• ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Ok, I'm stumped.

When I grab the end of the cable sheath (1st pic) with vise grips, I can move the sheath back and forth across the cable relatively easy which in turn rotates the steering wheel. I don't hear or feel any grinding or odd sounds implying there's nothing wrong going back to the wheel.

The piston or plunger (2nd pic) seems to be the issue. I have only been able to make it go in but that was using a hammer and took some doing. Apparently the cable free floats somehow inside the piston but I can't seem to free it from the motor mounts. Over the course of hours I've used 1/2 a can of PB blaster. Any help is appreciated.

ETA:
    Rack n pinion steering by Teleflex Mod. SH5098
    Cable by Teleflex Mod. SSC124 14'

steeringcable1_zpscf20c4dc.jpg

steeringcable2_zps94374e64.jpg

Last edited:

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm not a boat guy but maybe you could use some vise grips with a slide hammer attachment to pull that piston out. Then maybe a wheel cylinder hone to clean up the inside of that piston cylinder. Might even be binding up on that crusty nut which may need replacement. Any how that's my 2 cents, good luck with it.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    With a 2x4 as reference, I don't think there's room or a good angle to use a slide hammer. Besides, I don't have one. lol

I did stick a screw driver in the piston bolt hole and try to pry it out against the motor mount. Once again angle and room didn't leave much to work with.

The crusty nut holds that side of the piston bore in place, obviously another one opposite side. Removing the bore to inspect it is actually where I'm stumped. Thanks for the input.

steeringcable3_zps58bf91cc.jpg

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Glockster, if only you had a nickel for every time your crusty nuts were causing problems...

Water boarding is just baptizing terrorists with freedom.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Bump for the stumped one :(

Rack n pinion steering by Teleflex Mod. SH5098
    Cable by Teleflex Mod. SSC124 14'

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Yes sir, rack is fine. I've determined it's bindng at the motor end of the cable in the piston/bore.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I'm not boat person either.

Can the rack be disconnected and get at the stuck component from the other direction?

I can only assume removal is not an option?

what little work I've done on a boat, access is a PITA.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    If the wheel turns when the sheath is moved it means the end of the sheath is LOOSE. Acetone & ATF is the best pentrating oil.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    If the wheel turns when the sheath is moved it means the end of the sheath is LOOSE. Acetone & ATF is the best pentrating oil.
    lol, Yes I know. I was trouble shooting.

The good news is after too many calls and some charge by phone issues, I finally got the cable ordered through Capt. Kirk's Marine in The Woodlands and Toya was VERY helpful! They will have it sometime tomorrow. The bad news is they close at 5pm which is my quitting time. :(

But more good news, my bud (ZX9R) Cam has agreed to pick it up on his way home and then I'll get it from him. Thank you Cam, much appreciated! See you Tuesday evening.

BTW: I described you as 'the handsome white haired gentlemen arriving at 5pm'. :cool:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Folks, it you haven't done maintenance on your steering cable lately GO DO IT NOW!!!

It's easier than working on one ;)

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    2 Words! Hydraulic Steering.
    I'll up you a word, see above post :(

Folks you can go to bed now and I'll have an adult beverage. After the better part of one can of Corrosion Block and some vigorous cable manipulation, my 1st world problem is solved. The cable and steering tube were simply corroded together. Things are butter smooth now.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks cat, me too. There IS something about having a NIB $150 part sitting here yet being stubborn and wanting to find out what really was wrong.

For Corrosion Block see link in post 12. You can get many other places too.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom