• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    I'd recommend "The God Who Justifies" by James White. It is from the Reformed/Calvinist perspective. I don't agree with everything in it, but it is one of the best explanations of these Biblical concepts from that theology.

I take a position much like Dr. Walter Martin. When you are dealing with an all-powerful and all-knowing being, there doesn't need to be a conflict between freedom and God's plan/sovereignty, just a lot of paradoxes, which is okay. I even subscribe to some aspects of Open Theism, which advocates that there may be some things God cannot know for sure about the future actions of free beings, only the probabilities.

Which is it? Is He all-knowing or just a forgetful old granpa in heaven? You can't have it both ways.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Which is it? Is He all-knowing or just a forgetful old granpa in heaven? You can't have it both ways.

The all knowing. Job 37:16.

There is still a lot to be explained about what it means to "know" something, or the scope of knowledge itself.

It is even harder to comprehend the nature of knowledge of the Creator himself. Isaiah 55:9

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you guys dont have Bible apps on your smart phones you should check them out. Really good ones out there with study plans and of course every translation you can imagine. Some will read to you as well.

You've got to know when to use a Bible and when to use a rifle.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I do not go to church but have learned many worthwhile things from the Bible. My favorite is Galatians 6:7
    "...........whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."

Flash

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Regarding "judge not lest ye be judged": im not saying Vaq doesnt get Matthew 7:1 but our culture doesnt. We are actually called to discern (especially within the church) but we dont have authority to condemn.

Church discipline is laid out in the NT and it involves lots of discernment and calling sin as sin.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Regarding "judge not lest ye be judged": im not saying Vaq doesnt get Matthew 7:1 but our culture doesnt. We are actually called to discern (especially within the church) but we dont have authority to condemn.

Church discipline is laid out in the NT and it involves lots of discernment and calling sin as sin.

Love the sinner, hate the sin.
    I get it. I just struggle with application.
    I very often find myself condemning the actor as much or more than the sin commited.
    Yet I sin.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    Sinners are condemned already... the judge has already spoken. Regardless, our message is the same. Repent and place your faith in the finished work of Jesus and you shall be saved.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Love the sinner, hate the sin.
    I get it. I just struggle with application.
    I very often find myself condemning the actor as much or more than the sin commited.
    Yet I sin.

Right. Paul often described that. How he hated his sin so much but found himself returning to it.

I think many people misuse this phrase to basically say we can't call out sin and dont have any business saying what is right or wrong. We are called to, in ourselves in the world and in the church call out sin but with a loving soft heart not a hard condemning heart.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Right. Paul often described that. How he hated his sin so much but found himself returning to it.

I think many people misuse this phrase to basically say we can't call out sin and dont have any business saying what is right or wrong. We are called to, in ourselves in the world and in the church call out sin but with a loving soft heart not a hard condemning heart.

I get what you are saying. Outside the church, that phrase is used to prevent Christians from calling out anything evil.

Within the church, it is used to prevent any critique of heretical teachings, or to purge the community of immoral, false teachers.

But on the other side, when I hear "judge not, lest ye be judged," I immediately think of the backbiting and gossiping that occurs in some churches, or otherwise the phoniness and worldliness of many of the members.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I get what you are saying. Outside the church, that phrase is used to prevent Christians from calling out anything evil.

Within the church, it is used to prevent any critique of heretical teachings, or to purge the community of immoral, false teachers.

But on the other side, when I hear "judge not, lest ye be judged," I immediately think of the backbiting and gossiping that occurs in some churches, or otherwise the phoniness and worldliness of many of the members.

Matthew 18:15-17 NIV

“If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector."

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Not locked yet? Well................

The 23rd Psalm got me through a lot of violence in my life. I cannot recite text verbatim and never could. I tried for years to remember that Psalm, I got the words right but could never keep them in the correct order. I carried a tiny copy of the Psalm in my wallet until it just fell apart.

In the depths of my dark days, I modified the message a bit:
    "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil because I am the meanest SOB in the valley."

No offense is intended but it got me through a lot of dangerous stuff.

To give equal time, I'll post it as I remember it. I know it's not right but this is how it stuck in my head:

"Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff comfort me. Surely goodness and mercy shall comfort me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

Those words and I have been through some nasty things together.

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom