya'll got any advice or experience on the 55g v-max's. It's got a 16" barrel.

BTW... I'm getting really nice groups out of this Stretch16 barrel.

Thanks
    Military Camp

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Depends on the ballistics and target size. Typical shooting distance will probably matter as well.

Mine is 200. Close enough to hold dead on out to 200 and only a 10” drop at 300, mostly happening at 250+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Depends on the ballistics and target size. Typical shooting distance will probably matter as well.

Mine is 200. Close enough to hold dead on out to 200 and only a 10” drop at 300, mostly happening at 250+

OK thanks... I'll try it at 200. Most of my shots are on yotes. But the occasional hog comes available. I'd rather have 10" drop at 300yrds than 24-36".

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    IIRC, I’m around 1.5” high at 100-125. Not enough to hurt anything and easy to hold a hair under on something small.

My intention is a rabbit eliminator so I set up to allow holding center mass for the broadest range of distance and 200 works out perfect for as far as I can see them with the light.

I’m shooting 55gr Dogtowns. The BC is crap but they’re accurate and I’ve seen their effects.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IIRC, I’m around 1.5” high at 100-125. Not enough to hurt anything and easy to hold a hair under on something small.

My intention is a rabbit eliminator so I set up to allow holding center mass for the broadest range of distance and 200 works out perfect for as far as I can see them with the light.

I’m shooting 55gr Dogtowns. The BC is crap but they’re accurate and I’ve seen their effects.

Oh yeah that's no problem. I'll readjust over the Holiday and see what I get.

Thanks Younggun!

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I agree with the 50-200 yard zero...all my scoped rifles work well with this zero. That said, I used to use the 25 yard zero as I learned it from an old hunter in Montana. He used to use a white paper plate, an ink pac, and a new pencil.

He'd touch the pencil eraser to the ink pad, press it to the middle of the paper plate. set it at 25 yards. Then, he'd set his scope on 9X (3-9 Bushnell if I remember...) and put the cross hairs on the dot.

When he put three bullets in a row into one hole and you couldn't see any ink, he was good to go. He shot a 30-06.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I've always done the 50-200 yard zero with my 5.56 AR's. It's worked well for me. I like the fact that I'm only 1.5" high at 100 & on at 200. Imo that's pretty flat for shooting out to 200 yards.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom