Target Sports

Bird hunters, whats your favorite shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Whats your favorite shotgun, when bird hunting?

I started out with a pump (Mossberg 600AT & Remington 870). Then I went to a Remington 11-87. Last year I got a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U at a pretty good price, and really enjoyed shooting it. All are in 12 guage. Not sure what I going to use on opening day of Dove season this year.

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I started out with a Mossberg 500 12ga. but now use a Remington 1100 12ga. I still use the 500 for HD (w/18.5" barrel) but put the 28" barrel on it if buddy wants to go hunting that doesn't have a shotgun. (I really need to talk them into getting one themselves :rolleyes:) Never hunted dove though, all I hunt anymore is pheasant and quail. Might try some turkey this coming season though.

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    LH Benelli M1 mostly. For some reason I always fall back on my old 870 when heading out for ducks though, it just seems to feel better on those longer shots. Plus I don't feel bad if it gets a little abused in the field.

On a side note, I shot Rio shells for the first time last year. The Super Game shells are amazing. The 7.5 shells have 1 1/8oz shot and 3 1/2 dram equivalent for about the same price as most target loads. They're all I'm going to shot this year (except for the random shells I always seem to find in my house and truck).

machinisttx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    12 gauge 870 wingmaster with either a 28" barrel modified or 30" barrel full choke. I've had to walk over 70 paces to pick up birds with both of those barrels--and the birds folded up dead when they were hit.

I did grow quite fond of my 16 gauge 870 wingmaster last season though. It's got a 28" barrel and modified choke. Almost as good as the above 12 gauges, with WAY less recoil. Had to walk 69 paces to pick up one bird, which also folded up dead when hit. That was done with a 2.5 dram equivalent, 1 ounce load of 7.5 shot. I'm about to start handloading for this gun, so the birds better be careful this season.

I still can't hit a damn thing with my 20 gauge wingmaster, but it sure is purty. :D

FWIW, my 12 gauge load is 1 1/8th ounce of hard, target grade shot at around 1420 fps. It's a handload, and it kills on both ends. Call it incentive not to miss much. ;)

machinisttx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I have used my great grandfathers 1950 remington 870 for the last 3 years and I love it.

The old ones pattern better and tighter IMO. Dad has a 50's vintage 870 with 30" full choke barrel that will drop squirrels at 60 paces---with 1 ounce loads of #6 shot. It belonged to my grandfather, and I've hunted one the same places he did with it.

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Benelli Super Black Eagle II... I'm not that experienced of a hunter, but the times I have gone after some waterfowl, that was the smoothest shotgun for me.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I've only ever hunted with 3 guns, browning citori field grade o/u 20ga 28" mod/full choke, rem 870 youth mod barrel, and then a browning citori field grade 12ga 28" bbls with briley chokes. Really partial to the Browning o/u's, they make it easier to keep from losing a bird b/c you put 3 on the ground and forgot where they all hit.

wallhawk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    West Texas
    My favorite is my Miroku 12 gauge O/U. I also have a Remington 11-87 12 gauge and a Remingtion 11-48 16 gauge. The 16 gauge was my Grandfathers and I use it for spring turkey.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    guns4me.........You ever decide to get rid of your 390 I'll take it off your hands. I'm looking for one.

Got plenty to trade or cash : )

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    For dove and quail hunting, for sentimental reasons I use either my deceased father's Auto-5 or my own Auto-5 (which he bought for me when I was 8 in 1973). For ducks and geese, Benelli SBE II.

TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    Started with an older Rem. 1100 in 20ga., then shot Browning Citori 12ga O/U of parents until getting 11-87 Remington in 12ga. Finally, my current dove/pheasant gun is an SKB Gold Medalian O/U with 28" pipes and extended choke tubes....I love this gun. I've even shot it pretty well in windy sporting clay gatherings on the family ranch in the hill country.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    This year I will bring out my 1914 Remington Model 11 12ga that has been completely refinished and show my friends just what the old girl can do!
    I also hunt with a 870TB and a Browning BPS pump.

Top Bottom