• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    This is terminal velocity. That velocity can and does still kill people from stray gun fire by idiots.

No, not terminal velocity. It has been shown that the energy is not enough to do that. Seen referred to as about the same amount of energy that a brick has dropped from 4 feet. Generally that is retained muzzle velocity, as the gun was not fired straight up, but at an angle where it never slows all the way down to terminal velocity.

The falling bullet: myths, legends and terminal velocity | Forensic Outreach

So What Happens to All Those Bullets Fired in the Air? Can They Kill You? | TheBlaze.com

Celebratory gunfire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The greater the angle away from vertical, the greater chance of it retaining increasing energy levels to cause damage.
    Lynx Defense

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    No, not terminal velocity. It has been shown that the energy is not enough to do that. Seen referred to as about the same amount of energy that a brick has dropped from 4 feet. Generally that is retained muzzle velocity, as the gun was not fired straight up, but at an angle where it never slows all the way down to terminal velocity.

The falling bullet: myths, legends and terminal velocity | Forensic Outreach

So What Happens to All Those Bullets Fired in the Air? Can They Kill You? | TheBlaze.com

Celebratory gunfire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The greater the angle away from vertical, the greater chance of it retaining increasing energy levels to cause damage.

It all depends if it starts tumbling...

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Even if it fell true, a 115 grain 9mm will only reach about 235 ft/sec dropped from orbit.
    \

If it is dropped from orbit it is doing about 22,000 fps.

Know hat you meant though, I thought it was much lower, around 150 fps.

Last edited:

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    If it is dropped from orbit it is doing about 22,000 fps.

Know hat you meant though, I thought it was much lower, around 150 fps.
    I should have said, from infinite height dropped through earth atmosphere.

I used a cross sectional area of .09 sq in
    Not super accurate but close enough.

http://www.calctool.org/CALC/eng/aerospace/terminal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Oh good Lord, people. Nobody fires a "warning shot" directly up at a perfect 90 degree angle. Any angle less than 90 degrees increases the chances that not only will the bullet travel further than the shooter realizes, but that it will retain enough muzzle velocity to injure or kill. Firing at someone's feet risks a dangerous and unpredictable ricochet. Warning shots - missing your target intentionally - are generally a bad idea for these reasons. These are also the most likely reasons that they are considered reckless discharges.

Can we can the shadetree physics lessons now?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Hold on, we need to consider the ballistic coefficient of different bullet designs and weights.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I think someone has already wasted their time doing that..lol Just google it...

I read somewhere that a 22 has like 8 oz of energy on the way back down...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was reading one article where they actually fired 9mm straight in to the air. Because the rotation never really slows much the bullets fell back base first.

I forget how much energy they had at impact. Just thought it was cool they didn't flip.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol, one of the guys at work freaks out every time he sees a group of more the 2 or 3 riders.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    i have had people ask if i was in a biker gang, yeah the cma

On the way in we passed a single biker.

He divided the guy must be dangerouse because:

1. He was wearing a black shirt.

2. His bike was spray painted flat black. This apparently made him a "rebel" according to my employee.

3. He passed some people then took an exit. I was then told he was going to get back on the interstate ahead of everybody, however he just went up a little ways and made a left hand turn.

4. No helmet. Instead he had his hat turned backwards.

He also claimed a chain was hanging on the side for smashing cars with but it must have been invisible. He told me how looking at the guy wrong would get us attacked and couldn't comprehend how attacking us would get him in a fight with a 1 ton dodge with steel work bed and another 5,000 lbs of trailer.

I tried to make him understand by asking him what would happen if he walked out In to a pasture and slapped a bull in the face with a bicycle chain but he never got it. Apparently bikers are the most dangerous people on earth.

Top Bottom