• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    After looking at their website, no mention of online sales via their site, and they appear to be fairly new. I only deduced that from the fact that they only have 2 Testimonials running, so take that for what it's worth.

Nothing against a start up business, just posting what I saw.

Fortitude88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Flower Mound, TX
    Not to belabor this thread, but the general consensus to the original question: 'Does the dealer's wait time of 4-5 months for this firearm seem abnormal/unusual', most responses seem to favor the idea that the duration is a bit long. Would that conclusion seem about accurate?

If yes, I'll wait an additional 10 days from the date of my pre-order (April 30th) before I approach the dealer with the refund option.

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    So that kind of time if they are out of stock would be considered normal for current events. However, I believe the common consensus was that many other vendors have it in stock so unless you're really wanting to do business with this vendor, you could get the gun without the wait.

Fortitude88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Flower Mound, TX
    So that kind of time if they are out of stock would be considered normal for current events. However, I believe the common consensus was that many other vendors have it in stock so unless you're really wanting to do business with this vendor, you could get the gun without the wait.

Thanks. I'll make some additional phone calls in my area tomorrow; but like I said, the first eight on Kimber's authorized dealer list (or whatever it's called -- on their website) for my zip code didn't have any in their inventory. There's about 15 others in a 30 mile radius that I can call tomorrow and see what I can find out.

But uh -- I have to admit I haven't followed gun legislation as closely as maybe some of you have, seeing as how I'm new to guns. What is it about current events that would make the dealer's 4-5 months wait period normal? Doesn't a lot of the political gun talk have to do with background checks and high capacity magazines?

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    The "current situation" has more to do with the panic buying and hoarding that's been going on since about mid-December last year. Inventories nation-wide went from "buy as much as you can afford/want" to "sorry, but all we've got are empty boxes" or "sorry, but we won't have it in stock for who knows how long" in such a short time that no one had time to prepare or react.

We're starting to recover, but it's a slow, painful process.

Fortitude88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Flower Mound, TX
    Why are people panic buying and hoarding, I guess is the question I should have asked. I can understand wanting to do so out of fear that possible laws involving x,y, and z are likely to influence certain weapons or bullets -- but to be out of stock of so many different kinds of bullets and weapons I don't really understand. Sorry that I'm fuzzy on this topic.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Heh, no apology needed. Frankly a lot of us don't understand it either. In regards to just buying anything and everything, some people did it to flip what they bought when supplies ran low (they're the guys selling a $20 box of ammo for $100 on Gunbroker, Armslist, etc etc), and others did it so they had their own stockpiles (I'm guilty of that, bought a case of .22LR, have another on the way). A lot of people just bought certain things because they thought those items would become illegal or tightly controlled.

Fortitude88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Flower Mound, TX
    Hrm. Well, good to know. I was told by the dealer, and a few people commenting here, that ball ammo is best for 'breaking in' the type of gun that I pre-ordered -- a Kimber Ultra CDP II. I found this (Federal Premium® Personal Defense® Pistol Cartidges | Bass Pro Shops) on Bass Pro Shops website. The .45 ACP stuff is selling for close to $30 for 20 rounds.. Seems a bit steep.

Is this the right kind of ammunition you'd recommend I start with for my gun, and if so, is there another vendor that might sell it cheeper?

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    It's cool Fortitude,

Let me try to answer your question to the best of my ability. Mind you most of this is opinion based off of events over the last say, 6 months.

1) Lawmakers started pushing to ban hi-capacity magazines, so-called assault rifles (that's a whole different thread), and even semi automatic firearms like the one you're purchasing.
    2) Crazy loons like Diane Feinstein, Joe Biden, and a few others have very clearly stated that the current legislation being pushed on gun control is merely a start, with a total gun confiscation being the ultimate goal.
    Links here: Diane Feinstein on Gun ban in 1995 -Mr. and Mrs. America, turn your guns in! - YouTube
    Rep. Jan Schakowsky: Assault Weapons ban 'Just the Beginning' - YouTube

3) The DHS places an order for Billions (Yes, with a B) of hollow point rounds, under the guise of saving money on a mass purchase. Mind you, at their current pace, this order would last them somewhere around 100 years. See link, the 3rd paragraph is of particular interest. DHS Explains Huge AMMO Needs….. “Congressional inquiry into the Department of Homeland Security’s huge ammunition acquisitions spurred agency officials to try to explain what is going on. At current inventory levels, DHS has four to five times

4) Gun owners, and even non gun owners saw all of this happening and got scared that their beloved freedom might be taken away in the near future and started buying up everything in stock.

5) This continued while other people wait in line at 6 am for the sporting goods store to open, so that they can go and buy up every bit of ammo on the shelves (or at least their daily limit) to resell online for double, triple and more what they paid just an hour ago.

6) Honestly, as some people have mentioned, I believe that if the resellers would stop, or people would stop buying from the resellers, ammo would be available on shelves like before.

I realize this is long, but I'm trying to cover everything I can remember off the top of my head for ya. One positive thing I've seen recently is a surplus of guns on shelves here in San Antonio. I've seen dozens of AR's and even more of other guns. Some of the more popular handguns are still a little harder to come by, but this is a vast improvement from just a month ago. Ammo seems to coming around that way as well. Slowly but surely we'll get back to some semblance of normalcy.

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    Hrm. Well, good to know. I was told by the dealer, and a few people commenting here, that ball ammo is best for 'breaking in' the type of gun that I pre-ordered -- a Kimber Ultra CDP II. I found this (Federal Premium® Personal Defense® Pistol Cartidges | Bass Pro Shops) on Bass Pro Shops website. The .45 ACP stuff is selling for close to $30 for 20 rounds.. Seems a bit steep.

Is this the right kind of ammunition you'd recommend I start with for my gun, and if so, is there another vendor that might sell it cheeper?

that is not ball ammo. Look for Winchester White Box .45 ACP, or Federal Premium. I'll post a picture of ball ammo below:

th?id=H.4663523738780652&pid=1.jpg

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    For self-defense (the primary use for hollow-point or soft-point ammo), there are better options out there, though they're just as expensive if not more-so.

For breaking in the gun, just buy a bunch of cheap FMJ loads (what the dealer meant by "ball ammo") and hit the range.

In regards to price, Bass Pro is always a little on the high side - normally a few bucks per box above everyone else. Shop around a bit, ask around, see if anyone you know can give you a lead. Personally, I lurk MidwayUSA and Brownell's daily, and have alerts set up for what I'm looking for.

Fortitude88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Flower Mound, TX
    It's cool Fortitude,

Let me try to answer your question to the best of my ability. Mind you most of this is opinion based off of events over the last say, 6 months.

1) Lawmakers started pushing to ban hi-capacity magazines, so-called assault rifles (that's a whole different thread), and even semi automatic firearms like the one you're purchasing.
    2) Crazy loons like Diane Feinstein, Joe Biden, and a few others have very clearly stated that the current legislation being pushed on gun control is merely a start, with a total gun confiscation being the ultimate goal.
    Links here: Diane Feinstein on Gun ban in 1995 -Mr. and Mrs. America, turn your guns in! - YouTube
    Rep. Jan Schakowsky: Assault Weapons ban 'Just the Beginning' - YouTube

3) The DHS places an order for Billions (Yes, with a B) of hollow point rounds, under the guise of saving money on a mass purchase. Mind you, at their current pace, this order would last them somewhere around 100 years. See link, the 3rd paragraph is of particular interest. DHS Explains Huge AMMO Needs….. “Congressional inquiry into the Department of Homeland Security’s huge ammunition acquisitions spurred agency officials to try to explain what is going on. At current inventory levels, DHS has four to five times

4) Gun owners, and even non gun owners saw all of this happening and got scared that their beloved freedom might be taken away in the near future and started buying up everything in stock.

5) This continued while other people wait in line at 6 am for the sporting goods store to open, so that they can go and buy up every bit of ammo on the shelves (or at least their daily limit) to resell online for double, triple and more what they paid just an hour ago.

6) Honestly, as some people have mentioned, I believe that if the resellers would stop, or people would stop buying from the resellers, ammo would be available on shelves like before.

I realize this is long, but I'm trying to cover everything I can remember off the top of my head for ya. One positive thing I've seen recently is a surplus of guns on shelves here in San Antonio. I've seen dozens of AR's and even more of other guns. Some of the more popular handguns are still a little harder to come by, but this is a vast improvement from just a month ago. Ammo seems to coming around that way as well. Slowly but surely we'll get back to some semblance of normalcy.

Excellent information. Thank you!

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Winchester White Box (WWB) is my go-to range ammo along with Remington UMC, so yeah, they'll be great.

And yes, it's possible to set up alerts (email notifications) through Midway and Brownell's. If you order from Brownell's, use the link near the top of the TGT webpage, 'cause they're a sponsor of us.

Top Bottom