• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Bosch make a detector that detects steel up to 4.75" deep in concrete. Around $80 at home depot. I think you'd know it when hitting metal when drill through concrete.

300blk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    If your safe is large, bolting really is not necessary. By the time you load it up, it will be too heavy to move. You could always put a thick steel plate in the bottom, or some lead shot.

Small one, different story.

this is absolutely not true and bad advice. Two guys with the right dolly can easily move several thousand pounds. Especially if they arent worried about damaging your walls..

300blk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    You could cut the carpet out of the way and glue it down to the concrete.

If you do, use good construction adhesive and put the glue down in circles. Makes little suction cups and really amplifies the holding power.

I tried this and it was hard to tell if it worked. When I moved two guys easily broke the adhesion. I would stick to bolting.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    this is absolutely not true and bad advice. Two guys with the right dolly can easily move several thousand pounds. Especially if they arent worried about damaging your walls..

I know what it took to get the safe into its current position - empty.

Loaded? They will break the typical hand truck or appliance truck trying to pick it up. And if properly placed (which mine is), they cannot tilt it to get a dolly under it. If they have a steel dolly. May be able to damage the sheet rock, they won't be able to break the studs behind the sheet rock.

It ain't going nowhere.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    You can easily see the location of the cables out side the home on the edge of the slab. They are in a grid pattern 36 or 48 inches on center. I've seen 24 inches sometimes. Your slab is probably 6 inches in the garage and no less than 4 inches thick everywhere else. Go out side and find the places where the cones were patched over and measure. Do it both directions. Go into the room where you will pit the safe and transfer the measurements. Don't forget the width of the walls. Don't know that? Have someone out side a window find them then transfer it inside and measure out from there. The cables will be about half the thickness of the slab.

measure right and you would have to really screw up to hit one.

Top Bottom