• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Using ammonia for cleaning your barrel brings some caution. At 28% strength in typical 416R steel the barrel can suffer from the exposure. The result can be pitting and hazing and the ammonia can 'dry' the steel and reduce surface tension, which will increase fouling and bring it on sooner.

Your weapon do as you see fit, just bear in mind that heavy use and long soak times can lead to a shorten barrel life, accuracy issues and worse fouling.
    Gun Zone Deals

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    How is this stuff on bluing? My deceased FIL's 1941 Winchester bolt 22 could use something like this.
    works very well...a little BW & very light circular motions with some very fine steel wool, remember to use a good gun oil afterwards...it is a true chemical clean
    Picked up a tube of this stuff at Cabela's last night ($12 + tax) after a fellow TGTer recommended it to me. Just got done treating my pair of 1943-dated Nagant revolvers with it.

Ho-Lee Schidt, it made a difference. Followed the directions, let it sit for about ten minutes, then spent the next 20 wiping out all the gunk (dry patches, then a Rem-Oil wipe, then more dry patches, then a final Rem-Oil wipe). The bores went from so dark that I couldn't see the rifling to nice, strong rifling (for a gun that's 70 years old) and a near-mirror finish on what metal hasn't been pitted to hell thanks to that corrosive ammo Ivan liked back then.

Has anyone else used this stuff, and if so, what was your experience?

Just found this post, I'm glad it worked well for you. I figured it would. Been using it for years. Again, I'm glad it worked out for ya

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I don't think Blue Wonder has -that- much ammonia in it, and I was only gonna let it sit for ten minutes (their recommended max).
    As long as you know and understand you are in great shape...

Here is what BW says: ". IMPORTANT!! After using Blue Wonder™ Gun Cleaner, the metal surfaces of the firearm will be chemically clean and free from all lead, powder and other fouling residue,
    thus it is VERY IMPORTANT to finish the cleaning process by applying a coat of quality
    gun oil to all metal surfaces to prevent rusting. (The ammonia content is less than ¾ of
    1% with a Ph factor of 8.2.)"

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Greg, was wondering when you'd see this :p. Used this on my Chiappa .22, ran out of .22 patches before the bore got clean. Finished off with some .30-cal patches, needed 40 total between mine and a friend's 795. Thanks again for the recommendation.

No worries Cowboy, I'm OCD about following the directions with things like this. Made sure everything that got the BW treatment got a good coat of oil after.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    How is this stuff on bluing? My deceased FIL's 1941 Winchester bolt 22 could use something like this.

Greg, was wondering when you'd see this :p. Used this on my Chiappa .22, ran out of .22 patches before the bore got clean. Finished off with some .30-cal patches, needed 40 total between mine and a friend's 795. Thanks again for the recommendation.

good deal, when I use it, I ball up some paper towels or TP for the 1st few passes until it is almost all out. Glad it worked out, remember....unless you just do a butt load of shooting, ya shouldn't need to use it very often. Shoot safe Bigun.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    I do as much shooting as I can manage, make a habit out of cleaning whatever I shoot soon as I'm done for the day though. Thinking I'll save the BW for a once- or twice-a-year treatment, stick with Hoppe's #9 for the daily stuff.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch

No worries Cowboy, I'm OCD about following the directions with things like this. Made sure everything that got the BW treatment got a good coat of oil after.
    You seem like you have a good understanding of taking care of your weaponry. All to often we fall into the trap of if a drop is good then a cupful is better, if it sez to let set for 1 min then 1 hr is better and I too have fallen into the trap myself over the years.

If you want the best CARBON cleaner I have ever used and I am talking serious carbon fouling, stop off at your local auto dealer, I get mine at GM dealer, another guy I know gets his over at Ford. Ask for a can of carbon remover for engines. I first came across it back in the 60's. I had some to remove the carbon and fouling from heat riser valves. It is also a HIGH temp lube. Pour some on your BCG and other areas of carbon fouling, go to lunch and come back to a clean weapon. I bought it for my platoon in the Army when we used blanks on field opns. It is truly AMAZING stuff. Not cheap but it lasts for years, came in pints and quarts.

Top Bottom