• ...and so much more!
  • Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    My previous doctor and I used to have political conversations. He wasn't an avid shooter, but did believe in the right to keep and bear arms and believed that most of the problem stems from the coasts trying to dictate, through law, culture to people in Middle America when they have no idea of the conditions here.

My current doctor knows about guns, and has ore than once seen the empty holster on my belt. The doctor's office is not (and cannot be, under Indiana law) a "gun free zone", but I would rather take the 1911 off and lock it in the car rather than potentially have to leave it unsecured should I have to undress. (This is the only time I voluntarily disarm, and only because I believe that it's less dangerous to do so.)

My eye doctor knows my interest in guns because I described to him exactly what I need my glasses prescription to do. He's not a shooter but finds it fascinating that many of us can shoot with both eyes open while using the sights, and is very good at providing me an excellent focal point for the front sight of a 91/30 Mosin-Nagant.

I guess I've heard of these doctors, but haven't personally experienced any which are actively anti-gun.

Regards,

Josh

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Jack Kevorkian and his perspective is often derided.

If I'm discovered to have a fatal disease that will be long and painful before my demise, why shouldn't I be allowed to pull the plug?

Certainly, if one is temporarily depressed or experiences other impermanent situations suicide isn't the answer, but if one is terminal and faces degrading pain and other dreadful manifestations before dying, why not a painless, but premature exit?

Yes, I appreciate some theologians and doctors give short shrift to such situations. Hey, just suffer and die and quit whining.

OK, but when it's your turn in the barrel and you're told you've got Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis or cancer that can't be treated, just suffer and quit complaining, checking out sooner rather than later makes sense to me.

I concur. I've visited many hospitals, walked the path at the Vatican, been to Mayo Clinic and have seen all types and stages of suffering. There's no way that I will go through a terminal condition wasting away in some bed somewhere while my family is dragged through a healthcare money ride. Nope. I might go hunting and not make it back but at least I went out on my time and not someone else.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    If the suicide is over a medical issue or a chronic thing, I can see that. Those that for whatever reason decide they have had enough, you will not stop. Cars, guns, knives or drugs, really doesn't matter. But I will agree that a GP with a long term relationship with a patient does stand a good chance to know and read the patient better. As well as have a better overall and long term understanding of them.

from an idgit coffeeholic

I am familiar with the mindset of potentially suicidal patients. Counseled many after an overdose... not so many after a self inflicted gunshot. It's rampant among young people who I am pretty sure most of these suicides don't suffer from debilitating chronic disease. I am not talking about the exceptions that can't be helped. Most people can be swayed to continue to live. It's worth it to try interventions to save lives.

illness is gauged to be a factor in only one of ten suicides, so this is in no way the majority.

Last edited:

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Monday, I go in for a prostate cancer mri.

If I get a 'you're not a biopsy' candidate, but simply have an infection or prostatitis, ok.

If however, I'm told, we're going to do a biopsy and then perhaps a complete removal...nope.

I'd rather die than go out wearing diapers...like a number of friends.

Homey don't do diapers...

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    If I get a 'you're not a biopsy' candidate, but simply have an infection or prostatitis, ok.
    If however, I'm told, we're going to do a biopsy and then perhaps a complete removal...nope.
    If positive, get a 2nd opinion - not just from a knife-happy urologist but from a radiation guy. I went temporary implants fairly successfully.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Yup.

I’d feel pretty foolish if I was at the pearly gates, and died of nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

As an older Physician and "Medical Educator"; Please don't allow your ignorance to cost you your life.

Any treatment decision should begin with a detailed investigation, followed by getting you much better-informed, your understanding the choices available; only then should you make a decision.

One extremely important factor is your AGE, which you didn't mention.

If you are in Texas, and do have prostate cancer, I recommend "Vanguard Prostate Center", which is in the same University of Texas Medical School @ Texas Medical Center as "M D Anderson", but is not part of Anderson.

Vanguard has the most experience, most alternative treatments, easiest patient experiences, and best educational capabilities.

See: http://mhmg.memorialhermann.org/locations/vanguard-urologic-institute---texas-medical-center/

Please get yourself better informed without delay.

leVieux

Top Bottom