• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Waxahachie
    So i recently started doing BJJ and i must say it is a good workout and a lot of fun. Im curious though i'm currently do 1 day of lifting and roughly 1k crunches a week but i feel i need to build my endurance but am unsure of how to do it, i also recently started jogging (9 minute miles) so im pretty slow. What do yall do to build up strength, endurance, and explosion of power for bjj?
    Guns International

Last edited:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Waxahachie
    Also my weeks workouts
    -Monday BJJ 5x50 crunches 5x20 squats 1 mile jog 5x1min speed rope
    -Tuesday BJJ 5x20 dumbbell flyers 5x50 crunches 5x1min speed rope
    -Wednesday Bjj 5x1min speed rope
    -Thursday 1hour lifting Bjj
    - Friday 5 mile jog/Walk 10x50 crunches 5x3min bag punching 5x1min speed rope
    - Saturday BJJ 5 mile walk/jog
    -Sunday--REST__

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Hmm. Looks like you've already got a pretty active workout schedule.
    Dont think I can help witb recommendations..cause my workout plan looks like 7 days of your Sunday.. :)

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    So i recently started doing BJJ and i must say it is a good workout and a lot of fun. Im curious though i'm currently do 1 day of lifting and roughly 1k crunches a week but i feel i need to build my endurance but am unsure of how to do it, i also recently started jogging (9 minute miles) so im pretty slow. What do yall do to build up strength, endurance, and explosion of power for bjj?

HIIT and plyo, sprint workouts. If all you do is train to go/jog slow, all you're good at is jogging slow.

Bump up the intensity with power movements, work on quickness. Put in a cross train day in there. Keep your day of rest.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Waxahachie
    HIIT and plyo, sprint workouts. If all you do is train to go/jog slow, all you're good at is jogging slow.

Bump up the intensity with power movements, work on quickness. Put in a cross train day in there. Keep your day of rest.
    Will do. Also i have noticed that i need more flexibility so im also going to start doing some basic yoga and good streaching. [note: 10 months ago i weighed 285 and couldn't hardly walk a mile now im currently sitting at 245]

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Will do. Also i have noticed that i need more flexibility so im also going to start doing some basic yoga and good streaching. [note: 10 months ago i weighed 285 and couldn't hardly walk a mile now im currently sitting at 245]

You will feel a nice difference in flexibility with the yoga. Personally, I hate the activity, it isn't for me. But it does deliver on flexibility/ROM and strength.

Good job on trimming up. It takes hard work to keep moving in the right direction. If you bump up with some HI stuff you will see a nice bump there too. Also, I'm certain you've heard it before, keep an eye on your diet. It affects your physical results and can really make or break your effort. It doesn't have to be drastic, painful or unenjoyable. Just keep it in the scope of your calorie reqs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Waxahachie
    You will feel a nice difference in flexibility with the yoga. Personally, I hate the activity, it isn't for me. But it does deliver on flexibility/ROM and strength.

Good job on trimming up. It takes hard work to keep moving in the right direction. If you bump up with some HI stuff you will see a nice bump there too. Also, I'm certain you've heard it before, keep an eye on your diet. It affects your physical results and can really make or break your effort. It doesn't have to be drastic, painful or unenjoyable. Just keep it in the scope of your calorie reqs.
    ya my pt is having me keep my diet at 350 calories for b/l/d with 4 150 calorie snacks through out the day.
    So today i got my ass handed to me although i rolled with blue and purple belts, got caught in like 20 choke variants (mostly where they use the gi) and like 10-12 arm bars,americana,kimura,uma plata's although i loose almost instantly its alot of fun and im noticing slight changes and im slightly getting better.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    im not an expert in fitness and ive been thinking abotu doing a BJJ class (dont have the $80/mo at the moment), but isnt core strength and balance one of the critical skills in bjj?

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    about almost 2 yrs ago... i started training in aikido... then moved to judo..... now... ive added mma to my training. I do like the intensity workouts of mma....I continue to go because of the it has greatly raised my fitness level and Im losing weight...

try raising your intensity level by shortning your rest time between your workouts.....ie.. finish one exercise and immediately start the next one..
    good job losing weight...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    . Swim yo ass off. As for your day of lifting. 5sets of ascending Pyramids. Per muscle group. Only move 80% of your max on work sets. Snap the weight up, hold for 2-4secs. Descend slow. 4-6secs. 30sec rest or a minute. 30secs will......just try it, youll see. Rule #1 its not weight, its form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    I trained BJJ for 8 years, and of those 8 taught for 4 of them. I would typically spend about 3-4 hours a day on the mats so my cardio was pretty decent. I changed jobs and more or less quit training for about 2 years. During this time I did my best not to get too badly out of shape. Being without the gym and rolling partners to help with workouts I discovered browsing youtube, Randy Couture Cardio weights. It's an excellent little tool. At first even having just stopped training it was impossible for me to complete 3 of circuits of 1 min rounds/no rest at 40lbs. So I kept with this for about 3 years now and have gotten to where I can make do 2 miles on the treadmill in 16 minutes and then do 3 circuits at 40lbs . I returned to the mats to find my cardio was great, even if my technique was rusty as hell! I also tried the Sparticus workout and it's pretty good tool too! Just gotta put what you have into each one, and good thing is you can tailor these workouts to exactly your level by adjusting round length and resistance. In BJJ at lot of times it's best to have good endurance and decent technique so you can "weather the storm" of a stronger faster opponent, and then take advantage of them once they've expended their energy unsuccessfully trying to submit you. The link included is to the Couture weight training video. Randy Couture Training - YouTube GOOD LUCK WELCOME TO THE MATS!

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    . Swim yo ass off. As for your day of lifting. 5sets of ascending Pyramids. Per muscle group. Only move 80% of your max on work sets. Snap the weight up, hold for 2-4secs. Descend slow. 4-6secs. 30sec rest or a minute. 30secs will......just try it, youll see. Rule #1 its not weight, its form.

I agree with the swimming. If you're a beginner, first try to swim as many laps as you can without stopping. The longer distances you swim, albeit slow, the better your technique and swimming stamina will get. As you improve, then go for bursts of one to two lap sprints with 20-30 seconds rest after you do a slow distance warm-up swim, then finish with a slow warm-down mid-distance swim. Include kicking sprint drills with a kickboard, and if you really get into it, include different strokes. The hardest is the butterfly, it will wear you out super quick.

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    There is one other secret to BJJ endurance, unfortunately you cannot get it outside of class. Technique. The more experienced guys do seem have better endurance, BUT they are also using WAY less effort when they spar because they rely majorly on technique. Of course attaining that means more time getting squashed on the mats, but just remember your there to learn BJJ techniques and not how to over power.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I read up on BJJ. Correct me if im wrong. But it would seem to suggest strong inner thighs and forearms. Finer muscles. Reverse barbell, series of leg machines. Or cables and cuffs. High reps for endurance.

Top Bottom