• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimmyGreen

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Beeville, Tx
    Recently a friend of mine asked me if i could help her identify a gun she had. As I'm the "go-to" guy in the group when it comes to firearms and history, I politely obliged. She said "Well, I think it's a .22, but I'll bring it by so you can look at it." Well, weeks went by and she finally brought it over.

This was her ".22"
    06302009.jpg

I told her that her ".22" was actually a navy colt in .36 caliber made by Uberti. Her next question was "well, where do i get bullets for it?". I took me a good 15 minutes to get her to comprehend that she had to load it a chamber at a time with BP and lead or cast bullets (well either that or get a Kirst Konversion kit) Showed her the procedure and everything. She asked if i would mind cleaning it and taking a look to make sure the nipples weren't clogged or anything (she said she dry-fired it alot). Naturally, I agreed. Then it got me to thinkin...."Why Jimmy, why do you not have a BP gun?" I've always wanted a '47 Walker, and I've seen some videos of 'em being fired and the rammer dropping every time. I think I recall seeing one with a retainer to keep the rammer in place, but I cant really remember who made it. Google isn't helpin me in that department either.... That being said, with all of the black rifle bugs, and 1911 bugs.. Has any one got bitten by the nostalgic black powder bug? I'm sure some one has.. I mean after all, this -is- Texas!

Jimmy
    ARJ Defense ad

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    No BP for me as of yet. But I do always pause and look the the cool old BP's at gun shows. I guess my want list is too long.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I've never been a fan of the open top Colt style percussion revolvers. I've always had problems with cap jams. The full frame Remington/Spiller and Burr style revolvers have always run better for me.

Musket or rifled musket? Only musket (musketoon, actually) I have is a replica Cook and Brother rifled musket. My all time favorite, and most versatle is my Jim Chambers Pennsylvania Fowler, a 20 bore flint.

Reverendbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    Many years ago I had a Navy .36 just like the one pictured. I also had a 50 cal mountain pistol, a BP 10-ga shotgun, and a T/C 50 cal Hawken. I used the Hawken for the muzzle-loader season in New Mexico for 25 years and harvested a buck with it 24 of those years. It's been 15 years since I fired any of them, but it was a fun hobby...

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    My first pistol was just like the the one there but a 44 my friends and I had a blast shooting that thing at the old trash cans down at the trash pit. I had a Trooper try and arrest me for it once. I finally broke it. And sold it for $50 to a guy I used to work with. I want another one real bad.

jwise

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    Spring
    Not yet... A friend of mine had one like that when we were growing up. We finally got around to shooting it once. That was enough. Too much work... ;)

Top Bottom