Bolt Rifle Suggestions

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by TAZ, Dec 9, 2008.

1. TAZ

TAZ Active Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    So I am pretty close to wrapping up my 2 AR projects and am considering another money pit in the form of a bolt gun. I have neither the tools not the skills to actually build one, so aside from some basinc accessories it needs to run out of the box.

I would like for it to be 308 since I have some experience with the round and have dies some brass....

The majority of the time spent behind it will be at a range punching paper, but I would like to be abel to get out in the field with it and go after hogs and deer. We are talking maybe 80/20 range/field at best probably closer to 90/10. While I have owned some heavy barrel varmint/tactical rigs and enjoyed shooting them at a range or in a supported environment, I am not vain enough to pretend that humping a 14#+ rifle around the field will do anything but give me a heart attack :)

I have fondled a Tikka T3 that felt very good in the hand and I am told they are VERY good shooters, so shooting for groups at the range would not be a frustrating experience.

Any other suggestions aside form getting a varmint rig and gym membership.

2. O.S.O.K.

O.S.O.K. Member

3. Charley

Charley Active Member

Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Those Savages are hard to beat for value. Nice thing is, if you get bored with .308, they are relatively easy and inexpensive to rebarrel.

4. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The Savage rifles are nice, though I've been really happy with my Tikka T3 Lite in .308. Remington 700s are another option. I don't like the lack of space in the short action .308 Remington 700 rifles. It normally wouldn't be a problem but Remington puts rather long throats on their rifle chambers, so at maximum OAL that will fit in a short action magazine, a .308 projectile won't even come close to the rifling. Some people argue that it has negligent effect on accuracy, but I've heard otherwise. I've only ever shot a 700 in .30-06 and while it was a nice rifle, I wasn't impressed with it's accuracy compared to mine. The Savage and Tikka will group tight, the Tikkas have a 1" guarantee. My first two rounds at 50 yards went through the exact same hole, so I have little reason to doubt their accuracy claim. My groups at 100 yards have been tiny as well.

5. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Sako TRG

Go big.

6. TAZ

TAZ Active Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I like Savage also. I have had 2 Savage 10FP's to date and both have been better out of the box than either my 700PSS and Mod 70 Stealth. Maybe I should stick to what I know.

I would love to, McBrides even has one in stock. Wanna buy a Kidney???

7. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    You might want to look into remingtons vts series 700 supposed to be a very good rifle.

8. tlshark

tlshark New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Personally I like the Remington 700 PSS in .308

9. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If you buy my left arm first.

10. Morgan

Morgan Member

Dec 2, 2008