DK Firearms

Big Dot vs. Trijicon vs. Meprolight vs. etc......please help.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jumpdog789

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Austin
    I am looking to get some night sights installed on my Sig P6. After searching around, I am finding it tough to make a decision. Is there anyone out there with any of these, or any other brand, that could share some insight? Also, I bought my gun at Heritage so I was going to have them order and install them. Does anyone else have a better place that sells/installs them?
    Gun Zone Deals

stainone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    temple,texas
    i think all 3 are a good choice, i like the big dots best but have the trijicons on two of my guns are are very bright.McBrides is the only gun shop i know of in Austin.good luck!

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Big dots are great sights. But they are combat sights, and not what would be good for shooting "groups" at the range. If you are looking for a system to learn as a defense deal, then these are good. You train to see only the big front sight, and you will be able to hit critical targets. Not MIA shots, but quick target acquisition and follow up shots.

thopkins22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Houston
    I really dislike Big Dots. I wanted to like them...and like many others I was convinced by James Yeager that I needed big dots if I was going to have a "fighting pistol." Yeager has made his bread and butter selling the "warrior" image and has managed to make these sights part of that image. He can shoot them well...he's a better shooter than most people ever will be though.

I tried them for two years but I was never terribly accurate with them...as in I could get torso hits at speed but not A zone hits. This is unacceptable, because it's generally accepted that you're accuracy will degrade around 50% when you're in a close quarters gunfight.

You can be faster, more accurate at distance, and more accurate at speed with traditional notch and post pistol sights than with big dots. But I'm supposed to believe that somehow combat makes something that is not very easy to use efficiently better than it was before?

If you're a novice to shooting fast and are learning how to track your sights during recoil, then the big dots will be easier to use...for a while. But you will outgrow them quickly.

The fact that no major agencies/competitive shooters use Big Dots should be a clue. I now use Warren Tactical two dot tritium sights on my Glock 19s and my M&P and haven't looked back. I don't know what two dot sights are available for Sigs, but presumably Heinie's version called the straight 8's is available for them.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I don't like the big dot sights either, for no reason in particular. I bought a gun that had them and just didn't like them. I will probably buy TruGlo TFO sights for all my night sight needs from here on out. I really like the tritium/ fiber optic combo. Log On | TRUGLO, Inc. Just in case you aren't familiar with them. Click on firearm, then handgun, then the third option, TFO.

jumpdog789

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Austin
    Thank you guys very much. I have eliminated the big dot sights. I think I will see if I can hunt down some Trijicons. Again, thank you for your input.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Is it Trijicon that makes all night sights componants for all guns? Isn't there something to do with the radioactive contract/ permits for dealing in those kinds of materials? I thought I heard that Trijicon sells all the parts to other manufacturers, and they just sell them under their own name.

cougartex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I have Trijicons installed on my Beretta Cougar. If you send your slide and the night sights to Trijicon, for $30 they will install them. Turnaround is about 10 days. Get an RA# from Trijicon before sending (see Trijicon's website).

jumpdog789

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Austin
    Well, I planned on running over to Red's and getting the sights and having them install them today until I called. They want $102.00 for the sights that I can order for $69.99 + free shipping here => Trijicon | Sig 3 Dot Bright & Tough Night Sight Set | SG01 Plus, they want an additional $35.00 to install them. The guys at Heritage will install for free if I buy the sights from them, and only charge $20.00 if I bring in my own sights. I guess I am ordering the sights and then going to visit the guys at Heritage when they come in. It's too bad Red's is that much more expensive, because I do enjoy dealing with the guys there.

stainone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    temple,texas
    i'm always about the best price but 20-25 bucks to support a good local shop ?? i would rather give a little more and get to know the guy's better so in time they will give you the best price cause they value you as a customer or you can say (hay man work with i'm in here all the time)
    hope this helps just my 2cents

jumpdog789

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Austin
    i'm always about the best price but 20-25 bucks to support a good local shop ?? i would rather give a little more and get to know the guy's better so in time they will give you the best price cause they value you as a customer or you can say (hay man work with i'm in here all the time)
    hope this helps just my 2cents

I would agree if it was a small difference, but it's almost $50.00. I like the idea with Heritage installing for free if I get my sights from them. I will always consider Reds when looking to make a purchase, but until they come close to matching others in town, I will end up elsewhere.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I have had trij night sights on two of my guns. I like them, though I do wish the front and back were different colors. Might try mepro's on the next one to get a real good comparison.

Top Bottom