9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Big day in Texas history folks: the start of the 13 days to GLORY—-
    *Commandancy of the Alamo
    Bejar, Feby. 24, 1836
    To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World
    Fellow citizens & compatriots
    I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country VICTORY OR DEATH.
    William Barret Travis,
    Lt. Col. comdt.
    P.S. The Lord is on our side. When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn. We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.**
    ALAMO.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I can trace my lineage back to those days in Texas. My allegiance is with Texas. Remember the Alamo!

Haystack,

UNDERSTOOD.

While most of our family was still in northern Mississippi during the Texas Revolution, I have one ancestor (Reuben Pleasant Banks), who responded to the call for volunteers for Texas Independence, got on his mule & left (what is NOW) Franklin County, arrived in Bexar 4 or 5 days after The Alamo Fortress fell & thereafter went looking for the Texas Army.

He arrived in GEN Houston's camp about 01APR1836 & participated in the fight at San Jacinto.

Nothing is known of his adventures after San Jacinto until the family Bible indicates that he married Mary Elizabeth Waters at the Baptist Church of Gray Rock, Texas on the first Sunday in June 1836 & thereafter farmed until his death on 04FEB1858.
    (Like the vast majority of "ordinary Texans" of that period, little is known about his life, other than that the church records indicate that he & his wife had 8 boys & 6 girls.)
    According to "The Special Texas Centennial Edition" of THE FRANKLIN COUNTY MESSENGER (published in January 1936) , Reuben Pleasant Banks & his wife Mary were listed as "Early Settlers of Franklin County" & that both are buried at Gray Rock Cemetery.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Haystack,

UNDERSTOOD.

While most of our family was still in northern Mississippi during the Texas Revolution, I have one ancestor (Reuben Pleasant Banks), who responded to the call for volunteers for Texas Independence, got on his mule & left (what is NOW) Franklin County, arrived in Bexar 4 or 5 days after The Alamo Fortress fell & thereafter went looking for the Texas Army.

He arrived in GEN Houston's camp about 01APR1836 & participated in the fight at San Jacinto.

Nothing is known of his adventures after San Jacinto until the family Bible indicates that he married Mary Elizabeth Waters at the Baptist Church of Gray Rock, Texas on the first Sunday in June 1836 & thereafter farmed until his death on 04FEB1858.
    (Like the vast majority of "ordinary Texans" of that period, little is known about his life, other than that the church records indicate that he & his wife had 8 boys & 6 girls.)
    According to "The Special Texas Centennial Edition" of THE FRANKLIN COUNTY MESSENGER (published in January 1936) , Reuben Pleasant Banks & his wife Mary were listed as "Early Settlers of Franklin County" & that both are buried at Gray Rock Cemetery.

yours, satx

My great great grandfather also fought at San Jacinto. He continued to serve Texas for several more years before eventually marrying and settling in Fayette County. He survived the Dawson Massacre and escaped from the Castle Perote prison in Mexico where the survivors were taken. After his escape he managed to get on a boat in Veracruz and return to Texas. He was granted several sections of land by Texas for his service to the republic, none of which he ever claimed. He thought that receiving payment in land for his service was somehow not the right thing to do. We have paperwork on two of the sections but without a claim the land reverted back to Texas. His name is on a monument at La Grange on a hill overlooking the Colorado River, and his name is mentioned in the archives at the San Jacinto museum. I also have a picture of him hanging on the wall in my house. His name was David Smith Kornegay, and he was born in 1810 in North Carolina. He arrived in Texas in 1830 and settled near Waco.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom