Bicycling After 25 Year of not Riding

cycleguy2300

Mar 19, 2010
Austin, Texas
I don't remember ever breaking, or wearing out a chain when I was a kid.
Single speed or derailleurs on your bike as a kid? Single speed chains are slightly larger and having the chain run in a straight(er) line significantly reduces wear. In the pro ranks for time-trials they will run massive front chain rings so at their anticipated speed the chain is going straight back and not slightly off the the side.

Also, the taller teeth on a single speed is more tolerant of wear than the shorter teeth of a derailleured bike.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
May 28, 2008
Mustang Ridge
Single speed or derailleurs on your bike as a kid? Single speed chains are slightly larger and having the chain run in a straight(er) line significantly reduces wear. In the pro ranks for time-trials they will run massive front chain rings so at their anticipated speed the chain is going straight back and not slightly off the the side.

Also, the taller teeth on a single speed is more tolerant of wear than the shorter teeth of a derailleured bike.

Never thought about the physics of it. Thanks!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
TGT Supporter
May 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Tx.

Both.
Single speed as a youngster, then derailleurs as I got older.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
May 28, 2008
Mustang Ridge
8830C19E-C84E-47E6-BB25-2A539DA77D77.jpeg
This one put me at
3D43DF6A-D969-4B06-AA76-C3C758D6AAD8.jpeg

Top Bottom