• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fourx4forfun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Kopperl, TX
    So when Snomageddon hit a little while back, we lost water as believe the main froze up, then was on the rolling blackouts every 40-45 min. So go to the barn for the case of water that took out of the truck that had sold. Stuff was little over a year old, never thought anything about water dates, this stuff was nasty!
    When stored inside so does not get hot and cold do they get like that or indefinite storage?
    Military Camp

Maxmax0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2021
    Hawkins TX
    You can "can" water.
    If you plan to store water. It needs to be in the right container and storage in a cool dark area

We have abc tote and blue drums for rain collect, mainly used for the garden. I have no problems drinking it

fourx4forfun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Kopperl, TX
    planning on rain water collection system, have some food grade drums that were used for olive oil with screw off lids, washed them down good. be like yours for the garden when the rains stop then emergency use.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    So when Snomageddon hit a little while back, we lost water as believe the main froze up, then was on the rolling blackouts every 40-45 min. So go to the barn for the case of water that took out of the truck that had sold. Stuff was little over a year old, never thought anything about water dates, this stuff was nasty!
    When stored inside so does not get hot and cold do they get like that or indefinite storage?
    Buy a 1000gal plastic tank (~$800), you can transport it in a pickup bed, or have it delivered. Plumb a hose bib on the outlet, fill it from your hose.

1000 gallons of water storage...

fourx4forfun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Kopperl, TX
    Buy a 1000gal plastic tank (~$800), you can transport it in a pickup bed, or have it delivered. Plumb a hose bib on the outlet, fill it from your hose.

1000 gallons of water storage...
    so for rain water from the down spout off the garage, thats not been outlawed yet like CO did.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    simply dehydrate it and you can store way more in a small area.

when you need it, just add water.

(couldnt resist)

luckily we had drinking water on hand, and jsut packed the toilet tanks with snow hehe.

protip stackable 60 gallon containers are easier to store and move than a 1000 gal tank

fourx4forfun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Kopperl, TX
    yeah brought in snow in buckets for the toilets, it does not melt any where near as fast as one would think, kept fresh water that had gotten from sinks for critters and coffee before it froze up.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    so for rain water from the down spout off the garage, thats not been outlawed yet like CO did.
    Why do that while you can fill it wITH clean water? Save rainwater collection for after SHTF.

I know of no law against rainwater collection, but that doesn't mean there isn't one in some municipalities.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    They usually have a two year use by date, but if stored properly, I think bottled water is good almost indefinitely. It may not taste so great after a few years, but still considered potable.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    rainwater collection is super handy for a low cost automated irrigation if you are into gardening and have an old sump pump a reservoir and the guts of disused deer feeder.

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    simply dehydrate it and you can store way more in a small area.

when you need it, just add water.

(couldnt resist)

luckily we had drinking water on hand, and jsut packed the toilet tanks with snow hehe.

protip stackable 60 gallon containers are easier to store and move than a 1000 gal tank
    At 500lbs full, I don't think of that as portable...

My suggestion was for shelter in place.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    yeah that is kind of obvious, im not saying slap it in your backpack, but you know, you might want to move them around in the barn or bring one in the house one day. or distribute the weight

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have seen canned life raft water dated 1941! I also know of a 20 year old glass water cooler bottle of water that’s never been opened.

My guess if you could aerate old bottles of water the taste might improve!

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    My guess if you could aerate old bottles of water the taste might improve! yup, minerals and air make water taste good. Problem with bottles water is the additives and plastic container. Usually just 'tap' water. Ozarka used to be Ar, now E Tx 'tap' water. Some places use ammonia/chlorine additive (chloranine). H2O is pretty tasteless.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Stored water can leach contaminants from it’s container. That may affect taste, purity, or both. Contaminated water doesn’t have to have a taste, and clean water can have all sorts of tastes and odors.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My guess if you could aerate old bottles of water the taste might improve! yup, minerals and air make water taste good. Problem with bottles water is the additives and plastic container. Usually just 'tap' water. Ozarka used to be Ar, now E Tx 'tap' water. Some places use ammonia/chlorine additive (chloranine). H2O is pretty tasteless.
    Never had sulfur water?

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Never had sulfur water?
    My deep well in the Lower Trinity always yields water with some sulfur taste and smell, even after heavy pumping, but it's not as bad as some I've smelled and tasted.

My shallow well yields the best tasting water, hard as rock, but tasty!

For cooking, tea, and coffee, I distill water with a cheap tabletop distiller.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    They usually have a two year use by date, but if stored properly, I think bottled water is good almost indefinitely. It may not taste so great after a few years, but still considered potable.
    We keep a case of bottled handy - lasts a couple of months. 2 more cases in the tornado shelter, then we rotate our stock so the oldest is probably 6-8 months after storage. The water in the tornado shelter (~three ft below ground surface) did not freeze during our 2 consecutive ice age nights of 6 & 1 degree lows.

Top Bottom