Binoculars?

Discussion in 'Knives, Tactical Gear, and Survival' started by TX69, Dec 16, 2016.

1. TX69

TX69 TGT Addict

Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I'm looking for a set of binoculars that can be an "all around" for me. I want of course everything in one small package but I know that I won't get it.

I'm wanting a set mostly for deer hunting but then would use them for other uses like sporting events and survival as well. So I want something that is tested and tough with the most amount of power possible. I don't need other toys mounted to it like compasses or range finders but I have been looking at range finders for a separate search.

I've heard that Steiner is a good brand but to be honest I know very little about binoculars since I've never had to buy any.

https://www.amazon.com/Steiner-210-...1481932606&sr=1-5&keywords=steiner+binoculars

[​IMG]
    Recs for a decent set of binoculars? Price does matter. Anything under $400.

2. EmbarkChief

EmbarkChief Member

Jan 25, 2013
    I have two sets of that exact pair. Love the infinite focus, large field of view, and excellent brightness. They are fairly large but for my purposes that isn't an issue. I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Fishhooker

Fishhooker New Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Arlington
    I've occasionally seen used leica binoculars in the 400 to 500 range.

4. dw257

dw257 New Member

May 23, 2016
    Look at pentax before you buy. I have been very happy with mine.

5. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Talk to Clifford at Third Coast Thermal. He can talk to you about the Steiner stuff and he has some on hand.

Www.ThirdCoastThermal.com

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

6. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

I bought a pair of the small Leica pocket binocs. 8x20
    They fold up and can fit in a pocket.
    Honestly they get way more use than the large heavy pair of Nikons.
    Theyre so small You can carry them in the range bag as well as fishing/hunting/etc.
    You might check them out.
    Stieners are excellent glass but kinda big and heavy.

7. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Error 404

Jan 5, 2012
    Before you buy Steiner. Hit the local sports store. Try Vortex, Redfield and Nikon before you buy. They should have some Steiner on display. (Their view isn't really that good.)

Vortex, IMO has the better view of all of them. Nikon and Redfield being close.

Don't get anything larger then 8 power. Unless you have super steady hands. Then get 10. Just know the view will wiggle more, the higher the power.

8. Steiner binocular are built to be disposed of. I had a pair of Commanders that broke twice. First time they replaced them, second time the said they were no longer warrantied. After much bitching about my lifetime warranty they sent me some reconditioned predators to shut me up.

Lesson learned buy Swarovski, Zeiss, Lecia's or other high end optics & pass them down when you no longer use them.

9. Mikewood

Mikewood Well-Known

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
  10. AZ Refugee

AZ Refugee Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Nikon 10x42

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk