• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    I'll bet the bicyclist didn't have his headlight on ... oh wait, no headlight in the picture?

I wish more officers would write tickets to bicyclists for equipment violations before the cyclists learn them the hard way.

I'm assuming lighting conditions warranted a headlight at that time in the morning, it's foggy here then.

This should be required:

Texas Bicycle Helmet Education Statute

TEXAS STATUTES AND CODES
    HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE
    TITLE 9. SAFETY
    SUBTITLE A. PUBLIC SAFETY
    CHAPTER 758. BICYCLE SAFETY

§ 758.002. Bicycle safety education program
    (a) The department [Texas Department of Public Safety] may establish and administer a statewide bicycle safety education program and may adopt rules to implement the program. The program must include instruction concerning:
    (1) the safe handling and use of bicycles;
    (2) high risk traffic situations;
    (3) bicycle and traffic handling skills;
    (4) on-bike training;
    (5) correct use of bicycle helmets; and
    (6) traffic laws and regulations.
    (b) The department may issue a certificate or other evidence of completion to a person who has successfully completed a bicycle education course.
    (c) Subject to the establishment of a bicycle education program by the department, a person born after December 31, 1985, who resides in a metropolitan statistical area as defined by the United States Office of Management and Budget may complete a bicycle education course approved by the department before operating a bicycle on a public roadway, public bicycle path, or other public right-of-way. The course may be completed before the person's 10th birthday.
    (d) The department may charge a fee for the course not to exceed $15.
    (e) The department may:
    (1) determine the qualifications for an instructor in the bicycle education program;
    (2) use volunteer instructors; and
    (3) certify organizations to recruit and train instructors for the program.
    (f) In administering this section, the department may contract with an educational institution, state agency, local government, or nonprofit organization interested in bicycle education.
    (g) The department may accept gifts, grants, and donations to be used in administering this section.

And this should be required reading for any cyclist, followed by a test and issuance of a license, if passed.

TRANSPORTATION CODE
    TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
    SUBTITLE C. RULES OF THE ROAD
    CHAPTER 551. OPERATION OF BICYCLES, MOPEDS, AND PLAY VEHICLES
    TRANSPORTATION CODE
    TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
    SUBTITLE C. RULES OF THE ROAD
    CHAPTER 551. OPERATION OF BICYCLES, MOPEDS, AND PLAY VEHICLES
    http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.551.htm

Sec. 551.104. SAFETY EQUIPMENT. (a) A person may not operate a bicycle unless the bicycle is equipped with a brake capable of making a braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
    (b) A person may not operate a bicycle at nighttime unless the bicycle is equipped with:
    (1) a lamp on the front of the bicycle that emits a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet in front of the bicycle; and
    (2) on the rear of the bicycle:
    (A) a red reflector that is:
    (i) of a type approved by the department; and
    (ii) visible when directly in front of lawful upper beams of motor vehicle headlamps from all distances from 50 to 300 feet to the rear of the bicycle; or
    (B) a lamp that emits a red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of the bicycle.
    ----------

Except, "night time" should be changed to the language used for vehicles, whenever lighting conditions warrant, like this:

Texas Transportation Code - Section 663.033. Required Equipment; Display Of Lights (ATVs)
    (b) An all-terrain vehicle that is operated on public
    property must display a lighted headlight and taillight:
    (1) during the period from one-half hour after sunset
    to one-half hour before sunrise; and
    (2) at any time when visibility is reduced because of
    insufficient light or atmospheric conditions.

android

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Austin, TX

Uh, no.

Just as you may have noticed that reporters are complete idiots reporting gun incidents, a drunk on a bicycle is no more a "cyclist" than an AR is an "assault weapon capable of shooting thousands of cop killer bullets per minute".

All I expect is that motorists and cyclist follow the law. Your threats to run over cyclists because you are bigger and in a more powerful vehicle shows your maturity and pretty much indicates you shouldn't be on the road with the grown ups regardless of what vehicle they may be in or on.

Based on your logic, 18 wheelers should be allowed to run over SUVs and pickups, SUVs and pickups should be able to run over sedans and sedans should be able to run over compacts. Sorry, the road is a cooperative structure, everyone is not only primarily responsible for their own safety, but for the safety of everyone else as well.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    [.Based on your logic, 18 wheelers should be allowed to run over SUVs and pickups, SUVs and pickups should be able to run over sedans and sedans should be able to run over compacts.]

That seems reasonable

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Just an aside, when I was at school at OSU, I did see a police officer pull over a guy on a bike. It was pretty funny to watch, actually.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    No one "has the right of way" in Texas, ever. Texas law prescribes when one person/motorist must yield the right of way to another. It means something entirely different. A bicycle does not have any more right of way than an ambulance running "code 3" or a garbage truck does. Austin has an incredible problem with the interaction between bicycles and motor vehicles. Many bicyclists act as though none of the rules apply to them. In return, many drivers have no respect for bicyclists. They would all coexist peacefully if ALL of the bicyclists obeyed ALL the rules of the road. If Austin PD was truly interested in making the roads safer, they would issue a few thousand citations to the bicyclists for their stupid behavior. I have cited numerous bicyclists for a variety of violations from running red lights to speeding. Yes, speeding. 45 in a 30 zone. That guy was happy to have proof he was going 45 MPH on his bicycle. Bragging rights I guess.

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    No one "has the right of way" in Texas, ever. Texas law prescribes when one person/motorist must yield the right of way to another. It means something entirely different. A bicycle does not have any more right of way than an ambulance running "code 3" or a garbage truck does. Austin has an incredible problem with the interaction between bicycles and motor vehicles. Many bicyclists act as though none of the rules apply to them. In return, many drivers have no respect for bicyclists. They would all coexist peacefully if ALL of the bicyclists obeyed ALL the rules of the road. If Austin PD was truly interested in making the roads safer, they would issue a few thousand citations to the bicyclists for their stupid behavior. I have cited numerous bicyclists for a variety of violations from running red lights to speeding. Yes, speeding. 45 in a 30 zone. That guy was happy to have proof he was going 45 MPH on his bicycle. Bragging rights I guess.

Thank you. Since no "bicycle driver education course" is required prior to driving a bicycle, that's a good "education course" which might save their lives, a "lesson plan" which might be remembered due to the cost of a fine. Thank you for serving and protecting.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    All I know is I'm happy I spent extra money on my brakes for my car. I've been cut-off by bicyclists before crossing roads, or making turns without hand signals. Twice I've had to SLAM on the brakes to avoid hitting a biker who decided to cross a 2-3 lane road at a whim. This was not at a cross walk or designated crossing point, I think it's called "jaywalking" most places but on a bike it might be "jaypedaling" lol.

I've also had close calls with people running across busy roads on foot, and once a guy trying to cross a highway as his car ran out of gas (I think) and he stalled out in the left lane.

I maybe drive the smallest and lightest car on the boards, so all you trucks and SUV drivers keep a look out! Sometimes I feel invisible as bigger trucks and SUV's do not see me and merge into my lane. Pretty nerve shattering to look over and see a door handle only inches from your window!

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    All I know is I'm happy I spent extra money on my brakes for my car. I've been cut-off by bicyclists before crossing roads, or making turns without hand signals. Twice I've had to SLAM on the brakes to avoid hitting a biker who decided to cross a 2-3 lane road at a whim. This was not at a cross walk or designated crossing point, I think it's called "jaywalking" most places but on a bike it might be "jaypedaling" lol.

I've also had close calls with people running across busy roads on foot, and once a guy trying to cross a highway as his car ran out of gas (I think) and he stalled out in the left lane.

I maybe drive the smallest and lightest car on the boards, so all you trucks and SUV drivers keep a look out! Sometimes I feel invisible as bigger trucks and SUV's do not see me and merge into my lane. Pretty nerve shattering to look over and see a door handle only inches from your window!

Numerous times at the law office from which I retired, we'd have parents come in to try to file a Personal Injury case against a driver when it was their kid on a skateboard, skates or bicycle who were at fault. Hated to be the one who had to do it, but often asked the parents why they didn't teach their at-fault kid the "rules of the road" and why their kid had no safety equipment nor required equipment/lighting etc..... but that was all after it was "hindsight" on their part.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Numerous times at the law office from which I retired, we'd have parents come in to try to file a Personal Injury case against a driver when it was their kid on a skateboard, skates or bicycle who were at fault. Hated to be the one who had to do it, but often asked the parents why they didn't teach their at-fault kid the "rules of the road" and why their kid had no safety equipment nor required equipment/lighting etc..... but that was all after it was "hindsight" on their part.

But, it must be someone elses fault my little Johnny got hurt/killed. I want a payday to reward my lack of parenting! THAT is one of the major problems in this country...law suits over everything. The entitlement mentality run amok.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I still can't figure out why all the "cyclists around here are such asshats! I can't figure out how someone can sit there and defend these brain dead, suicide jockeys that get on these winding ass roads think that they can do whatever the hell they want to! They ride on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic around turns and they will not get out of the damn way. I can't even count the number of idiots on bicycles I've come pretty close to killing as in DRT kind of wreck because I went around a corner and there are three in that lane. 1431 in between Cedar Park and Marble Falls comes to mind that is were the incident I just described took place. I can't imagine what you defenders must be like on your bicycles on winding roads you're likely getting mad because you do this stupid crap and throw a fit on the side of the rode when you are riding in someones lane going straight at them when they round a corner. I wounder how many people die a year from that childish behavior?

saltydog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    el paso
    it's interesting to read all the replies that accuse the bicyclist for not obeying laws. pointing the finger at cyclist and hardly any willing to accept the fact the motorist are by far more irresponsible. since the red light cameras have gone up here locally thousands of tickets have been issued to red light runners, failure to stop before making a right turn on red. these are people who have taken drivers ed or were found competent to drive by exam. our freeways daily are log jammed due to a motorist involved in accidents. why? just look at the other drivers on the freeway next time your out and just see how many are on their cell phones or doing something that has taken their attention from the road. just the other night i guess a drunk driver hit and damaged 2 cars on the block i live on. then hit a car with a woman and her child further down. took off and left. according to some here this would be appropriate behavior. fortunately they were both okay

android

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Austin, TX
    it's interesting to read all the replies that accuse the bicyclist for not obeying laws. pointing the finger at cyclist and hardly any willing to accept the fact the motorist are by far more irresponsible.

You can tell who the cyclists are.

Alright, it's time to put your ammo where you mouth is.

Here's the deal. We'll pick two spots in Austin with either stop signs or traffic lights. I'll bring my video camera and you bring yours. We'll count traffic infractions by bicycles and motor vehicles for an hour at each spot. At the end we'll decide whether cars and trucks break more traffic laws or bicycles. For the purposes of this exercise, motorcycles won't count for either side. I'll put up 500 rounds of 9mm ammo. Vehicles committing multiple infractions will get a count for each infraction they break.

At the end, we'll count it up and the winner will be declared, we'll shake hands, go do some shooting at Red's and call it a good time.

If motor vehicles commit more offenses, then the motor vehicle proponent will forever have to defend the bicyclists on this forum from this day forward and you forfeit your ammo. If the bicyclists commit more offenses, whenever the motorist accuse the cyclists of being wreckless lawbreakers, I will concede that it is true and you get my ammo.

Any takers?

android

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Austin, TX
    umm.....isn't there alot more motor vehicles than bicycles, for a comparison?

Shouldn't matter.

The assertion made by the bicycle haters is that the motorist are all upstanding, law abiding citizens being inconvenienced by the renegade, bicycle riding criminals. So, if they are right, there will be very few laws broken by motorists.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, but the assertion made by the bicycle lovers is that bikers are never to blame. Both sides have their issues, but on the whole I've found that bicyclists tend to be bigger tards when they go that route.

Top Bottom