• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Houston
    Hello everyone,

I am a officially a gun owner as of yesterday. I purchased the weapon through a F2F transaction, and it was simple give and go, the seller didn't even bother to shake my hand. Anyways, I have read various forums, websites, and gov websites about buying/selling a gun, a bill of sale and no bill of sale, etc... I understand about the whole paper trail issue, how some people don't want to deal with all that, so when I bought the weapon from the seller he merely just ask am I of age and that was it. At first, I was thinking a bill of sale was just preference for buyer, but now I am kinda regretting not getting a bill of sale. Is there anything I can do now to cover my ass for the weapon that I just purchased? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks guys

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I really don't think you ass is uncovered. That is the way I deal with gun sales. Keep a record of when you bought it if it makes you feel better.

If you are concerned about the gun being stolen, check the internet databases that are set up for that sort of thing.

What else would you be concerned about?

Would you be worried about it if you had bought a lawn mower from the guy instead???

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    A BOS isn't required by law. You will be tempted to "what if" it to death, but the bottom line is, they are not required by law.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    There is nothing you can do to cover your ass. Your ass is not exposed, and it will not become exposed. This is a common misconception furthered by TV shows and has given rise to the BOS hysteria.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    News flash....a BOS has NO legal standing unless notarized with Proof of ID of ALL parties.

Even then, all it "proves" is who you bought it from - nothing more. And if someone is out to scam ya, a fake ID isn't that hard to come by.

fullmetal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Houston
    and is there anything else i should do after purchasing my weapon? ie. notify PD or register gun somewhere? or is this is and I can happily go shoot some rounds down range

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    and is there anything else i should do after purchasing my weapon? ie. notify PD or register gun somewhere? or is this is and I can happily go shoot some rounds down range

Yeah - with all due respect turn the gun back to the guy you bought it from until you UNDERSTAND the legal requirements of owning a firearm. Sorry dude - you're either way too naive, or just trollin'.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Actually you should drop it off with a qualified licensed owner until such time as you have passed extensive background checks, years of training, been verified drug free and mentally sound.

I am in Houston and will gladly hold it for you for a few years until you are fully vetted..........................(nominal fee of course.)

Just kidding, congratulations on your new purchase. I hope you enjoy it safely and welcome to the sport, exercising your rights and to being an armed citizen.

fullmetal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Houston
    I know its a sensitive subject, but I just wanna say thanks everyone for the helpful/not helpful advice. I appreciate every ones opinion and jokes whether good or bad.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I know its a sensitive subject, but I just wanna say thanks everyone for the helpful/not helpful advice. I appreciate every ones opinion and jokes whether good or bad.

With that attitude you will fit in just fine here. Now tell us what you bought? (Smith and Wesson 66-2 2.5??) How much you pay? Pictures would be good also. Brag a little......

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

Mine were only partially tongue in cheek, because based on your overall questions, you know VERY little about gun ownership and the accompanying responsibilities therein. You need to do a LOT of studying and research on things. This forum is an excellent place to start - do some serious reading in the plethora of strings already here!

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Mine were only partially tongue in cheek, because based on your overall questions, you know VERY little about gun ownership and the accompanying responsibilities therein. You need to do a LOT of studying and research on things. This forum is an excellent place to start - do some serious reading in the plethora of strings already here!

I would guess he recently moved here from CA or MA or IL and our freedoms seem unbelievable by comparison. I remember when I first came down here from NY/MA. Had no idea how bad it was up there until I saw how Texans live.

Top Bottom