• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fortitude88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Flower Mound, TX
    My first experience buying a gun. You tell me what's what...

April 30 - I phoned a dealer here in N. TX with an interest in purchasing a Kimber Ultra CDP II .45. The dealer's response was that the model was not readily in-stock, but that they were available for pre-order.

I said no problem, put $200 down, and agreed to a 90-day payment plan. Here's the information I'm curious about:

The dealer said he ordered 5 of this model in December of 2012, with only one other pre-order prior to mine. It's been 4, possibly 5 months (depending on when in December he placed his order), and these models haven't arrived.

Is this suspicious? Common? Slightly unusual, but not unheard of? I have no idea. Never owned a gun before. He said Kimber was experiencing issues with their manufacturing; something about the metal. He may have been told this information by a Kimber rep or heard it somehwere - I'm not really sure. I'm just looking to confirm the information: 1) The timeframe of the order, and 2) Any information anyone has heard regarding manufacturing issues or other reasons that would cause delay.

Thanks in advance.

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Given what many may consider the worst timing of all time it isn't inconceivable that your dealer isn't on the priority list for suppliers and a back order could be several months. It's also sufficiently extended period of time and the dealer should understand you wishing to go another route. I'm with the previous post. Go get your money back and shop for something in stock. Or locate what you want first, get your money and go to your purchase. If it pleases you have a talk with the guy explaining why and ask if there is any confirmed delivery he expects in the immediate future and give him the opportunity to complete the sale.

Edit: sorry just re-read. Your order is recent. The idea is still there. A back order that long right now isn't out of the question. There are other alternatives but I would expect that if at the end of a 90-day plan and there is no sign of arrival, I'd ask more questions and possible ask for money back.

Last edited:

Fortitude88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Flower Mound, TX
    Thanks for the info guys. I only placed this order a few days ago, April 30. Perhaps I should give it some time before I ask for my money back, maybe May 15 or so. In addition to the placement of his December order, that's quite a lot of time.

If I do need to ask for my money back, I'm curious if the dealer could argue a 'No Refund' (et. al.) policy with any success? Any thoughts?

inceptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Denton County, Republic of Texas
    If the dealer is who I think it is, I have heard nothing bad about them. That being said, Cabela's has a nice stock of guns at any given time. They are also reasonably priced. They had plenty of Kimbers a few weeks ago. I was torn between buying an Kimber and an STI. I went with the STI and took it home.

inceptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Denton County, Republic of Texas
    This is a small gun shop in Carrollton about 1 mile off I-35.

I figured that was who it was. They mostly do internet sales and don't really have that much stock. You can't really call the a Local Gun Store (LGS) because of the emphasis on internet sales. They also focus on payment plans. I know of no other LGS that does either.

I like Cabela's because they have been keeping their prices reasonable and have a decent selection. I have bought several there recently and like the customer service they provide also.

ETA: I am in Flower Mound also.

Fortitude88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Flower Mound, TX
    That's cool you're also in Flower Mound. I'm over by MHS.

Yeah, the gun payment plan was his idea. I have the cash now to purchase it, but I was cautious enough putting down $200 - and even that was the maximum he'd accept for a pre-order. But the MSRP was like.. $1349 or something. He was selling the gun new for $1200 -- what he was calling a 'cash discount'. And offered to perform a free 'crowning' on the gun as a thank you. Seemed, and still seems, like a nice guy - I just want my gun.

I'm fine waiting another 10 days for the order to come in, but for an order placed in December I think an arrival time of mid-May is enough wait time. I just wonder if there's a store policy I may have overlooked that prevents me from receiving the cash back in the event May 15 arrives and the gun still hasn't.

swcc22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    fannin county
    They also focus on payment plans. I know of no other LGS that does either.

ETA: I am in Flower Mound also.
    bullet trap in plano and cabelas both have layaway. Cabelas does it for guns and safes and bullet trap does it for guns.
    So if being able to pay it out is the reason for sticking with them u have options

The only easy day was yesterday.

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    Do yourself a favor.

Go to Kimber America | Fine 1911 Pistols and Rifles and search your area for a master dealer. They will have a significatnly larger stock than anyone else. My local Master Kimber Dealer currently has 100+ Kimbers still in stock. I'd be willing to bet you could find your gun and take it home today. I've seen quite a few Ultra CDP's around in stock here in San Antonio.

Fortitude88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Flower Mound, TX
    Do yourself a favor.

Go to Kimber America | Fine 1911 Pistols and Rifles and search your area for a master dealer. They will have a significatnly larger stock than anyone else. My local Master Kimber Dealer currently has 100+ Kimbers still in stock. I'd be willing to bet you could find your gun and take it home today. I've seen quite a few Ultra CDP's around in stock here in San Antonio.

Thanks, I actually did that when I was shopping for the gun. I'm not quite sure what a master dealer is, but the dealer I purchased from is third on the list of dealer's on Kimber's website for my zip code (Kimber America | Find a Dealer). The first two didn't answer the phone, and the next 5 didn't have it in stock, so for a total of 8 in a row, I stopped calling.

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Thanks, I actually did that when I was shopping for the gun. I'm not quite sure what a master dealer is, but the dealer I purchased from is third on the list of dealer's on Kimber's website for my zip code (Kimber America | Find a Dealer). The first two didn't answer the phone, and the next 5 didn't have it in stock, so for a total of 8 in a row, I stopped calling.

Sounds like you've done your due diligence. Good luck. I hope you get to enjoy it soon

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio

Mine showed multiple dealers but when I called around this one mentioned they were a master dealer. I know back in November they had 300+ kimbers and are down to the 100+ they have now. They said this is the lowest their stock had fallen.

Point is, lots of places have em in stock, and the free crowning isn't really all that valuable since its a new gun, and even if you wanted it done you could expect to pay around $40.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    If they haven't been able to provide you with a product, and they already had the guns on order anyways, then there shouldn't be a problem getting a refund. Just go back and walk around the store to see if any signs say otherwise. Also, your receipt for the deposite may say something. You can also always call them and ask.

Sent while trying to concentrate on 6 things at once.

Top Bottom