Join TexasGunTalk

Bill collector call on a Sunday? WTF.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by candcallen, Dec 8, 2019.

1. candcallen

candcallen Well-Known

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I never answer the house phone anymore since we just dont use it. In fact I dont think it's been off the hook in 4 or 5 years. But this morning it lit up and being as I was still zombified/mostly asleep I blindly grabbed it.

The slick bastard said Hi Chris how are you doing. Still groggy and thinking it was a family member or friend I responded in kind and they said I need to talk to you about a hospital stay from 1992. Dafuq? I say now waking up I said who is this. They proceeded to tell me that while in the hospital for back surgery with Dr... you had an unpaid balance of 1500 dollars. They got the hospital, date and Drs name correct.

Being unprepared to repel boarders I didnt have access to the air horn i use in instances like this so I stalled for time while I looked for it. I mean they deserve a terminal case of tinnitus for this crap right? I asked who this was and they gave a name like rj2 recovery services, sounded like that anyways.

Pissed that I cant find my air horn I asked where to send the check to and dont give me a Ugandan address either. Of course they would be happy to take it over the phone. I laughed and said you're smarter than you sound but let me tell you where you screwed up. First you called on the weekend, 2nd your trying to collect a debt from almost 30 years ago which you cant do and as such you have no leverage to compel payment as you cant sue me or ding my credit and thirdly...this is the really important part...that Dr died 12 years ago, the hospital was torn down probably 15 years ago and a new medical center is there now, the entity that owned it has changed hands a dozen times and my employer provided insc that was all but 100 percent full coverage with only 50 bucks copays for a surgery like that. Add to that I've never had an outstanding or unpaid bill in my life and you failed spectacularly in you planning stages. I said did you miss that day the the Ugandan school of internet and phone scams for dummies?

He stammered out, that the police were on their way to serve a debt lein and debtor arrest warrant. I said now your not even trying and where did your American accent go, you sound brittish now.

He hung up I blocked the number, spoofed probably, with a Wyoming prefix. So I guess it was more of a fishing call/scam but I wonder how he got the info he did and my number in Texas since the dr and surgery was in Scottsdale AZ. That was pre internet and computerized medical records and I wouldnt even know how to get them.

Maybe a data breech from a DR/surgeon in Texas who scanned copies of that info into a chart here?

I guess nothing's safe anymore.

just country and Inspector43 like this.
  2. lonestardiver

lonestardiver Well-Known

Dec 12, 2010
    Briar
    Actually it is a scam using info from a data breech.
    They spout about being served with a lawsuit in order to scare people into paying up on something to prevent a judgement being placed and not knowing their rights.

My wife got one similar to this...also medical, using her maiden name. Supposedly they were going to send proof...never arrived. Never heard back.

Googled the “company” they purported they were lawyers and there is a collections company with that name....again well past the statute of limitations with which they can attempt any of what they were claiming. Claiming they were a lawyer is another no-no.

What time did they call on a Sunday? If before 0900, that is another fail according to the FTC.

3. JCC

JCC Active Member

May 1, 2018
    US
    Pretty sure after 8AM and before 9PM any day is fair game. I may be mistaken.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Yeah, I think the SOL has expired on that one. I believe it's 4 years from the date you went into arrears. In Texas anyway.

5. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Ego kills talent TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    That why we dont have a home phone. Also, any number I dont know on the cell gets muted.

Sorry bastards messed up your beauty sleep

toddnjoyce likes this.
  6. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    I don't even answer the phone anymore if the person calling is not in my contacts list. If it is real and important, they will leave a message.

Gave up on the landline when AT&T would not keep it working.

Renegade and Southpaw like this.
  7. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 TGT Addict

Nov 7, 2015
    candcallen,

You have far more patience than me.

I would've done the very unoriginal f y and hung up.

8. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'll ask them if they can hold on, and then set the phone down.

just country and vmax like this.
  9. JCC

JCC Active Member

May 1, 2018
    US
    No law says you have to talk to them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce likes this.
  10. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Statute of limitations on a debt? Texas has a 4 year statue for lawsuits, but there seems to be disagreement as to when that time period starts.

Good info here. https://www.westonlegal.com/debt-lawsuits/statute-of-limitations-on-debt-in-texas/

I believe federal law limits calls to between 1p and 5p on Sundays.