APOD Firearms

Bone Pain. Blinding Pain. You'd Run If There Was Any Place To Run To............

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    This thread is about what I call "Bone Pain" . Bone Pain is so severe that you'd run if there was anywhere to run. It is blinding, all consuming and so severe that normal pain killers cease to work. You double down on the pain meds, but they work less and for less time. Where can you go? What can you do?

For years, I beat on heavy body bags until my elbows were black & blue. There was a time when had to do that and it saved my butt several times. Now, at 67yo, I'm paying for the youthful abuse to my body.

About a week ago, I got my yard all trimmed up and used the Echo Weed Eater for 3 solid hours. That got my left elbow fired up. Rain followed and the weather change made the pain worse. The elbow joint swelled to 1 1/2 times normal size. The left arm is bent in an "L", refuses to straighten out and I can't touch my nose.

This weekend, we had another weather change and that put the elbow into warp drive. Alieve stopped helping, Ibuprofin went down like candy and still the pain hammered on.

I woke up today with severe pain in that elbow but was determined to have a productive day. I came home, took a nap and woke up with pain running off the scale!

I rushed into the reloading room where the "TENS" units are stored. The electrode packages were torn open, wires unstrung, two places around the elbow were shaved and I wired up! Within 5 minutes, the pain was reduced to discomfort! Blessed relief! I am NOT in pain!

The next thought that went through my head was "i wonder if any of the TGT guys have to deal with this stuff? They need to know about TENS units!

Tens units take a 9 volt battery source and turn it into a scrambling signal that blocks pain. I have a set of 9 volt rechargeable batteries but it's been a while since I used the units so the rechargeables were down. I slammed in a 9v standard battery and started cooking!

TENS works almost immediately and the only down side is that the wires and electrodes are a PITA to string through your clothing. The electrodes are adhesive and after determining what works best for you, it's easy to apply them. I shave the electrode area then clean the skin with alcohol before sticking the electrode on the skin. You can use 2 electrodes or 4 and there are individual controls on each pair.

Here's the best part........... A pain therapist will charge $250 for a TENS unit. They are sold only by prescription. I found out that the doctor will gladly write a scrip, then you Email it to the TENS company and that lets you buy several units if you wish. The one I'm wired to right now, cost $28. I have several others that cost about $40 each. When pain is worst, I'd gladly give $200 for a TENS unit! THEY WORK!

They say that TENS units do not promote healing, but my experience says that when you remove the stress of constant pain hammering on the affected area, things get better quicker.

There are many sources for these units but here's where I got mine.
    http://www.tensproducts.com/

You need not be a slave to bone pain!

Flash
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    UPDATE:

I wore my TENS unit all night, had to wake up to untangle the wires but got wonderful pain relief with ZERO pain medication. I wore a "T" shirt to bed and stored the TENS in the pocket of the shirt. It fell out and got tangled up.

This morning, I was feeling much better but the electrode patches were beginning to come loose due to skin oils. I took two Aleve, gave them time to start working, then removed the TENS unit. So far, the pain has been managed by 2 Aleve 8 hours apart. Pain pills wouldn't scratch the pain before! I believe the TENS unit had a role in throttling back this crazy pain machine. It's still uncomfortable but manageable.

Flash

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Back dr used to use one similar on me, wore the muscles out so fast they would relax for hours. As a kid, I had ALOT of fun, now nothing works right. Drs cant figure out how I can have multiple surgeries at same time and not take pain meds after. Only thing that hurt now is sudden intense pain. Most time, I dont even know I get cut till domeone tells me I am bleeding. But tens units can help sometimes, I agree

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Using the TENS unit relieves me of the need to take pain meds. I can snarf Ibuprofin until they make me sick, switch to TENS to get away from the drugs. This is the third day of this saga and the left elbow slacked off enough that I may stop taking or using any pain relief.

They SAY the TENS does not promote healing. I believe it does comparing how I was three days ago and how it is today. It's a world of difference! I'll put the TENS units away carefully until the next flareup.

Flash

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    They work for lower back pain, too? I take ibuprofen pretty regular but should really find an alternative. It's hard on your liver and kidneys if you take it all the time.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    A previous Doctor that I had put me on some medication that formed Kidney stones. Over & over, those stones put me down. Pills only took some of the edge off of the pain and eventually, they made be sick to my stomach. In desperation, I put a TENS patch low on my belly on the side the stone was traveling. The other patch went over my right kidney. It put a stop to that pain immediately!

For lower back pain, I would use 4 patches spaced over the painful area. Yes.....the darned things work!

Prices went up a bit since I got mine. Their cheapest model is about $39. Buy some extra patches (electrodes) and put the unit up where you can get at it easily. When the bad pain comes, hook up and zap it!

I just recharged all of my rechargeable NMH 9 volt batteries and will store it all until the next unfortunate event. I keep several new 9volt batteries in my TENS unit box for quick deployment.

I still can't bend my elbow but I'm totally off pain meds, swelling is going down and I credit use of the TENS unit for 24 hours as I did.

Flash

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Yes they work on backs, the chiropractor used them on me. Relax you like a neked woman back rub, but not quite as fun

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I store my TENS units in a spotting scope case that looks like a small suitcase. When I awoke from my nap, this elbow hurt so badly that I grabbed the case handle and let what was on top of the case fall to the floor. I was almost in a panic. I've have many injuries and can take a lot of pain but this Bone Pain is off the scale! I used the TENS for 24 hours, switched back to Alieve and on the third day, I'm off any meds! I won't tell you that it doesn't hurt but not badly enough that I can't disregard it. Movement is a little better but I still can't touch my nose or straighten my arm.

That's how the TENS has worked for me every time. I really think that it aids in healing what made the joint hurt to begin with. Thank God that it makes pain manageable!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I saw TENS units on Amazon.com and no mention of a prescription is found in the ads. If someone can add anything to this, please feel free to post.

Here's the information from where I bought my TENS units:

TENS Unit
    TENS is an acronym for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. A TENS unit sends electrical impulses through the skin (transcutaneously) to stimulate nerves and block pain signals being sent by the injury site.
    TENSproducts.com only sells FDA approved TENS units. Our TENS units are Class II Medical devices and require a prescription unless you are a licensed healthcare professional or are purchasing outside the USA.

This is pretty clear, yet I see nothing like that on the Amazon ads. I'm confused.

Flash

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    As far as I know, some can be sold without presription. The otc excersise electric belts are basically the same thing. Some are strong enough to cause you to curl up twitching like a taser would. The one the chropracter usedbon me was only sold to med proffessionals, not otc.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My TENS units are so powerful that when used on my knees, they will make the large muscles in my upper leg bunch up like a fist! If you turn these things up too high, they can burn your skin under the electrode patch. When pain gets out of control, the tendency is to crank her up! The best way is to set the unit where it makes the area tingle, let it go for a while, and see what happens to the pain. In 5 minutes or so, it's a whole new world!

Later, as the battery voltage is reduced, you may need to tweak the unit up a bit higher to compensate for the battery condition. A new battery will last 8 hours and still have plenty of energy left. I wouldn't start a new day with a depleted battery without carrying a fresh one with me.

When the TENS is turned up all the way and tingling is not felt, it's time for a new 9 volt battery.

Flash

Top Bottom