• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm just putting the tabs on my new NIV Bible. I kept my KJ version until I started with a new Bible study group who all use the NIV. When in Rome........

This thread is going to drift all over the place but the OP says its OK. (Would be nice to have a faith subforum)

I went from ESV to NKJV to NIV. Ive been bad about church shopping. s partly because I moved a lot in the last few years and partly because I didn't grow up in a biblical church so I am open to several different denominations.

I understand the arguments for and against different versions. The main thing is that meaning isnt lost with translation. And before the KJV crowd comes after me you should be reading the original Hebrew Greek and Aramaic!

You've got to know when to use a Bible and when to use a rifle.
    DK Firearms

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    God is good all the time. This is one for the lazy people
    And all the want it now generation.
    Proverbs: a little rest, a little slumber and poverty will creep up on you
    Like a thief in the night.

For me the most important thing is even if you drift away the father will take you back.
    And there is no loophole in Gods word. And trust i have tried to find one(lol)

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    By grace you are saved and that not of yourselves... Considering that, examine Eph 2:10 where we find that we are created for good works that are set out beforehand that we should walk in them. By grace are you sanctified... That last won't found specifically in scripture, but I believe it to be a necessary inference.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I knew you befofe you you were born. We must remember.
    To hate the sin but love the sinner. For me that is hard at times.
    When i see all thats going on all around us.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    My Latin's not good enough for the Vulgate, so usually NAB, but so many options available. I'm not always crazy about some of the NAB translations though.

This is a good opportunity for common ground and sharing. It's really disheartening when I see Christians argue with each other.

These versions will have additional deuterocanonical books not found in the versions you're looking at so I'll try to avoid those when chiming in.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

Every Army Chaplain I ever encountered had that Verse in his hip pocket: No matter the motivation for joining the Army, in the end you fight for your brothers, not your country. It is better to die than to let your brother down.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    "Judge not, lest ye be judged".

Not preaching. Just pointing out one of my own struggles.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

Every Army Chaplain I ever encountered had that Verse in his hip pocket: No matter the motivation for joining the Army, in the end you fight for your brothers, not your country. It is better to die than to let your brother down.

That's a campo we had to remember for the Aggie Corps as well.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    One of the key "secrets" of the bible is that the letters, genealogy and history recorded are talking and intended for members of the church.

Also the genealogy is more to follow the line of the priesthood\authority than to give family background.

I'm teaching the old testament this year in Sunday School. We're following the Israelites who've been cursed to wander around and die off before they are ready to enter the promised land. Out of Egypt they were 500,000 strong. Anytime they're wicked it's another 20,000 who get wiped out by pagues or snakes or armies.

One of the points made is the journey between Egypt and the promised land normally only takes 11 days but due to the wickedness\unworthiness of the people it took 40 years.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    I'd recommend "The God Who Justifies" by James White. It is from the Reformed/Calvinist perspective. I don't agree with everything in it, but it is one of the best explanations of these Biblical concepts from that theology.

I take a position much like Dr. Walter Martin. When you are dealing with an all-powerful and all-knowing being, there doesn't need to be a conflict between freedom and God's plan/sovereignty, just a lot of paradoxes, which is okay. I even subscribe to some aspects of Open Theism, which advocates that there may be some things God cannot know for sure about the future actions of free beings, only the probabilities.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I'd recommend "The God Who Justifies" by James White. It is from the Reformed/Calvinist perspective. I don't agree with everything in it, but it is one of the best explanations of these Biblical concepts from that theology.

I take a position much like Dr. Walter Martin. When you are dealing with an all-powerful and all-knowing being, there doesn't need to be a conflict between freedom and God's plan/sovereignty, just a lot of paradoxes, which is okay. I even subscribe to some aspects of Open Theism, which advocates that there may be some things God cannot know for sure about the future actions of free beings, only the probabilities.

Absolute love demands free will despite knowing (and influencing) the future. I think the combination exemplifies His perfection.

An omnipotent being is not threatened by our choices but also guides us down a path for our own good.

This discussion always reminds me of the end of Forrest Gump.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Absolute love demands free will despite knowing (and influencing) the future. I think the combination exemplifies His perfection.

An omnipotent being is not threatened by our choices but also guides us down a path for our own good.

This discussion always reminds me of the end of Forrest Gump.

one way to think about it is that if we were predestined and had no free will we'd be doing HIS will and therefore couldn't do wrong.

Top Bottom