Join TexasGunTalk

Blue Wonder bore cleaner - I'm sold!

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Blind Sniper, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Blind Sniper

Blind Sniper Well-Known

Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Picked up a tube of this stuff at Cabela's last night ($12 + tax) after a fellow TGTer recommended it to me. Just got done treating my pair of 1943-dated Nagant revolvers with it.

Ho-Lee Schidt, it made a difference. Followed the directions, let it sit for about ten minutes, then spent the next 20 wiping out all the gunk (dry patches, then a Rem-Oil wipe, then more dry patches, then a final Rem-Oil wipe). The bores went from so dark that I couldn't see the rifling to nice, strong rifling (for a gun that's 70 years old) and a near-mirror finish on what metal hasn't been pitted to hell thanks to that corrosive ammo Ivan liked back then.

Has anyone else used this stuff, and if so, what was your experience?

2. Southpaw

Southpaw The High Holy Mufchetet TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I just cleaned the heck out of my 44 last night and sounds like I could have used it. Maybe I'll try it out.

3. Blind Sniper

Blind Sniper Well-Known

Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    It's definitely worth checking out for these old guns. If you do decide to buy some, it's cheaper from Midway ($8 for the same size tube), even with shipping.

The only real "downside" that I saw is that the gel was thinner than I had expected, so I wound up leaving some behind on my cleaning rag.

I'll probably repeat the treatment over the weekend if I bother shooting them. The way the rifling looks now, I'm wondering if they might be a little more accurate than before. For damn sure I'll be using this stuff on my dad's SKS once I feel like tearing it down.

ETA: I'd also recommend this if you don't like harsh chemical smells. Even though BW is ammonia-based, the smell is bearable, and it doesn't feel like it's trying to eat your hands like some stuff does (looking at you, Break-Free...)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  4. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    As a side note, if you want to keep the bores in good shape, use something other than Rem-Oil. It's barely good enough for wiping fingerprints off of your weapons.

5. Blind Sniper

Blind Sniper Well-Known

Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    I know, and I'm looking at a few different products to use in the future. If you or anyone else has anything to recommend, shoot me a PM.

6. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Blue Wonder does indeed clean. I use it for really metal fouled barrels. It has a fair amount of ammonia in it (you can smell that) along with solvents. That helps dissolve the metal fouling. It does an excellent job, but I don't think you need it every cleaning. Just now and again when things are looking bad.

7. Blind Sniper

Blind Sniper Well-Known

Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    That's what my plan is. I'm saving this stuff for old/used guns and heavy fouling, hence why dad's SKS is a prime candidate.

8. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Ballistol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

9. Blind Sniper

Blind Sniper Well-Known

Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Yep, already got a can in my Midway cart for my next order. Thinking if this Hoppe's oil (found it floating around dad's bag of cleaning stuff) doesn't work, I'll try the Ballistol.

10. ShootingTheBull

ShootingTheBull Active Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Ballistol's good stuff. The shipping from Midway makes it expensive, but if you're in the Spring area there's a local dealer, Gulf Coast Firearms, where you can stop by and pick some up.