• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MAA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2009
    Houston
    Evening. I've decided to buy a handgun. My reasons are because I'm afraid it will become more difficult to obtain one in the future, crime in Houston is just too far gone now, and I'm moving in with my wife in to a part of town that isn't particularly pleasant for job purposes. I have no experience with handguns or large calibers. I have shot small caliber rim fire target rifles for a long time and even built some of my own (17hmr/22lr). The gun will be for concealed carry and home defense.

I would like to buy a Glock. They're cheap, reliable, and I know it will shoot straight and work great right out of the box. I just want some advice on a good caliber and model to purchase. The thing is, I have big hands, but my forearms/wrists aren't particularly strong. I just was looking for some advice since I've never purchased a handgun before.
    Target Sports

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    The best thing to do is try before you buy. There is about to be a HUGE can of worms opened in this thread about caliber and size. There is no right answer except what you can shoot well and comfortably. I own handguns in the three "major" calibers and find myself carrying a 9mm most of the time, but with the arrival of my Glock 23 on Friday that may change. Depending on what part of town you are in you are welcome to give my guns a try......

MAA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2009
    Houston
    Thanks for the reply. I just want something mainly for self defense and conceal carry right now, but I have a feeling that my interest will expand as it did with small bore rifles. I wan't something with stopping power, but something I can handle as well. It has to feel comfortable in my hand, I have to be able to acquire quickly, and I have to be able to fire it with out too much kick back or pain in my wrists and be able to re-acquire and fire as many times as necessary. The thing is, I'm not a midget or anything, but I'm a skinny guy and I'm not sure how well I could manage a hand cannon or something. Granted I wont be pumping rounds through it all day, but if I do need to use it one day, then I want to feel confident and trust my gun. I did go to a local store, I held a G36. It was horrible. The grip was way way to short and I promise If I fired that thing it would go flying out of my hand. I held a G19 and it was much more comfortable. I would like a new grip regardless of the model though, something a big more sticky and comfortable. And some trigger work to lighten it, Like I said I have weaker than average hands and don't want to feel like I have to crush the trigger before it fires. But yeah that salesman was obviously discouraging me from the G19 saying it wasn't a powerful enough gun for home defense. Try before you buy is always best, and I do intend to at least hold if not test fire more models, but I also don't want to go in to the store looking like an ass and say "dur I need a gun". And I'm not trying to be whiny but most gun stores aren't really receptive to a brown guy with a brown last name walking in and asking about a handgun for self defense. That's why I came online to seek advice. I live in the westchase area, by the way.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I have a Glock 17L 9MM. I think you'd do just fine with something similar. Everybody has differing opinions but the 17 is inexpensive and very reliable. Good place to start if nothing else. Once you get one of anything... head to the range and get to know it like you know your hands. It might as well be a rock if you aren't completely familiar with it in an emergency.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    All that is easily accomplished as far as the grip ges. With the trigger there are also several options, but I would be carefull lightening the trigger too much on a carry gun, the 5.5 lb trigger n the glock is plenty light as it is. As far as the other, I work part time at a shop up by Tomball/Spring and would be happy to help you out.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Strength in regards to handguns isn't really a huge issue for the normal calibers. Most of the control aspect in a handgun comes from hand placement, rather than strength.

I keep and use a Glock 19 at home. It's 9mm and I don't feel inadequate with it. Honestly anyone that tells you that a 9mm is inadequate is close minded in my opinion. What counts more is shot placement, caliber is secondary... at best.

If a gun store won't answer your questions, presumably, because of your skin color then I'd suggest spending your money elsewhere.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Don't let them talk you out of a 9mm as a defense gun. With today's ammo, it will do the job. Federal HST is my prefered ammo, and in 147 Grain, I'd hate to be hit in the chest with one. (There of course are other great 9mm defense rounds)

You may be worring a bit too much about recoil. My wife, who weights in the 120's and can just manage to rack the slide on a G19, shoots it just fine. Matter of fact, she took her CHL test with a G19. Shorts who posts here, is a small gal as well, and she shoots a 1911 .45 one handed. Pretty good I might add. It all takes a little practice.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    9mm works just fine for self defense. Proper shot placement is the most important factor. 9mm is a decent compromise caliber, as in a full sized or slightly compact handgun, it is generally very easy to control recoil wise to the point where things become much more effortless.

There are some simple things you can probably do to build up your forearm and wrist strength. One of the easiest is to use a hand gripper like these:

Heavy Grip Handgrippers- Hand Grippers, grippers, handgripper, wrist, strength
    Pro Hands by GRIPMASTER Hand exerciser - finger strengthener $11.49

There is no such thing as knock down power. It is a physical impossibility for a firearm bullet to knock someone to the ground. If it were possible, then according to Newton's second law of motion, when you fired the gun you too would be thrown to the ground (the whole equal and opposites reaction). You will constantly hear about "knock down power" though if you are ever around a bunch of people at a range, gun store, etc. It is a fallacy derived entirely from Hollywood.

ambidextrous1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My 105 pound ex-wife, with small hands and not particularly strong wrists was able to shoot a full-size Government Model .45 ACP effectively and confidently. I'm not suggesting that you go that way, but this anecdotal story tends to reinforce previous comments in this thread.

The best suggestion you've received so far is to "try before you buy", and you will find friends here and elsewhere who will let you fire their pistols at the range.

If you're training primarily for self defense, endurance isn't a factor; it's not necessary or appropriate to fire hundreds of rounds in a single session; but regular practice is appropriate to ensure that you and your firearm will perform if that terrible situation arises.

Shot placement is your number one priority; caliber, firearm type, mindset and smooth presentation are important, but secondary elements.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    when I first got into handguns, I went to a sporting goods store and bought a grip strengthener, just two handles linked by a spring ... there have been amazing advances since then, tho those are still available ... 10 minutes or so each night while you're watching TV and you'll be amazed at the change ... if you don't want to exercise, I'd start with 9mm, rent a few and see how they feel ... however, even .45s aren't terribly hard to control ...

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    If a gun store won't answer your questions, presumably, because of your skin color then I'd suggest spending your money elsewhere.

+1

It also might be because the gun store people don't know what they are talking about.

Don't let someone talk you out of a 9mm, if you don't want them too.

I like the Glock 19, personally. If you don't like the grips of the glocks, you might look at the springfield XD's. They are very simliar, but people tend to like one a lot more than the other.

Glock 19 and G17 are common enough guns that you can rent them at shooting ranges.

Good luck.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Shoot whatever you shoot best. I'd really advise a long gun (carbine or shotgun) for the home defense side of the equation, though. They're much easier to get hits on target with, especially in high-stress situations.

Think about it; how often would you miss an 8" target at 10 feet with one of your rimfires? I bet you wouldn't even have to use the sights. Get what I'm saying? ;)

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I personally carry a .45, but that is just me. The 9mm is a good round for personal protection, with the proper bullets. I'm going to suggest 3 guns to check out instead of the Glock. Browning Hi-Power( best pointing 9mm pistol JM Browning ever created), the Kahr models, and the Taurus PT-111. My wife carries the Taurus and likes it. The slide isn't that hard to operate either. My weak handed sister-in-law shoots a kahr. She holds the slide with her left hand and pushes with her right hand on the frame to rack it. It's a stretch but you might even look at the .380's. I consider them to be the very bottom of the pile for PD but the recoil is less in the ones I've shot.

You are right about the G36. Great gun but they are a handfull with most ammo until you get used to them. Put some +P Cor-bons in it and I'll show you what recoil is all about.

Scott_F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    CSTX
    Addressing the weak wrists... get some small dumbells from Walmart or somewhere and strengthen your wrists.

In the mean time, I'd suggest given your description of your wrist, I'd go with a high capacity 9mm.

All that being said, I'm a huge 45 fan like the guy above. I carry a USPc45 all the time and have a full sized USP45 as my go to home defense pistol.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I have to concur with most of the comments. You'll be safe with the 9mm. I'd check out the .40 and .45 before you buy, because you might be surprised. They're not as mean and nasty as most people think. I'm partial to the .40 S&W because it penetrates like a .45 ACP, strikes with nearly the kinetic energy of the .45, but I can carry nearly 2x the ammo in a similar platform. There are many good arguments for the 9mm and .45 ACP.

Don't buy until you try.

We offer a "Guns and Ammo" private lesson where you'll get to shoot 5 different guns of different types, calibers and manufacturers. Ammo is included. I usually provide a couple of 9mms, a .40 S&W, a compact .45 ACP and a 38 Special. Drop me a note if you're interested.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'd avoid a 380 auto. Ammo is just too hard to find right now. I'm starting to find 9, 40, less 45, but it can be done. I'm talking about the reasonably priced ammo, not the more expensive than gold ammo.

I haven't seen 380 on the shelves. I've gotten to academy a few hours too late once, but that is as close as I've been.

Top Bottom