• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Looks like a generic blue screen message. When windows can't figure out what causes a critical memory stoppage, it has been known to come up with unusual fault codes. I doubt it's viral... more likely a component issue or something heating up and causing shutdown.

Any new installations?

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    That is also known as BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Not a good thing, sometimes you can recover out of it, most times you will need to reload the OS. There are ways to attempt to recover from it, one is to boot off your Windows disk and run recovery mode. Just to investigate how bad it is: Turn off your computer, turn it back on, when it starts to boot from the black screen press the F8 Key, this should bring you to a screen that gives you options to go into a Safe Mode. (if it trys to load windows, you waited to long, reboot and try again. Easy way is to press and release F8 until it gets to the window)
    When you get to that window select "boot using the Last Known Good Configuration". If that doesn't work, repeat and try "Safe Mode" hopefully that works, and I would start copying of your data to CD. If that doesn't work, try command prompt and try to copy stuff from the command prompt.
    Ultimately if is totally f#cked and nothing else seems to work to get your data off. You can download Knoppix or another Linux boot CD, boot in Linux and run the OS from the CD and search the hard drives for your data and move it to CD or Flash/Thumb USB drive.
    Once your data is copied, use your Windows or System recovery Cd's to reload windows.

That is why it called the Blue Screen of Death.... it's not good.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    Looks like a generic blue screen message. When windows can't figure out what causes a critical memory stoppage, it has been known to come up with unusual fault codes. I doubt it's viral... more likely a component issue or something heating up and causing shutdown.

Any new installations?

It's not a component issue. It's corruption of the OS (operating system = Windows) Kernel.

Bexar county TX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    San Antonio

Any new installations?
    This all started when we changed from DSL to cable. I don't know if they installed any new hardware that the the router.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    this is more of a software issue correct?

Yes, Basically your windows is corrupted. Follow the steps I mentioned above and start looking for your Windows or Systems recovery CD's that came with your system.
    The don't call it Blue Screen Of Death for nothing.

BTW I'm a Systems network Administrator, been in computers for the past 24 years. I've seen it PLENTY of times. Sometimes, IF your lucky, you can recover from it selecting: "Last Known Good Configuration".
    Even if this works, you need to further investigate what caused it to crash:

-What happened before it crashed?
    -Were you installing any programs?
    -Has it been functioning weird, slow etc before the crash?

Bexar county TX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    Yes, Basically your windows is corrupted. Follow the steps I mentioned above and start looking for your Windows or Systems recovery CD's that came with your system.
    The don't call it Blue Screen Of Death for nothing.

BTW I'm a Systems network Administrator, been in computers for the past 24 years. I've seen it PLENTY of times. Sometimes, IF your lucky, you can recover from it selecting: "Last Known Good Configuration".
    Even if this works, you need to further investigate what caused it to crash:

-What happened before it crashed?
    -Were you installing any programs?
    -Has it been functioning weird, slow etc before the crash?
    I appreciate the help I did the steps you mentioned above whrn I install the OS disc and a sceen pops upand says windows needs to be repaired I go through all the steps and it still crashes.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It can also be a hardware related issue as well, so keep that in mind. I've seen it happen when hard drives and ram decide to take a crap on me.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    I appreciate the help I did the steps you mentioned above whrn I install the OS disc and a sceen pops upand says windows needs to be repaired I go through all the steps and it still crashes.

Don't discourage, you have about a 5-10% chance that it would have worked... it's a good step to take. Sometimes one can get lucky. (I can count on one hand how many times it actually worked with BSOD)

Did you go through all of the F8 selections? (Last known good configuration, Safe Mode?)

At this point it's no longer a fix as much as attempting to recover your data.
    If none of those work, and don't have access to another OS boot CD you can approach it from a different angle.

Keep in mind the software programs either windows or whatever else most likely are corrupted, your data is what we need to obtain (unless you don't have anything really worth saving). This might be taking the long route....

Boot off your Windows CD and reinstall it, select custom mode. When it asks where do you want to install C:\WINDOWS change the directory name, for example C:\Windows2 or whatever you like so you know which window directory is which.

DO NOT delete, resize or format the partitions at this time. You want to install it on C: without making any drastic changes. Sit through the install. Once that is done and you can get into windows, you’ll notice all your icons are gone. No worries.

Click on “My Computer” open C: drive.
    Click on Tools (on top)
    Select Folder options
    Select the View tab
    Under “Hidden files and folders” check the ‘Show hidden files and folder’
    Click OK

Back out to C:\

All your info is:

C:\doments and settings\<your name or username>

In there you will find:

-My documents
    - Favorites
    - Desktop

(and others… some will look translucent, those are the hidden directories. Don’t worry about them at the moment)

Those are the ones we want to save to a removable disk or a USB flash drive
    Once you have those 3 directories saved. IF you use Outlook for email lets see if we can recover that.

Open the directory “Local Settings” then “Application data” then “Microsoft” and “Outlook” you might find Archive or Outlook icons. This is data that outlook archives or auto archives. Copy them to a removable disk or a USB flash drive. Keep in mind that these file(s) can be pretty big. If you have more than one save the most recent one (click on View and select details)

Other data like let’s say: QuickBooks or whatever… will be in c:\program files

Another handy directory to copy is C:\WINDOWS\INF

This contains the installed drivers that were installed on your old windows.

**Pay attention to which ‘Windows’ directory, remember you now have two, the original and the others you renamed as Windows2 or whatever. You want the original.

Once you are satisfied that all is saved.

Remove the CD/flash drive you saved data to. Put in your windows disk again and reinstall. This time follow the defaults c:\windows and reformat the disk.
    Reinstall your programs… and copy over all data you saved back to their original locations….ALL BUT the C:\windows\INF and your Archived email.
    Those is you want them on your computer make a new directory “old drivers” and copy the INF in there.

For your outlook:
    Install MS Office. Setup your email configurations. When you have all that working Open Outlook, Click on “File”, select “Import Export” choose “Import from another program or file” click next scroll down a bit and select “Personal folder file (PST), in the blank window browse for where the saved Archive file is located Example: D:\archive.pst (whatever it’s called I will have a .pst extension) once that is done… follow the defaults. This will recover all email since the last archive. (may not be all of it… but some is better than none)

Let me know how it’s going.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    BTW: If you copied over an entire program directory to your backup CD or flash drive, (for example: C:\PROGRAM FILE\QUICKBOOKS) when you copy it back over to the fresh installed windows original location. The program may not work at first. Thats okay. Just reinstall Quickbooks or whatever program it is to the default location and it will rewrite just the program not your data. Once that is done, it will work.

Forgot to tell you what to do with the old INF directory.

If after reinstalling and recovering you are missing devices because of missing drivers keep in mind the most important one is your NIC driver (Network card) because once you have that you can hit the internet and download the others if necessary.
    The data you will need is in that INF directory. Keep in mind it may start to install the driver and come up with an error (for example) "can't find file "whatever.xyz" simply do a search for whatever.xyz find it and enter it's location keep searching and entering whatever file it can't find. Most times they are located under: C:WINDOWS; C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM; C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. You can save some time by entering those three directories first if it can't find it do the search

Porter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2008
    Houston
    You're having him do all of this for a driver error?

A BSOD (especially a 0xD1 error) is hardly indicative of "OS corruption".

Bexar, even though you didn't provide the accompanying text with the error message, it has been my experience that a 0xD1 error is a driver issue. Was the 0x000000D1 followed by something along the lines of "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"?

You also mention that this started after switching from DSL to Cable. This would entail some changing of equipment. Do you know if your computer is connected to the cable "modem" by a USB cable, and was your DSL router connected to your computer via USB?

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    You're having him do all of this for a driver error?

A BSOD (especially a 0xD1 error) is hardly indicative of "OS corruption".

Bexar, even though you didn't provide the accompanying text with the error message, it has been my experience that a 0xD1 error is a driver issue. Was the 0x000000D1 followed by something along the lines of "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"?

You also mention that this started after switching from DSL to Cable. This would entail some changing of equipment. Do you know if your computer is connected to the cable "modem" by a USB cable, and was your DSL router connected to your computer via USB?

If he can't get to safe mode... or to a command prompt... the Windows repair feature is FUBAR. Going based on what he is telling me.... how would you suggest he recovers from the BSOD, once he unplugs all but monitor keyboard and mouse with same trouble?
    If it was an IRQ conflict or a driver issue, when he ran Windows repair it should have corrected it. (keep in mind this is windows and the word should is used often)

Porter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2008
    Houston
    Enlighten me.... How do you figure it's a driver error?

Being an MCSA I do know certain things. For instance:

Stop 0xD1 or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The Stop 0xD1 message indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that use improper addresses typically cause this error. The problems that cause Stop 0xD1 messages share similarities with those that generate Stop 0xA errors, in that they can be caused by invalid memory and access violations.
    Interpreting the Stop 0xD1 Message

This Stop message has four parameters, as shown in Table 10.27.
    Table 10.27 Parameters for the Stop 0xD1 Message
    Parameter
    Description
    Parameter 1
    Memory referenced
    Parameter 2
    IRQL at time of reference
    Parameter 3
    ·Type of access:
    ·0x00000000 = read operation
    ·0x00000001 = write operation
    Parameter 4
    Address that referenced memory

Troubleshooting the Stop 0xD1 Error

The following section describes the most common source for this Stop error and suggests a troubleshooting solution.
    Driver and system services issues

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after you install faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If it does, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD/DVD mastering tools.

Granted, that information is from a troubleshooting guide I have for Windows 2003, but most of the base error codes are applicable across most versions of Windows.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    Yep, I agree. However what is throwing in the monkey wrench is that he is not able to get into Safe mode that would have disabled it.
    Plus when it used the safe recovery successfully... it still came back to the BSOD

Porter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2008
    Houston
    If he can't get to safe mode... or to a command prompt... the Windows repair feature is FUBAR. Going based on what he is telling me.... how would you suggest he recovers from the BSOD, once he unplugs all but monitor keyboard and mouse with same trouble?
    If it was an IRQ conflict or a driver issue, when he ran Windows repair it should have corrected it. (keep in mind this is windows and the word should is used often)

Well, if he receives the stop error before he can get into safe mode, he has a piece of faulty hardware, because the operating system hasn't even made it past the bootloader yet. If the stop error happens after the Windows splash screen, it is a driver issue, and can be corrected without, in most cases, resorting to a repair install.

By the way, when was it posted that he can't get into safe mode?

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    Well, if he receives the stop error before he can get into safe mode, he has a piece of faulty hardware, because the operating system hasn't even made it past the bootloader yet. If the stop error happens after the Windows splash screen, it is a driver issue, and can be corrected without, in most cases, resorting to a repair install.

By the way, when was it posted that he can't get into safe mode?

EDIT: put entry twice

Top Bottom