• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JakSlapped

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 1, 2019
    Spring, Tx
    Looking to pick up a bolt action hunting rifle. Mainly for deer hunting, looking at 7mm08 or 270. Looking for a few options and would like your reasons, TIA!
    Gun Zone Deals

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'm not going to recommend a particular brand of rifle, because there are quite many in bolt action that cover the price range of inexpensive to open your wallet much wider!

Personally, I'd recommend the 7mm-08 over the 270, and I do own and have deer hunted with both in the past. In most deer hunting, the 7mm-08 will perform just as well as the 270, with much less felt recoil, and the 270 only has a slight advantage at some more extreme ranges. IMO, the 7mm-08 is just a more efficient cartridge. If you reload, there are way more projectiles in 7mm than in 270, and it takes much less powder charges to achieve the same ballistics results for most hunting applications, with much less recoil, making the rifle much more pleasant to shoot.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

1601107883436.png

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    axis is a decent rifle.

are you worried about recoil?

these are so close, with the edge on power marginally going to the .308, and .308 is generally about half the price of 7mm08 if i remember correctly, and is definitely more available. both perfectly adequate deer cartridges though.

plus you can run .32 acp in the .308 rifle for small game/pests.

Last edited:

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Both are good choices and both can take down a deer and even up to and including Elk. I would make sure that you can get the ammo or if you reload the necessary components. Myself I prefer the 7mm-08, no good reason, I just do. As stated by others there are a lot of choices out there and it comes down to the amount of $$ you want to spend. And then you will spend almost as much fo rthe optics. I have a Ruger American, but you can get one from Savage, Tika, Thompson Center and the list goes on.

Good luck with your choice.

JakSlapped

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 1, 2019
    Spring, Tx
    Well, I was leaning to the 7mm08 but this just help push me more to that caliber. Thank yall

I did not know you could shoot 32acp out of .308. Thats interesting

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Well, I was leaning to the 7mm08 but this just help push me more to that caliber. Thank yall

I did not know you could shoot 32acp out of .308. Thats interesting

7mm-08 is an awesome cartridge. It's almost one of those perfect cartridges, if there ever could be a perfect cartridge.

I like the 270, but I love the 7mm-08!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Remington is in bankruptcy, and though they will probably survive, I think it's a consideration when purchasing from them. Plus, their older 700 rifles had serious issues with the safety (which only applies if you're buying a used rifle). I'm fond of the Winchester Model 70, but Ruger and Savage both make excellent rifles. As an earlier poster pointed out, Savage is super competitively priced. If recoil is an issue, keep in mind that the heavier the rifle, the more it will absorb the recoil. For a while it's been very popular to use lightweight rifles - even in magnum calibers. Yes, they're easy to carry, but you pay for that every time you touch the trigger. I ran into a couple that was complaining about the recoil on a .270, which I consider to be very average. But it was a synthetic stock, light barrel rifle, and it put all the recoil into their shoulders.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    For a budget rifle Id go with a savage axis and not be disappointed. For a better quality gun, I would go with a Bergara or Weatherby. I have had very bad luck with Ruger Americans so I cannot recommend them to anyone

I think the 7mm-08 is a great cartridge and would probably pick it over the 270. Also if you dont reload, you usually will have no problem buying 7mm during a panic buy at most stores. I would say it is a bit more obscure than 270

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    there are actually a lot of different rounds you can jam into a .308 or 30-06.

you can find these cheaper, i think i got a few on fleabay for less than 7 bucks, i jsut had to sand the base down a bit on them a bit as they were a few thousandths to long. turns that relativley short ruger american into a real handy little pest controller, and not as loud as a full on rifle shot.

Reactions: MTA

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Reactions: MTA

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Savage for an inexpensive rifle is really hard to beat.

Another good one, but discontinued that I have in 7mm-08 is the Marlin XS7 bolt action. These are great rifles, and I own three of them.

Only way I'd recommend the Remington M700 would be an older one. Their quality has slipped pretty bad over the last few years.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    My experience reloading the 7mm-08 actually pushed me away from the cartridge. My rifle was a cheap Stevens lightweight and it kicked worse than my 280 Remington. Lightweights always sound good but they are no fun at the range.

My hangup with the 7mm-08 was that I couldn't reproduce factory velocities without blowing out primers. Tried several powders. Heck, even Hornady superformance blew out primers. Seemed like they were trying to get too much out of the cartridge.

My tried and true hunting rifle is a Ruger M77 mkii chambered in 280 Remington. I bet you can still find 280 ammo out there. Anyhow if I was starting over and didn't reload I'd buy a Tikka or howa in your choice of caliber.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom