• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    It's amazing to me that this guy was exactly the same during his Senate campaign but because he was nipping at Cruz's heels every liberal in the country swooned and pre-ordained him the next messiah. Now that he's no longer needed to beat Cruz and it's clear his word salad banality can't beat Trump, he's a laughing stock even among the left.

Exactly....and he got the God complex with all the adoration he got during his run at Cruz on his skateboard, talk about weed, and how Mexican he was. The media actually cast him as such. Now it's wearing thin.

I think he really thought it was going to be handed to him.
    Military Camp

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I'll be very pleased to see Beto drop out of the race. There are still quite a few Beto bumper stickers in the Austin area, more as you get into the city. Out in the country they've pretty much disappeared.

para_bellum,

"Pretty Bobbi" O'Rourke has the same chance as I do to ever be POTUS: NONE whatsoever.
    (He & Elizabeth Warren have something in common besides being DIMocRATS. Both are FRAUDS.)

yours, satx

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    para_bellum,

"Pretty Bobbi" O'Rourke has the same chance as I do to ever be POTUS: NONE whatsoever.
    (He & Elizabeth Warren have something in common besides being DIMocRATS. Both are FRAUDS.)

yours, satx

Warren's the only one of the twenty or so who's smart enough to tone down the extremism (though her track record in Congress and non-election-year commentary reveals her extremist credentials) and attempt to appeal to the moderates. She's dangerous.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Warren's the only one of the twenty or so who's smart enough to tone down the extremism (though her track record in Congress and non-election-year commentary reveals her extremist credentials) and attempt to appeal to the moderates. She's dangerous.
    Yet she was only one of two candidates that raised her hand to take away private insurance in favor of Medicare for all.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Anyone thinking government run healthcare would be the solution to all of this country's healthcare woes need only look at the VA system.

I've been quite authoritatively informed by my leftist mother-in-law that the VA system is a model for the rest of us. She was NOT happy when I reminded her of my experiences trying to get my father competent care through the VA. The conversation ended quickly.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Anyone thinking government run healthcare would be the solution to all of this country's healthcare woes need only look at the VA system.

Kar98,

OR the USPS.

That which is done by the government will forever be EXPENSIVE, INEFFICIENT & WASTEFUL.

yours, satx

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

I've always gotten good care from the VA.

When we found I had prostate cancer I had private insurance. I chose to have the VA treat it.

1. It was free.
    2. I had a world class surgeon that did my surgery.
    3. When it came time for radiation treatments they were done at the adjacent teaching hospital AND I got paid to show up.

All my follow up care has been done at the VA. My last AUS surgery was done at UT Southwestern, again by a world class surgeon. The VA outsourced that one. They have also outsourced some recent dental work and my current PT for my knees. I'm really glad for the last one as driving into Dallas twice a week for PT would suck donkey balls.

It's just like any large organization in that there are those there to serve you and others just there to collect a paycheck. Some of the support staff at the Dallas VA have a severe lack of a sense of urgency.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    You're lucky, MailMan. The VA health centers in Austin, San Antonio and Temple are flat-out dangerous for veterans. And of course you can spend two hours on the phone just trying to set up a simple appointment with a GP - which I personally have had to do. My sister gave up after two hours, then the next day had a three hour call to accomplish the same goal. His GP in Austin was nothing more than a pill pusher - give the old folks meds and keep 'em happy till they die. We transferred him to San Antonio to a new GP who was well-meaning, but wouldn't consult his own notes about his patients, so every visit was like a first visit.

I honestly have had no good experiences with the VA's care for my father other than their optical clinic in Temple (which lost the doctors and the admin that he had been seeing, so that's gone) and the dental clinic in Austin.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That which is done by the government will forever be EXPENSIVE, INEFFICIENT & WASTEFUL.
    Agreed and that's fine by me.

The only things the government should be doing are things that are so vital to the common good that we can't live without them (e.g. common defense, mediating international affairs, some legal system, etc.) but that are completely unprofitable and thus can't be done by the private sector.

Winning wars, for example, is expensive, inefficient, and wasteful. Any effective military can be described that way and nobody should care. Why? Because the government should only do jobs where effectiveness trumps all else.

No one cares how frugal and efficient their military is if it loses the war.

It doesn't bother me at all if the government is expensive, inefficient, and wasteful. It bothers me that the government is expensive, inefficient, and wasteful doing jobs it should never have started doing in the first place.

If the government only did the few tasks that governments should do and did them well, no one would complain about expense, inefficiency, and wastefulness.

Mission creep is the evil here. Focus on inefficiency is a meaningless distraction.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Agreed and that's fine by me.

The only things the government should be doing are things that are so vital to the common good that we can't live without them (e.g. common defense, mediating international affairs, some legal system, etc.) but that are completely unprofitable and thus can't be done by the private sector.

Winning wars, for example, is expensive, inefficient, and wasteful. Any effective military can be described that way and nobody should care. Why? Because the government should only do jobs where effectiveness trumps all else.

No one cares how frugal and efficient their military is if it loses the war.

It doesn't bother me at all if the government is expensive, inefficient, and wasteful. It bothers me that the government is expensive, inefficient, and wasteful doing jobs it should never have started doing in the first place.

If the government only did the few tasks that governments should do and did them well, no one would complain about expense, inefficiency, and wastefulness.

Mission creep is the evil here. Focus on inefficiency is a meaningless distraction.

benenglish,

I'm talking about NEEDLESS inefficiency, waste & expense, even in the things that government SHOULD be doing.
    Also, there is a GREAT DEAL of just plain STEALING going on in government & MOST of that, when discovered, is NOT punished.
    (Fyi, I was a DoD special investigator & IG investigator for years & found a GREAT DEAL of dishonesty that the "powers that be" refused to stop and/or punish the malefactors.)

ONE of the MOST costly "rip offs" of the taxpayers is buying, leasing, renting & "renovating" of office space.
    (For just a single example, I discovered a large/leased office building in the DC area that had supposedly been "renovated" 4 times in 2 years. - Actually NOTHING had been done to fix the numerous problems that the building had but "somebody got paid" anyway. - When I submitted my report, I was told by a SES appointee to "just shut up about it" & NOTHING was done about the "brother-in-law deal". - I later discovered that the report/notes/documents had "mysteriously disappeared".)

yours, satx

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I've always gotten good care from the VA.

I have also gotten good care at the VA in Houston for 46 years now. However, my Dad was not so lucky at Temple.

One thing has been notable IME ... you need to be in hyper mode when it comes to managing your own healthcare; AND have someone with you for hospital stays. But the same can be said of most private facilities.

Being married to a British subject at one time, I was covered under the UK's National Healthcare System when working in the UK.

Compared to that, the VA, at least the Debakey facility in Houston, is world class.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    The good thing is that after this "Beto" is done. Anyone that believes he will go on to be president has their head in the sand. Through his campaign he has left no doubt who he is, a politician for hire. He may well just had said to everyone "elect me and I'll be whomever you want".
    He won't suspend or drop out because as long as he's in it, he can fundraise and build a war-chest/slush-fund. If the Dems win, he'll be a Cabinet Secretary at the very least, maybe more (which thought makes me ill).

Top Bottom