Bill to allow online LTC written course at Governor's desk

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by txinvestigator, Jun 4, 2017.

1. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Holy crap, with whom did you take your class?

2. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If that is the case, that Instructor should be reported.

3. Tcruse

Tcruse Active Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    I suspect that this is the NORM not an exception. An on-line class may actually improve the consistency and quality of the information available.

Kar98 likes this.
  4. V-Tach

V-Tach Well-Known Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    Some kind of Brother in law or special interest money deal....

5. easy rider

easy rider TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Although I've been through classes before in other states I found my instructor here in Texas to be very informative. We didn't watch videos. There were several handouts and he explained them very well. He stopped to answer questions as they come up, and he always had an answer. Of course, although I don't remember how long he had instructed, I do remember it was decades. I had questions also, since at that time I hadn't read all the laws pertaining to LTC for Texas. Being able to get answers to questions that arise at the time that you think to ask is the only real drawback to having an online class.

6. Hoji

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Bullshit. I have sat in on several classes taught by several different instructors( and teach the class as well) and I have not seen what was described. Not even close. DPS takes that very seriously and if they receive a complaint describing that behavior, there will be an auditor in that instructors class in the near future.

It has to be reported for for them to open an investigation though.

7. Kar98

Kar98 Well-Known

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    A review of the class (not by me, mine's there also), from the same time I took it there:

[​IMG]

And one more for good measure:

[​IMG]

Can't seem to find the one where the reviewer was amused by the instructor OC'ing a G19 with TWO 33rd spare mags hanging off his belt. What that reviewer didn't see was the second Glock strapped to that guy's ankle.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  8. Hoji

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Showing videos in lieu of actually conducting instruction was specifically covered in our Instructor course as a huge no-no.

So tell us why you did not report this substandard Instructor?

Worried that you would possibly have to take the class over ?

Sorry you got a turd of an Instructor , that is not the norm.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  9. Kar98

Kar98 Well-Known

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Didn't occur to me until this thread that it might have been substandard.

Nah. I mean other than repeated paperwork which I wouldn't be too keen about. I just hate paperwork. But I am in fact considering --provided it's not too much of a hassle, that is-- to take the class and test again if that's what it takes to get my wife to take it.

10. Hoji

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Texasinvestigator is in the Dallas area now I believe. I would PM him and ask what his class schedule is. I promise you will leave it better informed.

Kar98 likes this.