• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Come on, I want to hear more about her carrying her weapon illegally on a military base and the lack of a quick response from base security. Got a link??

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Come on, I want to hear more about her carrying her weapon illegally on a military base and the lack of a quick response from base security. Got a link??

How did she illegally take a weapon on a military base?

It's a common misconception that personal firearms are not allowed on military bases. I do it all the time, at Camp Bullis where I regularly shoot. They also sell firearms at numerous base exchanges, Randolph recently installed a gun counter.

Title 18 Section 930 of the US Code only prohibits firearms in Federal facilities, defined as buildings. It does not prohibit personal firearms on installations. Most bases that prohibit it are because of regulations (US Army) or commander policy (USAF_. I'm not sure what the Navy rules are as I haven't been on a Navy base with a firearm.

There is an urban myth that Clinton issued an executive order prohibiting weapons on base, but Snopes discounted it here: snopes.com: Clinton Disarmed Soldiers on Military Bases?.

All that said, I still wouldn't put it past the current Bexar county sheriff to think she was above the rules. It's the same attitude she possessed when she was in the USAF.

Last edited:

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    How did she illegally take a weapon on a military base?

She was inside the hospital at the time.
    And my original post said nothing of it being illegal or not, just that she was carrying, and Security called Security Forces, who spent 45 minutes to get there for a thing reported as an "Armed Individual".

Mainly was just an interesting note as I was walking through. Named the thread wrongly.

Edit: They want you to secure your firearm at the Armory when you arrive on base.I even asked about keeping it in my car when I got my visitors pass. (Wasn't in the car at the time.)

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yeah, if she took her weapon in the hospital then she was in violation of Federal law. I saw some state law enforcement officers at BAMC one time who were made to take their sidearms back to their vehicle.

It just goes to show you how clueless she is on the law and Federal regulations despite 35 years in the uniform. She was the worst candidate for sheriff and I don't think things are any better under her than her predecessor (who was no cup of tea either). She had zero qualifications, just party backing. Why Bexar county can't find an experienced law enforcement officer is beyond me...

By the way, was this Ft Sam or Lackland?

Cheers! M2

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    A sworn law enforcement officer does not relinquish his/her right to carry a firearm on a federal installation (just as they are allowed to carry on a domestic airline flight).

(Although mere mortals do suffer from federal over reach).

The Sheriff was well within her rights to seek medical care to which she was entitled (while being armed).

The armed forces have a phobia about the carrying of weapons unless it is from the arms room to the range.

The problem is with military regulations which prohibit the legal carry of firearms on the installation.

I'm sure some of the troops at Fort Hood would like to have been armed when Nidal Hassan went on his jihadist rampage.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Law enforcement carry on airplanes is covered under Title 49 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) §1544.219 Carriage of Accessible Weapons.

Show me where the same applies to Federal military facilities.

LEOSA only covers state and local property, it does not superseded Federal laws or regulations.

I don't see anything in it concerning Title 18 §930 of the US Code, which again only addresses facilities and not installations.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom