Bicycling After 25 Year of not Riding

cycleguy2300

Mar 19, 2010
Austin, Texas
Since this thread has become the clearinghouse for all things bike, I wanted to see what you folks recommend.

I've always ridden the Academy special. I currently don't have a bike and I'd like to save my pennies for something a bit nicer.

I will probably primarily be trail riding as I don't want to tangle with road traffic though I will do some riding around the neighborhood and paved bike paths.

Can someone recommend a decent mid level bike suitable for that? I'm not fixed on a price but a ball park in my mind's eye is no more than $1,000. Is that reasonable?
I would do some innernets research and then check craigslist.

Lots of great bikes to be had in that price range.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
Nov 15, 2015
Lake Jackson
Since this thread has become the clearinghouse for all things bike, I wanted to see what you folks recommend.

I've always ridden the Academy special. I currently don't have a bike and I'd like to save my pennies for something a bit nicer.

I will probably primarily be trail riding as I don't want to tangle with road traffic though I will do some riding around the neighborhood and paved bike paths.

Can someone recommend a decent mid level bike suitable for that? I'm not fixed on a price but a ball park in my mind's eye is no more than $1,000. Is that reasonable?
Like Hoji, I have a $700 bike. I dont call it "entry" for my budget but it is compared to what the big guys are riding.
My wife doesn't ride nearly enough to warrant an expensive. What I did for her Academy special bike was to take it to the local bike shop where I got mine and have them work on it. They do a spring tune up or after storage tune up. They go over everything. It was worth the $85 and the bike has lasted for 3 years since.

Sasquatch

Apr 20, 2020
Magnolia
I picked up a pair of freebie bikes from a neighbor a couple weeks ago - decent "entry level" bikes that had been sitting in her barn for 10+ years. They are rough. I replaced inner tubes (probably should do tires too, but new tubes got it on the road) a new seat (rats had destroyed the seats) and a set of grips for my bike - the old grips literally started dissolving - I cut them off and added new bolt-on grips.

Discovered my bike also needs new front shifter - and both derailers need tuned. Its an 18 speed, but because it won't shift into the tallest gear in front, or the two tallest and the shortest gear in the rear, its basically an 8 speed.

Its enough to get me on the road in the neighborhood though, and with the workout regimen that I began a couple weeks ago, this is a great addition. My goal for now is to do 2+ miles 2-3 times per week and work up in both miles and intervals. I'm exercising with kettles and dumbbells 5-6X per week now trying to get back into the fat-burn & weightloss routine I was pre-covid. I haven't been on a bike in 15+ years before this week, as my last bike was a Walmart special that broke a derailer and caused me to have a nasty wreck, and I never got around to fixing that bike or riding again.

Feels good! I need to find a bike mechanic and have him/her do a once over on the bikes after I do what I can, my wife would like to ride with me.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
May 28, 2008
Mustang Ridge
Been teaching this week. Got another longer ride tomorrow morning. Its been a super fun week.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
Teaching new class of bike patrol ? The Town, err, Ladybird Lake route looks like the one I frequently see new bike officers getting trained at.

baboon

TGT Addict
May 6, 2008
In a dumpy house on an expensive lot

tsugsr

Sep 14, 2014
View attachment 232006 Short, painful ride this morning. Anyone recommend good riding gloves. 40’s and my fingers while on the bike is not a combo I like.
Yeah, I am a sissy about my fingers getting cold.
I wear a pair of Kingsbom “-40f” winter gloves I got off amazon...the -40 is in quotes because after long periods riding, my fingers get kinda cold so I doubt they would do much in -40.

I have no dexterity to draw much less shoot, had to practice getting them off quick. May check out a pair of those ones posted above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

Apr 20, 2020
Magnolia
Funny you mentioned gloves Hoji, I've been wearing regular mechanic's work gloves when I ride for the simple fact that if I wipe out, I want my hands protected a bit. I have the kind with the reinforced knuckles. I don't play well with cold hands either - I haven't tried an early morning ride yet, I've done mine in the afternoon.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads