• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Anyone here have a bobtailed 1911? I'm considering doing mine but I'd like to handle one first. I've got a few mods I'd like to get done at once so I can refinish once.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I've debated the bobtail v. Oacp frame so many times. I probably should just do one once and for all

I've had the Oacp and the grip was perfect and conceal was excellent. With a high undercut trigger guard and high grip safety, it tucked that recoil nicely. The downside to an Oacp is getting frame. Spending $250-$300 on the frame alone, then getting small parts & mags to fill it is way more than I'd like to spend now. I also lose a bullet in capacity unless I upgrade to Wilson mags that do give that one bullet back.

If I do bobtail, I bear the expense of a new MSH/parts. The actual work and refinish I'd do myself for well under the cost of an Oacp route.

<sigh>

Decisions decisions

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    From someone that has both, bobtail hands down!! I didn't think I would have thought that.

My Kimber Compact (Combat Carry) is an officers frame, 4" barrel. I thought it was the cats meow for carry because of the shorter grip (weight is nice too but I'll focus on the grip) Shooting it is fine but I sure like having a full sized grip. Carrying the compact is nice but the heel of the frame is what will jab me in the side if I turn just right etc. and what sticks out/prints most if I bend/twist just right. Not a big deal as it's not noticeable to anyone but me.

The bobtailed frame is actually shorter at the heel which I didn't expect. It being rounded as well, I don't even feel it. Bend, twist, whatever, it just vanishes; I don't feel it.

Shooting is really nice too. I still have the full size grip but where the BT msh starts is where the palm of my hand just wraps comfortably. Full control, maybe better, but I don't have the lower part of the MSH to the heel to bite into my palm.

My bobtail is much heavier since it's all steel but carrys awsome. I've just recently stared carrying my CC sometimes when I'm wearing really light summer shorts. The fact that they can't handle a 1.5" belt and are really lightweight, I'm having to use a 1.25" gun belt which works perfectly but the lesser weight of the CC just helps that much more. Otherwise, the HD comes with me. Even with the Larry Davidson Warhog grips that can act like a rasp on bare sweaty skin. :D

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Excellent. JKTex I've seen pics of the 2 guns stacked on each other and I've seen what you said about the heel of the bobtail being shorter than the Oacp frame. It was impressive.

Going with the bobtail I can still do the undercut trigger guard and high cut grip safety like I like.

I'm glad that my summer shorts can handle the 1.5" belt. I don't understand how most cargo shorts and khaki pants these days can't handle a 1.5" belt After all, the style they are leaning towards is utility and comfort for summer on the go. Why wouldn't they accommodate a 1.5" carry belt??

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Most of mine do and I do wear a 1.5" but I have a few pairs of really lightweight shorts that otherwise I wouldn't even bother with a belt. But I have a 1.25" horsehide from The Beltman that works perfectly with those.

We're not far from each other so maybe one day you could take a look at mine. But I'm telling you, bobtail all the way for best of both worlds and maybe even better in some ways. ;)

Hughree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    I have a Dan Wesson CBOB that I would be happy to let you examine. This is an all steel, factory bobtail. Mine wears smooth grips and has been Cerakoted. Those changes aside, it's bone stock.

Your are wise to see how a bobtail feels before making up your mind. I was surprised to find my palm rolls under the bobtailed frame when executing a mag change; it stops the released mag from free falling. It doesn't happen with the full length frame and I have had to adjust my technique when ejecting a magazine to address the issue. Your hand may be different. Since the bobtail was designed to facilitate concealment, I think it is more appropriate on an alloy frame. I have thought about having my aluminum Kimber Pro Carry bobtailed but, to be honest, I don't find the full size weapon difficult to conceal with the proper holster. I am in Rowlett and can meet you if you like. Just email me at hbrooks3@earthlink.net. God bless.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I have a Dan Wesson CBOB that I would be happy to let you examine. This is an all steel, factory bobtail. Mine wears smooth grips and has been Cerakoted. Those changes aside, it's bone stock.

Your are wise to see how a bobtail feels before making up your mind. I was surprised to find my palm rolls under the bobtailed frame when executing a mag change; it stops the released mag from free falling. It doesn't happen with the full length frame and I have had to adjust my technique when ejecting a magazine to address the issue. Your hand may be different. Since the bobtail was designed to facilitate concealment, I think it is more appropriate on an alloy frame. I have thought about having my aluminum Kimber Pro Carry bobtailed but, to be honest, I don't find the full size weapon difficult to conceal with the proper holster. I am in Rowlett and can meet you if you like. Just email me at hbrooks3@earthlink.net. God bless.

Thank you Hughree.

I have heard that the grip feel does change so I'm interested in how it would change for me. Once you lop off that metal it's not easy to put back!

I'm carrying an all steel Commander that weighs in loaded at 2lbs 8.5oz I knew it was heavy but I hadn't actually weighed it until now. Ah well, my belt does it's job. I'm interested in knocking down that grip protrusion. Since I'm a smaller profile, that grip prints in a hurry.

Have you noticed, or had the chance to feel a difference in regards to the grip safety engagement, the MSH shape (flat or arched) and the thumb placement? (I prefer a high thumb but often that leads to not disengaging the grip safety and no bang. I'm currently using a flat MSH and stock GS but I'm planning to go to a high grip GS w/raised pad.

BTW, how do you like the Cerakote? After these frame mods I'm going to refinish, at least to a parkerized finish (currently matte blue) and am considering a Cerakote over Park.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    BTW, how do you like the Cerakote? After these frame mods I'm going to refinish, at least to a parkerized finish (currently matte blue) and am considering a Cerakote over Park.

For what it's worth, Chuck Rogers uses that almost exclusively on his customs. And some of his guns go to some brutal environments.

And there are some pretty cool colors to choose from!

His personal gun rides in Kydex and goes on 4 wheeler rides out in the Arizona desert where dust fills the Kydex. It shows some holster wear but not as much as you'd expect, but it 100% protected.

You've probably seen some of his full customs and customer guns on the other site, and maybe even his work horse personal gun.

Hughree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cerakote is OK. I didn't choose it or I would have gone with Melonite, Hard Hat or other metal treatments as opposed to coatings. It is what Dan Wesson used on my full size Valor so I went with it when the bobtail needed warranty work. It will wear pretty quickly from regular usage, especially with Kydex and around most edges. But in my case it's applied over a stainless pistol so it's a belt AND suspernders redundancy. I would have been happy with the properties of stainless but I prefer a black pistol for carry. I don't care that much about how it looks as much as I care about how easy it is to see.

I don't think you are going to find the bobtailed frame affects any part of your hand above the base of your thumb on your palm. Ultra thin grips would have greater impact on finger reach. I shoot thumbs forward, but not resting on the thumb safety. My strong hand thumb is noticeably shorter (jammed a jillion times in high school sports) and the thumb on safety espoused by many will often give me unreliable contact with the grip safety, even with a pad. You could always go with a Gunsite style low thumb safety if you are digitally challenged and just have to put your teeny thumb on the safety.

Lots of people have CBOB's so my problem may be somewhat unique. I also find my palm causes the same problem when ejecting mags from a Springfield XD Compact using full size mags and a spacer. I shoot a LOT of different guns but make it a practice not to carry those that require me to adopt a new manual of arms.

Hope this helps. God bless.

Top Bottom