Bicycle laws.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by oldguy, Jun 8, 2009.

1. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    My understand is the new bicycle law passed state senate yesterday and it appears ridiculous as usual, must be at least 3 foot from bicycle when passing,commercial vehicles 6 ft, fine and 6 months jail time possible.

While I'm all for safety and anyone using the roadways I must admit I find bicycles dangerous on many of the small country roads where blind curves exist and these folks riding 2 or more abreast. Urge the governor not to sign this bill.

2. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Bicycles on the road is a danger on county roads and should be against the law for them to stack cars for miles. My former boss is a cyclist and would get pissed off at the mere thought of this topic. :rofl:

3. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    While I agree about the dangers of cyclists on some roads, and I'll add, many cyclist's that need to have their head examined, 3' is awful close. I can't imaging we needed to spend State Legislative resources to tell people they need to keep 3' away from a cyclist.

That said, I'd rather see heavier fine for cyclists that think they don't need to observer traffic controls and laws. And that when they're on a small, narrow road doing 8 MPH, it might be the courteous and wise thing to actually move over far enough for cars to get by instead of riding alongside someone else chatting it up.

We have ton's of cyclists around here and many, if not most are some arrogant asses. Safety works best when we "all" cooperate.

Another good time to have a tuned diesel that can leave a large cloud of black smoke....... When appropriate of course. :happy0001:

4. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yes! You hit the nail on the head. And the ones that ride my cousins road tend to move when they hear a diesel coming. He has two tuned diesels and one wont drive more than 5' without bellowing black smoke. (that is the race truck):rofl::rofl::rofl:

5. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Bill number or link?

6. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    Safe Passing Bill (SB 488)

While generally I'm against any law that restricts freedom if this is passed
    then bicycles should be licensed and require liability insurance.

7. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Hence the slippery slope of new law after new law to augment new law.

8. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Holy cow, if you Google it, 99% of the hits are Cycle sites. And even they mention how redundant the bill is since most of it is already in transportation code.

I just don't see the point. 3' is nothing and if a person can't use common sense to begin with, a law won't stop them from hitting a "vulnerable road user". And if they hit and kill or seriously injure a "vulnerable road user", I'm sure LE isn't going to investigate for a possible failure to give 3' citation.

What are our legislators thinking when they vote for this crap?

Here's a time to hit up Gov. Perry to veto and stop the madness. This bill will not compensate for a few nimrods that aren't capable of good judgment and hurt or kill someone and ad's nothing to the punishment of said actions. It's fluff and a waste.

9. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    +1

Make them get a riders license too. Make their traffic offenses just as expensive as a drivers, if they aren't already.

I usually give these guys lots of room, but have seen more than a few douchebags.

10. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    We have alot around here where I live and out by my parents house is a farm market road and they are road hogs. I fixed it a lil when I had my Mustang cut outs/open headers and about 6500rpm (gotta love 4.30 gears) an they learned to share the road very well.