• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I've been driving with these tires on my Expedition for about 4 1/2 years. Mostly on SH 130 at speeds of 80 and 85 mph. Then, Thursday, I happen to look at one of my tires, and this is what I see. Splits in the tread groove.

IMG_0019_zpse98e69c8.jpg

So, I check the other 3 tires, and guess what, they are the same way. Upon closer inspection, it gets even worse.

IMG_0018_zps1e294c4f.jpg

I'm freaked out. Even though I bought these tires in 2010, we don't drive the vehicle that often and they only have 8,100 miles on them. Lots of tread left, but it is separating from the sidewalls and splitting in the grooves. The tread is separating the entire circumference of the tire, and those groove splits are almost completely around too. I figure one tire, maybe, but all four? What in the world is going on here?

I keep them inflated to the proper pressure, no off roading, 90% highway driving. These are not the cheapest tires. They are the Goodrich Long Trail T/A.

I have an appointment with Discount Tires Monday. To me this looks like a factory defect and those guys better make it right. I don't know how long they've been that way.

I'm curious as to what you guys think.
    Texas SOT

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I have a set on my Jeep that are exactly like that. When I asked Discount I got an automated negative response. I will say that since noticing this over two years ago, nothing has happened. I won't be replacing them with BFG's when it comes time to replace them.

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If you have already decided that they "better make it right" you are likely to be disappointed. 4 year old tires? Did you buy them at Discount Tire? Have you read the warranty that DT provides with all tires?

I wouldn't even imagine expecting a retailer to replace at no cost 4 year old tires. That said, I am a long time DT customer, and they have always treated me fairly. Your expectations should be reasonable. I'd just buy a new set of tires....

As far as far as the tires, I would no longer drive those at freeway speeds.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It's not a defect, it's the result of prolonged UV exposure thanks to the Texas sun. It happens to all tires on vehicles kept outside, my Toyota had the same problem, and my son's VW is suffering from it as well.

Those look pretty bad, I would suggest replacing them. Those cracks could lead to tread separation.

I don't think even Discount Tire's warranty coverage will give you pro-rated credit on these tires, it isn't a defect or road damage.

Bring your checkbook on Monday...

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Just have four blowouts by Monday and you're good to go. Otherwise, the condition of the tire is simply a result of age and uv damage as mmax stated, and DT most likely won't do much.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Yes, I bought them at Discount Tires. They have a 60,000 mile warranty and should be pro rated on the amount of tread left on the tire. Which is a lot, since they only have 8,100 miles on them. I don't really expect a new set of tires at no cost. But they have been good to me in the past.

That damage is not from UV rays. These tires are coming apart.

On the Goodrich web site, their warranty says they will cover defects in material and workmanship for 6 years from date of purchase.

Well, it's going to be interesting. Even if they don't honor the warranty, I'll be getting new tires from them. I can't feel safe driving on these. And they won't be BF Goodrich.

I'll let you know the out come Monday afternoon.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yes, I bought them at Discount Tires. They have a 60,000 mile warranty and should be pro rated on the amount of tread left on the tire. Which is a lot, since they only have 8,100 miles on them. I don't really expect a new set of tires at no cost. But they have been good to me in the past.

That damage is not from UV rays. These tires are coming apart.

On the Goodrich web site, their warranty says they will cover defects in material and workmanship for 6 years from date of purchase.

Well, it's going to be interesting. Even if they don't honor the warranty, I'll be getting new tires from them. I can't feel safe driving on these. And they won't be BF Goodrich.

I'll let you know the out come Monday afternoon.

Sorry, but that is not a manufacturing defect, it is clearly from UV rays. Look at other cars and you'll see the same effects from the sun. It's commonly known as "dry rot"...and it's bad here in Texas due to the heat and constant UV rays they are subjected to...

Do You Really Need To Replace Those Tires? - Popular Mechanics

It is highly unlikely that DT or Goodyear will warranty these tires as if they did, they'd go broke doing the same with 75% of the vehicles in Texas!

And if you think it's unique to BF Goodrich tires, you're badly mistaken. As I said, any tire can suffer from it, and if you look around you'll see all other makes of tires have it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Oddly enough, the one that sits on the tire carrier in full sun has not cracked. Bought them all at the same time.

Well, if you read the link I posted, you will see that it's more than just exposure to the sun. Obviously the four tires that are on the ground are subjected to increased friction, heat, stress and flexing which also cause this. The problem is just exasperated here in Texas because of our high UV exposure.

Also, if you have a full sized spare I would recommend a five-tire rotation in the future. It makes a lot more sense.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    After further review, forget what i said, the replacement certificates are only valid for 3 years.

To the best of my knowledge DT does not warranty tires on a pro rated scale. They never have. They will probably offer you a discount on a new set however.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol.

I'd drive on them.

If you get them replaced, keep the old ones and sell them. Someone will buy them and run them for a couple more years. It will help someone get a good deal on tires and you will recoup some of your cost.

Oh, and got my flame suit on.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Better read your DT tire warranty...

How do you know?

Because the sun is not shining inside those grooves all day long. Because I've had tires for 10 years that didn't start coming apart, yeah a little weather cracking, but never splits like that. Because I've got two other vehicles with older tires and more mileage, sitting next to this one, that are not coming apart. Because the previous set of tires I had on this vehicle did not start falling apart after 4 years.

LOL, I'm going to try to find my DT warranty now. Your right, I might be screwed.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Lol.

I'd drive on them.

If you get them replaced, keep the old ones and sell them. Someone will buy them and run them for a couple more years. It will help someone get a good deal on tires and you will recoup some of your cost.

Oh, and got my flame suit on.

Uh, no. I won't be driving on them. At least not on the highway at 80 mph. They would probably be ok for around town.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    To the best of my knowledge DT does not warranty tires on a pro rated scale. They never have. They will probably offer you a discount on a new set however.

DT does offer a road hazard warranty that pro-rates tires if they need to be replaced. I always get it and have used it on several occasions...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Because the sun is not shining inside those grooves all day long. Because I've had tires for 10 years that didn't start coming apart, yeah a little weather cracking, but never splits like that. Because I've got two other vehicles with older tires and more mileage, sitting next to this one, that are not coming apart. Because the previous set of tires I had on this vehicle did not start falling apart after 4 years.
    So to be fair, you are speculating based on anecdotal evidence. ;)

LOL, I'm going to try to find my DT warranty now. Your right, I might be screwed.

Hopefully they will at least discount you.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

I can tell you now, they won't pro-rate those tires.

Also, you need to do some more research as there are many factors involved in dry rot. Discount Tire is a good chain, but they are also experts in such matters and know their stuff!

I understand your frustration, but you can't ignore the fact that this is being caused by environmental exposure and is not a "defect" in the actual tire.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    So to be fair, you are speculating based on anecdotal evidence. ;)

Hopefully they will at least discount you.

Yes
    Not looking too good.

I can tell you now, they won't pro-rate those tires.

Also, you need to do some more research as there are many factors involved in dry rot. Discount Tire is a good chain, but they are also experts in such matters and know their stuff!

I understand your frustration, but you can't ignore the fact that this is being caused by environmental exposure and is not a "defect" in the actual tire.

Yep. I found the warranty. All their warranties expire after 3 years from date of purchase. I will concede to the possibility of UV damage, I just thought that modern tires would hold up better against the environment.

I'll be checking their price for Michelins. Or, it may be a waste of money to go to high end tires if they are just gonna rot away too. Sheesh.

Top Bottom