• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Im thinking about getting some for my rifles but there are so dang many of them out there. Ive found one specific for my 77/17HMR thatll actually work but as far as my other rifles Im not sure what to go with. Honestly, before really getting back into firearms a few months ago I didnt even know these existed. I always ran the brush through the whole barrel then swab it til clean, then put a coat of rem oil in and called it good.

Do the universal ones work well or am I better off getting gun specific ones? I need one for my AR, browning Abolts(270s) and then Ive got a few R700s between my dad and myself. Thats why I was leaning towards one of the universal kits.

As I understand it, these basically protect the trigger group from solvents, and the chamber from the brushes. What do you do about semi auto rifles and pistols? The Hoppes boresnakes seem to be very popular but if Im thinking right they basically do damage that the bore guides try to prevent since you pull it through the throat of the chamber every time you run it through.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I would get one for the AR15 plus a uuniversal one that will work on your bolt guns. If you have an M1A get one for the flash hider.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I've got an AR16, an HK91 and several universals set up for each precision rifle. I like them and think they work great. I wouldn't attempt to use the universals for several different rifles. They won't last too long that way.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Boresnakes do damage? That would be a big NO. Solvent in the action? Dewd, you don't mop the gun down. And if you do use that much solvent. Keep the muzzle end pointed down.

You do understand that some rifle cals shoot better with the barrel dirty? Boresnake is all you need. You brush it on rainy days when you have nothing to do and get bored like hell.

As for bore guilds......use one if you use an army or antique steel rod. The modern day alloy jobs are a hell of alot softer then the barrel steel. So it's the other way around. The barrel tends to damage the cleaning rod.

Youre overthinking this gun cleaning thing....bad

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Boresnakes do damage? That would be a big NO. Solvent in the action? Dewd, you don't mop the gun down. And if you do use that much solvent. Keep the muzzle end pointed down.

You do understand that some rifle cals shoot better with the barrel dirty? Boresnake is all you need. You brush it on rainy days when you have nothing to do and get bored like hell.

As for bore guilds......use one if you use an army or antique steel rod. The modern day alloy jobs are a hell of alot softer then the barrel steel. So it's the other way around. The barrel tends to damage the cleaning rod.

Youre overthinking this gun cleaning thing....bad
    Like I said I've never used one, and have never had any problems. Since I've started getting back into shooting I've done a lot more reading and it seems quite a few people preach the use of bore guides. No need to talk to me like I'm a moron. All I've done with my ar is hose it down with brake cleaner, blow it out with compressed air then spray a little rem oil on the bcg.

On the other side, I guess if you never shoot your rifles you can go indefinitely without cleaning but at some point you will get copper fouling and when breaking in a barrel frequent cleaning is necessary.

Good article on barrel cleaning from a good source for precision shooting
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/bore-cleaning-basics-1.php
    if they make it a pout to mention a bore guide I tend to think it might be important.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If I had an expensive custom barrel I would probably just get the coated cleaning rods, have even seen some with no metal in them at all.

A bore guide is just keeping the cleaning rod from scalping against the rifling. It's still possible to flex it or get one slightly bent and the bore guide isn't gonna help anymore.

Not that they are bad, I'd probably get the rods instead, or both if I spent enough on the barrel I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    If I had an expensive custom barrel I would probably just get the coated cleaning rods, have even seen some with no metal in them at all.

A bore guide is just keeping the cleaning rod from scalping against the rifling. It's still possible to flex it or get one slightly bent and the bore guide isn't gonna help anymore.

Not that they are bad, I'd probably get the rods instead, or both if I spent enough on the barrel I guess.

My plan was to get bore guides and boresnakes. I love my boresnakes for my pistols, just haven't gotten one for my rifles yet. Which was also why I was wondering since most places that talk about bore guides say they protect the throat of the chamber from the bristles how come its not a big deal or atleast I haven't read about it on semi auto guns. Obviously on pistols it's not muc of a concern and I don't think the brass or copper bristles are hard enough to mar steel but it seems like some people make a big deal about it on precision rifles.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Like I said I've never used one, and have never had any problems. Since I've started getting back into shooting I've done a lot more reading and it seems quite a few people preach the use of bore guides. No need to talk to me like I'm a moron. All I've done with my ar is hose it down with brake cleaner, blow it out with compressed air then spray a little rem oil on the bcg.

On the other side, I guess if you never shoot your rifles you can go indefinitely without cleaning but at some point you will get copper fouling and when breaking in a barrel frequent cleaning is necessary.

Good article on barrel cleaning from a good source for precision shooting
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/bore-cleaning-basics-1.php
    if they make it a pout to mention a bore guide I tend to think it might be important.

I got damn near 1000 rounds downrange with my custom .308, and I think I've run all of 3 patches down the barrel (1- oily, 2- dry) just to see if they would come out dirty.

I can still hold less than 0.5moa on a five shot group.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sounds to me like you've ruined that rifle. I'll give you $150 for it so you can start a fund for a new one.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Sounds to me like you've ruined that rifle. I'll give you $150 for it so you can start a fund for a new one.

$150 _might_ work as a deposit with the 'smith. If I ever shoot this one out, I'll have him spin a new tube on it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    My plan was to get bore guides and boresnakes. I love my boresnakes for my pistols, just haven't gotten one for my rifles yet. Which was also why I was wondering since most places that talk about bore guides say they protect the throat of the chamber from the bristles how come its not a big deal or atleast I haven't read about it on semi auto guns. Obviously on pistols it's not muc of a concern and I don't think the brass or copper bristles are hard enough to mar steel but it seems like some people make a big deal about it on precision rifles.

Check this out.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/gear-accessories/37458-pull-through-bore-brush.html

As for the brush doing damage to any barrel....think in these terms: Some barrels have copper plated projectiles sent through them at well over 3500fps. That, is so tight, the bullet takes grooves. Plus the super hot gas pushing the bullet. Think about a 416 remington barrel or a 458win

A brush isn't gonna hurt it. As for precision barrels, that gets into the realm of shooting 6mmBR. Unless you have a super custom 40-X remington in the closet, nothing you nor I have is "precision". Firearms are a hell of a lot tougher then you think. AR15's are stupid tough. I did all I could to break an M16 straight in half. I dragged that thing through a field filled with flint rock and LOTS of mud. Beat tent stakes into the ground. Washed it out in a mop sink. Shot it as hot as I could before running out of ammo. Bumped fired the trigger, 3 round burst, mag after mag after mag. And still shot expert with it. The barrel only had a dry cotton patch ran down it. I really tortured tested a M9. Oh God....it was horrible...

Ive seen a stevens 22 that was over 20years old, and NEVER had the barrel cleaned. It was nasty. But it still shot pretty damn good.

Your not gonna hurt your stuff as long as you don't abuse them. Abuse meaning what i did to that M16.

Top Bottom