• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    They are at least working on their illegal problem. New bill signed by the governor there shows promise. Since the feds can't handle the thing, they are doing what they can. Good news for the AZ taxpayers, they are using prison labor!!

Governor Brewer signs bill that starts border fence construction

Monday, 02 May 2011 17:35
    Governor Brewer signs bill that starts border fence construction

Phoenix, AZ--Governor Brewer has signed SB 1406 into law. Sponsored by Republican Senator Steve Smith, SB 1406 allows for the construction and maintenance of a fence along the Arizona-Mexico border. The legislation provides for an interstate compact, which will allow the Governor to work with other states to build and manage the fence. Additionally, inmate labor, at 50 cents/hour, will be used to construct the fence.

SB 1406 is a major new step in enforcing and ensuring border security. “The federal government has put states like Arizona on the back-burner for far too long, making flawed claims that the border has never been more secure,” says Sen. Smith. “Many in my district have seen the terrors of drug cartels, gang activity, death, and destruction of the land firsthand.”

With the Governor’s signature, Arizona will now be able to work with other states to build a fence that will significantly reduce the infiltration of illegal immigrants unlawfully crossing the border on a daily basis.

“For proof that a well-built fence really works, all you need to do is look at the progress in Yuma County ,” says Sen. Smith. In 2006, Yuma built a triple-layered wall, standing 20 feet high and reinforced by cement-filled steel piping, steel mesh, and wire.

Wednesday, at a meeting of the Joint Border Security Advisory Committee, Yuma County Chief Deputy Leon Wilmot noted that before the wall was built, he responded to reports of robberies, smuggling, rapes, and killings on a daily basis. Since its construction, he relished in the fact that such reports now are almost non-existent.

Now, border counties will be able to see the same type of progress experienced in Yuma . A website will be launched and maintained by the Joint Border Security Committee, and through this website people can make donations that will go toward the construction of this fence. Its construction will be privately funded, utilizing the services of volunteers and inmate labor. According to Department of Corrections Director Charles Ryan, there are currently about 6,000 prison inmates available and qualified for this kind of work.
    Guns International

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    How poetic would that be: Illegal commits a crime, found guilty and sentenced. Works on the very fence that will help to keep him out when he is paroled and deported. CLASSIC!!!

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    How poetic would that be: Illegal commits a crime, found guilty and sentenced. Works on the very fence that will help to keep him out when he is paroled and deported. CLASSIC!!!

Sounds to me like an easy way for said illegal to build structural instability into the wall.

My solution: Just shoot 'em when caught. :p

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    What, the labor or the shooting?
    Using prisoners for state labor is a very good method of reducing the states spending.
    You got any idea how much the state spends to mow the HWY's? Road paving, tree trimming, and trash clean up are just a few things the state can save money on by using prisoners.
    Im not saying it should be voluntary by the prisoners either. You go to prison, Your going to work for the Tax Payers!

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Using prisoners for state labor is a very good method of reducing the states spending.
    You got any idea how much the state spends to mow the HWY's? Road paving, tree trimming, and trash clean up are just a few things the state can save money on by using prisoners.
    Im not saying it should be voluntary by the prisoners either. You go to prison, Your going to work for the Tax Payers!

I totally agree. Put 'em to work! Our prisons have become country clubs. Guard looks at them wrong and they can write him up!?! THEY'RE CRIMINALS! Three hots and a cot and a job at $0.50 per hour is all they should get. No suing their victims because they were caught, no big screen tv, cable, internet, etc...

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    While I agree with making prisoners do that type of labor, I've gotta admit to you guys that I've got a little NIMBY syndrome about it.
    (That's Not In My BackYard, for those who don't speak acronymese ;) )
    I like the idea of making them build a giant hellacious fence at the border, but after that I don't really want them on the streets and highways in my town.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Sounds to me like an easy way for said illegal to build structural instability into the wall.
    I was thinking the same thing. If not intentionally, but even if out of sear apathy and ineptitude. I hope there's people thre inspecting the quality. Also, why do they have the pay the prisoners 50¢/hr? Just make them work...

If Texas were to start building a wall, I'd volunteer to help.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I was thinking the same thing. If not intentionally, but even if out of sear apathy and ineptitude. I hope there's people thre inspecting the quality. Also, why do they have the pay the prisoners 50¢/hr? Just make them work...

If Texas were to start building a wall, I'd volunteer to help.

I just put that in there because I thought it they might need a few bucks when they get out to look for a job. I know, that's crazy talk. LOL

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    While I agree with making prisoners do that type of labor, I've gotta admit to you guys that I've got a little NIMBY syndrome about it.
    (That's Not In My BackYard, for those who don't speak acronymese ;) )
    I like the idea of making them build a giant hellacious fence at the border, but after that I don't really want them on the streets and highways in my town.

you are strapped though right? so who give a damn. besides, a sherriff ona horse with a 12 gauge, and some ankle chains go a long way.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    you are strapped though right? so who give a damn. besides, a sherriff ona horse with a 12 gauge, and some ankle chains go a long way.
    Yes. I've got adequate means of defense here.
    My point is that I don't want to have to shoot someone! This seems like it would increase the odds of that happening.
    I know that high risk prisoners wouldn't be on such details, and that most of the ones on them would not attempt escape. But there's always that one chance.
    And I do realize how stupid this sounds. They could just as reasonable escape from prison right now.

I'm willing to concede that my feelings on this issue are probably irrational.

Top Bottom