• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guy Fawkes

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 1, 2018
    Converse
    2018-texas-primary-election-results-u-s-senate-significant-republican-lead-31462003[1].png
    Anybody know why the blue counties on our border? Is that because of more Mexican immigrants in those counties? What is going on in that area?
    ARJ Defense ad

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I am serious. I am not from Texas but I got here as soon as I could. Remember the Alamo, Remember Goliad!!!!!!

Your source’s claim, for one, is laughable.

As a native Texan, there’s a whole lot more to our history, culture, and politics than a simple Red/Blue color choice.

To learn more about this particular subject, a good place to start is LBJ, prior to him becoming President.

There used to be a great exhibit, complete with oral history, in the LBJ library on this topic.

pinoyinus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Round Rock
    I think the simple answer is: Democrat = welfare

If you look at that map, you'll see that the blue areas are the inner cities and the border towns. These two areas are where you see high usage of govt. welfare programs. They know which party lubricates the gravy train.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    If you look at that map, you'll see that the blue areas are the inner cities and the border towns. These two areas are where you see high usage of govt. welfare programs. They know which party lubricates the gravy train.
    Wow! What an overgeneralization! For example, Travis County has a low level of poverty and a high level of well to do professionals, and has been hard blue for as long as I can remember. You would, however, be generally correct as to the border counties.

Here is a chart of the 25 largest cities in the US and their poverty rates:
    https://www.statista.com/statistics...n-the-top-20-most-populated-cities-in-the-us/

San Francisco has one of the lowest poverty rates of the group yet it votes hard blue. Most all of the cities on this list, from highest to lowest poverty rates, votes hard blue. Don't blame it just on the poor people!

Last edited:

JeepFiend

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Bryan, TX
    ...San Francisco has one of the lowest poverty rates of the group yet it votes hard blue. Most all of the cities on this list, from highest to lowest poverty rates, votes hard blue. Don't blame it just on the poor people!

Wow, that really surprises me...I mean, unless you consider the outlying areas that aren't actually San Francisco, as in the Bay Area in general. The City of San Francisco is rife with homelessness and poverty. And it's not even hidden. It's out for any visitor to see. Granted, I've never lived there...visited several time. And every time I go, I swear it's gonna be my last... The only thing I can think is that minimum wage is so high that they're considering it on a national poverty scale, and not a homelessness, home ownership aspect. I mean, you make $12/hr to burn french fries and that puts you ahead of a lot of folks in the rest of the country, but it's the same as making $7 when you look at it in perspective. Hell, I took a 25% pay cut to move to Texas, and respectively it was still a 15% increase.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Wow! What an overgeneralization! For example, Travis County has a low level of poverty and a high level of well to do professionals, and has been hard blue for as long as I can remember. You would, however, be generally correct as to the border counties.

Here is a chart of the 25 largest cities in the US and their poverty rates:
    https://www.statista.com/statistics...n-the-top-20-most-populated-cities-in-the-us/

San Francisco has one of the lowest poverty rates of the group yet it votes hard blue. Most all of the cities on this list, from highest to lowest poverty rates, votes hard blue. Don't blame it just on the poor people!

Austin and San Fran? Are they counting all the homeless? If so how are they counting them. I think it only counts those who have residences.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Are they counting all the homeless? If so how are they counting them. I think it only counts those who have residences.
    That is a good point that I didn't consider. But since you brought it up, I'm gonna guess it is census driven; although, not sure how it counts those who don't respond. Probably by some form of extrapolation? And I doubt it counts the homeless street people at all, but I am gonna guess they mostly don't vote anyway.

I know SF has a huge homeless problem on the streets, and they are very visible, but I suspect the total of them is miniscule compared to SF's very dense population.

Found this: https://sf.curbed.com/2017/6/16/15818104/homeless-sf-count-2017

While 7500 is a big number, it is very small compared to the total population of the city, which is 885 thousand:
    https://www.google.com/search?sourc......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0j0i131.5ZmZ-Oeobfs

Last edited:

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    There are mostly Mexicans in those counties and they want open borders for their families to flock here. So they take the bait.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Border counties have large Hispanic (Mexican) populations. The immigration (illegal) is huge to them. Often makes them one issue voters.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Ok, since we are wondering about blue counties, How did Tarrant Co. (Largest traditional red county in TX) go for Beto and ousted State Senator Konni Burton? Yet Harris Co. Went with Cruz?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Are border counties part of the 'reconquesta' approach to slowly overwhelm with a Hispanic population?

I think so.

Given a few more years and that group will want to separate from the rest of Texas, ah until the rest of Texas is also overwhelmed.

Am I a racist for saying this?

Nope, just making an observation.

SantiSM

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Spring
    Ok, since we are wondering about blue counties, How did Tarrant Co. (Largest traditional red county in TX) go for Beto and ousted State Senator Konni Burton? Yet Harris Co. Went with Cruz?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Beto beat Cruz by 200k votes in Harris Co.

Top Bottom