• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    I saw a news update this morning and one of the riders was being interviewed and di not want his face shown. He was whining that, "this guy almost killed me." Really? Maybe if you dont do stupid stuff to make someone feel threatened then you wont have bad things happen to you. The riders are in no way the victims here. They did something really stupid, and in the process made the driver of the RR feel threatened. So, he did what any normal person with no means of protecting themself would do and got the heck outta there.
    Target Sports

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If they were truly outlaw bikers everyone in the RR would be dead. I think most of the bikers were weekend posers.
    Definitely not 1%ers, but still dangerous. They were one of those "stunt'n" groups that like to illegally block traffic for their events and tend to create a lot of vandalism and criminal mischief.

My guess is that it's based on the "that bullet has to land somewhere" principle and justification for taking the shot.
    A bullet falling on gravity alone will smart something fierce if it hits you in the head, but it's highly unlikely to be lethal unless you've got a glass skull or something.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Guess next time he decides to do something stupid he will have to do it on a hoveround. Bet he doesn't try to use it to block traffic.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Some better stories about this.
    Biker surrenders to New York cops after another arrested for accident that caused attack on SUV driver - NY Daily News

Updates:

Guy mentioned above......
    Mieses, who lives in Lawrence, Mass., can be seen on the video getting off his green bike to check on Cruz, his aunt said. He was standing near the SUV when Lien suddenly took off and ran over him, she said.

Police said Mieses suffered two broken legs, but family members said his injuries were far more severe and include a torn aorta, broken ribs and spinal damage that will probably leave him paralyzed.

POS who started the entire thing.
    Cruz, who was also injured, was charged with reckless endangerment, reckless driving, and endangering the welfare of a child for his actions on the road,
    Cruz was expected to be arraigned on a slew of charges that include menacing, reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child.

Others involved.

A third biker involved in the incident, who was sought by the NYPD after being caught on camera punching the window of the Range Rover, turned himself in on Tuesday,

Later in the day, Allen Edwards of Jamaica, Queens turned himself in. Edwards is the man who pounded the SUV with his hands as another biker smashes the SUV’s driver side window with his helmet.
    However, the Manhattan district attorney’s office says it decided not to prosecute Edwards.

SUV driver:
    While two bikers involved in the incident have been charged, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly hasn’t ruled out pressing charges on Lien as well.
    “You have to look at the totality of the circumstances, and that’s what we’re doing,” Kelly said.
    The incident is currently under investigation by the NYPD.
    alexian-lien.jpg

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Unless a bullet is fired pretty much straight up it will not be coming down by gravity alone.
    Definitely not 1%ers, but still dangerous. They were one of those "stunt'n" groups that like to illegally block traffic for their events and tend to create a lot of vandalism and criminal mischief.

A bullet falling on gravity alone will smart something fierce if it hits you in the head, but it's highly unlikely to be lethal unless you've got a glass skull or something.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The state of Massachusetts revoked his driving privileges back around 2001 for over 16 moving violations without a license. Obviously he's a slow learner.

He never had a license. And it was his right to drive that was suspended, he was never granted the privilege.

In June, the Registry notified the National Driver Register that Mieses was a habitual traffic offender whose right to drive in Massachusetts was revoked until 2017, records show.

Lawrence man seriously injured in NYC incident involving SUV and motorcyclists - Metro - The Boston Globe

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Unless a bullet is fired pretty much straight up it will not be coming down by gravity alone.

Unless it's fired directly into the ground, gravity is the only thing bringing it down!! (unless it hits something.)

Bet you have heard something like this in your past, I think Fig Newton said: 'An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force'

Remember the physics lesson where you learn that a bullet fired directly horizontal to the surface will impact the ground at the same instant as a bullet dropped from the same height at the same time???

A bullets path is not a perfect arc. Wind resistance overcomes the momentum and gravity is constantly pulling it down. Remember how the difference in hold over you need when going from 900 to 1,000 yards is different than the hold over you need when going from 50 yards to 150 yards??? While a bullet fired straight up may come down slower than one fired at a less severe angle, they are both losing velocity from the moment they exit the barrel.

Pretty simple stuff here TXI.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Unless it's fired directly into the ground, gravity is the only thing bringing it down!! (unless it hits something.)

Bet you have heard something like this in your past, I think Fig Newton said: 'An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force'

Remember the physics lesson where you learn that a bullet fired directly horizontal to the surface will impact the ground at the same instant as a bullet dropped from the same height at the same time???

A bullets path is not a perfect arc. Wind resistance overcomes the momentum and gravity is constantly pulling it down. Remember how the difference in hold over you need when going from 900 to 1,000 yards is different than the hold over you need when going from 50 yards to 150 yards??? While a bullet fired straight up may come down slower than one fired at a less severe angle, they are both losing velocity from the moment they exit the barrel.

Pretty simple stuff here TXI.

Jesus, so if I shoot your horizontally only gravity will be propelling the bullet? Of course not. A bullet fired straight up will eventually lose mizzle velocity and fall back to earth. There is an angle between horizontal and vertical where the bullet strikes the earth with muzzle energy.

As an expert, what would that angle be? And don't talk down to me.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    A bullet fired 90deg vertical wilk return to earth at terminal velocity, nowhere near fast enough to hurt.
    The further from vertical towards horizontal the more dangerous it becomes.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Jesus, so if I shoot your horizontally only gravity will be propelling the bullet? Of course not. A bullet fired straight up will eventually lose mizzle velocity and fall back to earth. There is an angle between horizontal and vertical where the bullet strikes the earth with muzzle energy.

As an expert, what would that angle be? And don't talk down to me.

Go back and read what you said.

Tell me what brings it down then??? Gravity is what brings them all down. It wants to stay in a straight line, but gravity pulls it down.

Jesus, so if I shoot your horizontally only gravity will be propelling the bullet?
    What!? Where did you get that?????

Re-read your post, re-read mine. This is basic high school stuff here. Newtons first law is pretty simple for some of us to comprehend.

If there were no gravity the bullet would travel in a straight line forever (not counting for minor things like spin drift). So if you did not fire it at the ground, but at any angle greater than what would cause the bullet to impact the ground (or another object), it would never come down. Wind resistance would slow it down and might even stop it, but it would stay on that course until it was acted on by a unknown third force.

A bullet that is fired at a parallel angle to the ground, 0 degrees up or down, will impact the earth due to gravity, not muzzle velocity or speed. Other factors come into play and it might still have muzzle velocity as gravity will overcome it's relatively slow speed and pull it to earth while retaining some of it's speed. That however is dependent on the elevation above the ground. If the rifle barrel is only 1 inch above and perfectly parallel to the ground a high powered rifle projectile will have significantly more of it's original horizontal velocity intact when it impacts the earth than if the rifle was fired, perfectly horizontal to the earth, from atop Mt. Everest. In the latter case, I would bet that most of the horizontal velocity would have dissipated due to wind resistance and it would be pretty much falling straight down.

Unlike old crusty CHL instructors, gravity never has senior moments.:roflsmile:

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    A bullet will constantly lose speed and energy after leaving the muzzle due to wind resistance. I wouldn't want to be hit by a bullet fired horizontally from a gun a few feet above me and a few hundred feet away. I would stand under a bullet dropped on me from the same distance above me. The bullet has a vertical and a horizontal component to it's velocity. Both bullets will have the same vertical velocity, but the horizontal velocity will be different.

A bullet fired straight up in the air will be overcame by gravity and will have no velocity and no wind resistance. That bullet will begin falling and will accelerate until the wind resistance is equal to the gravity acting on the bullet. This is terminal velocity. That velocity can and does still kill people from stray gun fire by idiots.

Top Bottom