• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Love the winchesters but I am a JM Marlin man always

What do you think would be the ideal round for them? 22 mag? Just curious
    Maybe there is a round that's ideal for bobcats. Usually they're just targets of opportunity. Like yours today. Those ghat go hunting for cats come back empty handed more often than not.

All that said, if I were hunting for predators in the 30 to 50 lb range and somewhere around 100 yds or less, I'd sure consider a .22 magnum. Being a reloader I'd most likely go for a .22 hornet with a semi jacket soft point. Work on the velocity till I got a decent penetration and accuracy without a huge exit wound.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    There is one that lives in the creek by UTD. I have seen him numerous times around dawn. I have left food out for him, trying to get closeups from a remote camera. No joy. I hear him sometimes at night.

I am willing to set my wife's Peke out as tethered bait but she keeps vetoing the idea for some silly reason.

Army1911,

IF you want to get the bobcat to "come in", get a young goat & "stake it out".
    When you get your photos OR your "kitty-cat trophy", then BBQ the goat.
    (Bobcats hunt/kill/eat WT deer & other smaller creatures, so a young goat would be PERFECT as "bait.)

Note: MY best friend's neighbor in Austin has a full-body mount of a BIG Tom in their LR. - I would guess that the cat weighed about 50# when alive.
    (Neal collected him in 2013 with a Remington Model 760 in .243WCF.)

yours, satx

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lol... those 2 posts^^^

We had a young lineman hire on with a few years ago. He chimed in on a coyote hunting conversation one day... "if you really wanna call in a bunch of coyotes... get a live chicken, tie that sucker upside down from a tree about 5ft from the ground. They'll come running in like you've never seen." That visual made all us bust out laughing. He was dead serious...

I believe him too. I bet that would work very well.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    FireInTheWire,

I'd bet everything in my wallet that the young man's idea of a live chicken for "bait" would work & WELL, too.
    (I just may try that idea for hunting "over bait" with my XB. - Chickens are MUCH CHEAPER than goats, too.)

Slightly "off topic": I know a fellow from down near Houston who uses live chickens "in a harness" for SHARK BAIT.
    (As much as I hate to see people kill big sharks because they reproduce so slowly & many species are classified as "threatened", his technique has taken any number of BIG Tigers, Makos & Lemons.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Slightly "off topic": I know a fellow from down near Houston who uses live chickens "in a harness" for SHARK BAIT.
    (As much as I hate to see people kill big sharks, his technique has taken any number of BIG Tigers & Lemons.)

yours, satx

So do live kittens, at least that's what I heard.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    When I saw the boot toe, I was thinking along the same lines except my thought was that's a kitten not yet a cat. Of course they may be smaller here in TX than up north where they need to be larger to endure the cold.
    I think the picture is deceiving. The taxidermist had commented that it was a “good size cat”. His walls are covered in bobcats, some smaller than this one. But its my first one so who knows. Ill take his word though. Hes been hunting in this part of Texas for 30 years

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I think the picture is deceiving. The taxidermist had commented that it was a “good size cat”. His walls are covered in bobcats, some smaller than this one. But its my first one so who knows. Ill take his word though. Hes been hunting in this part of Texas for 30 years
    So how much longer you have until you get it back? My buddy sent his 30" speckled trout to a taxidermist thats pretty well known down in Corpus & he had a 1yr wait.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    So how much longer you have until you get it back? My buddy sent his 30" speckled trout to a taxidermist thats pretty well known down in Corpus & he had a 1yr wait.
    Should be september-october time frame. He said 10 months. My elk is the same but that one is being done up in the northeast

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

EZ-E,

Fwiw, I've never in 73 years caught a Speck anywhere near 30". = VERY NICE.

yours, satx

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I have a picture of a big bass I caught right after I got out of the Marines. There are some places online that can make up a fish mount with just a picture. Im going to try that out real soon

I am much more of a hunter but I thought this was pretty cool considering I just spent 4 years being a social security number with legs for uncle same. For relation, I am 210 pounds and 6' 1"
    IMG_1156_copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1156_copy.jpg
      IMG_1156_copy.jpg
      99.1 KB · Views: 460
    Top Bottom