• ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Romans 8:30 NIV

"And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified."

This is what I've been thinking on lately.

You've got to know when to use a Bible and when to use a rifle.
    Target Sports

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I don't use NIV.

King James

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Calvinists believe in predestination in that God sets our route and we have no free will on our destination.

I think here Paul intended the word Foreordained. That is that some are called of God before we were born to do things but they still have a choice to follow Gods will or not. Take King David.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1990/12/i-have-a-question?lang=eng

Translation
    Year
    Romans 8:29
    Romans 8:30
    Wyclif
    bifor ordeyned
    bifor ordeyned
    Tyndale
    ordeyned before
    appoynted before
    Cranmer
    ordeyned before
    appoynted before
    Geneva
    ordeyned before
    appoynted before
    Rheims
    predestinated
    predestinated
    Standard Rev.
    foreordained
    foreordained
    James Moffatt
    decreed of old
    has thus decreed
    J. B. Phillips
    chose them
    chose them long ago
    Wm. F. Beck
    appointed long ago
    appointed long ago
    New Testament in Today’s English
    had also set apart
    had already set apart

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Im cool with KJV. I usually check a couple different versions.

Predestination or not breaks my mind. Infralapariansm and supralapsarianism and such.

Sermon on Romans 8:30 has been sticking with me. I understand it. What I struggle with is sanctification because its nothing I can do or even believe.

I am increasingly seeing that for believers God works in all things and He has always been in my life even when things didnt go as I wanted.

Faith by justification and I feel like its sanctification through just finding peace with things. Being calm and allowing God to work in my life and not get in my own way.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Im cool with KJV. I usually check a couple different versions.

Predestination or not breaks my mind. Infralapariansm and supralapsarianism and such.

Sermon on Romans 8:30 has been sticking with me. I understand it. What I struggle with is sanctification because its nothing I can do or even believe.

I am increasingly seeing that for believers God works in all things and He has always been in my life even when things didnt go as I wanted.

Faith by justification and I feel like its sanctification through just finding peace with things. Being calm and allowing God to work in my life and not get in my own way.

I think you would benefit from downloadiing some sermons from John MacArther on John Chapter 3

The truths about God's soveriegnty and man's free will are both true and paralell

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think you would benefit from downloadiing some sermons from John MacArther on John Chapter 3

The truths about God's soveriegnty and man's free will are both true and paralell

Appreciate it. Ive studied it a lot. Talked with pastors about it. Basically we should take the gospel to the world because we dont know who is predestined (if there is predestination).

I didnt start this thread just for this topic. I hope us believers here can have a running conversation about sermons from Sunday, what we have been struggling with and of course these huge topics too.

My background is being raised confused in a non-biblical church. I was saved while in a Baptist church, I go to a Bible Church now but have mad respect for Catholics and Orthodox as well.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Justification removes the punishment for past sin after we repent. We are able to repent due to His Atonement. Even then we are still imperfect or stained by the sin.

Sanctification removes the stain or effects of sin Isaiah 1:18. Those who are Sanctified can then enter into His presence. As nothing imperfect can enter His presence.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Justification removes the punishment for past sin after we repent. We are able to repent due to His Atonement. Even then we are still imperfect.

Sanctification removes the stain or effects of sin Isaiah 1:18

Sanctification through spiritual growth is a lifelong process complete at resurrection. Heard a preacher say as soon as a tree stops growing it starts dying. Christians arent just a pole stuck in the ground we are like a tree. Sanctification also involves being set apart and used for His will on Earth.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Sanctification through spiritual growth is a lifelong process complete at resurrection. Heard a preacher say as soon as a tree stops growing it starts dying. Christians arent just a pole stuck in the ground we are like a tree. Sanctification also involves being set apart and used for His will on Earth.

The verse ties them all together though right?

During this life we sin. Those on the path of righteousness who are foreordained (Matthew 22:14) go through a process then of being justified and sanctified.

It's a hardening process. Like a blacksmith tempering steel the blows of the hammer are us being justified and the fire is like us being sanctified.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The verse ties them all together though right?

During this life we sin. Those on the path of righteousness who are foreordained (Matthew 22:14) go through a process then of being justified and sanctified.

It's a hardening process. Like a blacksmith tempering steel the blows of the hammer are us being justified and the fire is like us being sanctified.

Right and its not expected to be or foretold to be easy.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I see no evidence that the path is easy. Just that the burden is lighter when we comply with His will and understand where we are going.

Right. Due to faith we can walk the narrow path whereas relying on our own strength we would fail.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    no sir, it's good news to me

Indeed. Lives are changed. Addictions are broken. Families strengthened. Relationships healed. Communities built. Friendships made.

It all started for me when i fell flat on my face and looked around at my wreck of a life that id made for myself. Then i learned how to get out of my own way and let go.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Interesting thread. Those verses used to bother me too BC, but our interpretation of predestined might be a lot different that the interpretation when it was originally penned. Mate Frio pointed that out in his excellent post.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Interesting thread. Those verses used to bother me too BC, but our interpretation of predestined might be a lot different that the interpretation when it was originally penned. Mate Frio pointed that out in his excellent post.

Welcome to the thread.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I'm just putting the tabs on my new NIV Bible. I kept my KJ version until I started with a new Bible study group who all use the NIV. When in Rome........

Top Bottom