• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ok, I remember now. They make the funny loading 9mm.

Don't know that I wanna spend $1200 for one, but want one.

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    I like ugly. Makes me look handsome next to it. In all seriousness though, I care more about how it shoots. An inch shorter than a g36 with the same size barrel, I'd be interested.

W

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Yeah, the appeal factor to Boberg is that they can squeeze a longer barrel into the same overall length. So for the same length barrel, you get a smaller gun. Or, for the same size gun, you get a more powerful pistol. But they're expensive and they apparently can not be used with all ammo, as the unique feeding system definitely prefers some rounds over others. I don't know that I'd rush out to get one just yet, but I am always a fan of genuine innovation, and the Boberg seems to have innovated here.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    It is rather...large...

I like the 9mm Bobergs enough to work one in my regular carry rotation, but I didn't like either of the .45's I played with a few days ago.

Alex

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I hope it works. The Bobergs in 9mm are ammo sensitive. Boberg is up-front about it. Cartridges must employ a strong taper crimp so that the bullet seating depth will withstand the initial shock of being jerked violenty backwards out of the magazine before being shoved into the chamber. I've heard (never seen, just heard) that with some unsuitable ammo the Boberg 9mms will simply jerk the case right off the bullet, leaving the bullet in the magazine, usually misfeeding the case into the chamber, and dumping powder everywhere.

I'm having trouble swallowing the notion that 230-grain hardball slugs are going to stay in place when subjected to that.

However, Boberg has been good about saying "Use this ammo. We've tested it and it works." Then they publish a long list. I assume they'll do the same for the .45 but I imagine the list will be a bit shorter.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Booth was busy busy busy at the SHOT show.

It's a very slick item. Same size as an XD-s, but with a half inch more barrel and an additional round of capacity. But, yes, it is twice the price of the Springfield too.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I hope it works. The Bobergs in 9mm are ammo sensitive. Boberg is up-front about it. Cartridges must employ a strong taper crimp so that the bullet seating depth will withstand the initial shock of being jerked violenty backwards out of the magazine before being shoved into the chamber. I've heard (never seen, just heard) that with some unsuitable ammo the Boberg 9mms will simply jerk the case right off the bullet, leaving the bullet in the magazine, usually misfeeding the case into the chamber, and dumping powder everywhere.

I'm having trouble swallowing the notion that 230-grain hardball slugs are going to stay in place when subjected to that.

However, Boberg has been good about saying "Use this ammo. We've tested it and it works." Then they publish a long list. I assume they'll do the same for the .45 but I imagine the list will be a bit shorter.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

I've seen the bullet-puller thing documented on a blog I trust. Weak (more like no) crimps seem to allow the bullet to leave the case entirely.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Done it on my own guns. Easy to duplicate, just skip the "crimp" step on reloads.

Which is why I don't shoot anyone else's reloads. My pair of 9mm's would shoot Winchester "White Box" just fine, so properly made cheap ammo was no problem... Although I carry mine with Silvertips ;)

Alex

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom