• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I don't think the shock would ignite adjacent rounds. Gun powder isn't shock-sensitive to my knowledge. It only burns when you light it.

Now, explosives like C4, TNT and dynamite... You can add them to your campfire without having to worry about blowing yourself up (as long as you don't have a cap in any of them), but I wouldn't be swinging a hammer at any of them.
    DK Firearms

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    All it takes is a spark in that powder...

But you're right, looking at it again it doesn't look like that happened. More like the gases coming by from the (probably overloaded) cartridge blew the soft brass apart and unseated and "shot" the bullets out.

100% correct. There is a reason that there is a maximum pressure rating. If you routinely see what you can get away wwith, eventually it will bite you in the ass.

Esoterix

Sep 18, 2008
    GunBroker.com Message Forums - Please Be Careful When Handloading Ammo

The individual reloaded with the wrong powder and double charged. The calculated PSI was something like 385,000 psi, way over SAAMI specs. I cannot remember where I first read the story, it was not here or the gunbroker site I listed above. If I find it, I will re-post the link, seeing it was made a "sticky" by request of the person that screwed up and was he was lucky to be alive. It was on a reloading forum that is all I can remember. If somebody else finds the link, it would be nice for them to post it as well -- makes for good reading.

Top Bottom