• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I was having a bad day....just one of those days where anything that could have went wrong did and was stuck in Amarillo so I decided to go to the normal gun stores to see if they got any .380 in yet (which of course they didn't), that just made me even more upset. So I figured a new toy would make me feel better. While I'm in Academy I noticed they had quite a few M&Ps in stock. While they didn't have the one I wanted (night sights, no mag safey) I just had to buy something to make me feel better. So, I picked up a regular 4 1/2", 9mm with mag safety...ok new gun, I'm feeling better now. ;)

I took it out early this morning to get a feel for it and it shot great. The front sight on it is a little off to the right but I'm ordering some night sights Monday so I'm not worried about moving it over. The only thing I didn't like was the trigger. That has to be one of the worst factory triggers I've ever felt (it was worse than my buddy's Sigma trigger ). It's just really rough. I put 300 rounds through it this morning and will prolly put a couple hundred more through it tomorrow to see if it'll smooth out some. Other than that I might send it to S&W's Performance Shop to have a trigger job done on it.

Already printed up and sent out S&W's coupon for the 2 free mag promotion they are doing Feb. 27th - Apr. 30. ;)

Anyways...today's been a good day so far.

Military Camp

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    sorry for the bad luck. I can't find any reasonable 380 ammo (I don't consider $40 for 50 rounds buyable).

Just a question. Why do you want a mag safety? That is where the gun won't fire with out a magazine in it, Right?

Seems like just another thing to go wrong to me. Just my opinion.

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Shoot we don't have ANY .380 ammo round here....not even for that price. :mad:

I wanted the version without the mag safety (I like having a usable round in the chamber while changing mags). Doesn't matter that I got one with it though, as I just took the mag safety out of this one about 15 mins ago. ;)

wayneside

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    congrats on the buy...I was looking at those at the local Academy while Bersa Thunder 380 shopping...might look again but I think I'll just wait until the Bersa 380's are back in stock...

Texas-Aviator

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Caldwell
    Very good choice for an all around pistol. They are inexpensive enough to just have one in every vehicle, so you won't "forget" to have it when you make a quick trip to the store. I've had both a 9mm and a 45 M&P for about a year, and both have never had a FTF, and both are very accurate.
    Daryl

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Very good choice for an all around pistol. They are inexpensive enough to just have one in every vehicle, so you won't "forget" to have it when you make a quick trip to the store. Daryl

Yeah I keep a HK USPc in the truck 24/7 and a Glock 17 in the jeep 24/7 just for that reason....I'm not really sure why I bought this M&P, the only thing I came up with was that I wanted it.....good enough for me.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    My hubby picked up an M&P compact 9mm a week or two ago and we got it to the range the day after. I have to agree with you on the trigger, it was terrible! I found it oddly long, with random tensions (the safety), and gritty at the end. I could barely hit the barn with that gun. Good thing it is not my carry

On the upside, it conceals very well and has a nice 12+1 capacity. Makes the box of 50 go very quick!

awmp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    How do you like your M&P pistol?

Looking at buying a used, M&P 9mm 17rd, 2 mags. (4 days old, friend purchased on impulse), selling for $450.00.
    I have Glocks and had an XD, but wanting to find an all around polymer pistol for carry and IDPA. If felt good in my hand with the small insert.
    How do you like your M&P?

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    I have the S&W M&P in 45 ACP that is now my primary duty sidearm. Carried a 4506 when I was assigned to patrol and loved it. However, when I was assigned to plainclothes the 4506 was just too heavy for dress slacks and I was constantly pulling up my pants. I switched to a Glock 21C and was satisfied but when the opportunity came to obtain the M&P I was all over it. Very glad to have a S&W at my side again.

awmp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I have just purchased a M&P full size 9mm and the trigger gets smoother. I have fired 200-300 rounds and can tell a big difference. Dry firing also helps. I have been very pleased with this pistol. The modular grips are a huge plus. Austin PD just went to the same pistol in .40SW.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Take the gun apart and hand polish the parts that rub together. That will take alot of the junk out of the trigger on any striker fired gun.

Pawdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Lake Kimble, Texas
    I bought my MP40 about two years ago, when they offered two free mags with the mail in rebate. As I recall, paid around $479.00, then at Academy. It's been a great shooter, accurate, and I have no issues with the trigger pull. I also have the SW9VE, and a Glock 22, and compared the three at the range. Huge difference in trigger pull, and I prefer the MP over the Glock for the trigger, accuracy, and the natural angle the MP feels in my hand.

awmp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I compared my Glocks and XDs to the M&P and my M&P won for me. It feels better in my hand, easy to sight quickly and the trigger continues to get better. I have sold all my XDs and still not sure if keeping my Glocks but I have had them for some long they might just have to stay.

I bought my MP40 about two years ago, when they offered two free mags with the mail in rebate. As I recall, paid around $479.00, then at Academy. It's been a great shooter, accurate, and I have no issues with the trigger pull. I also have the SW9VE, and a Glock 22, and compared the three at the range. Huge difference in trigger pull, and I prefer the MP over the Glock for the trigger, accuracy, and the natural angle the MP feels in my hand.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I had 2 M&P's a 9 and 45. Love the 9, but the 45, after all that wait was just so so. Just didnt shoot it as well as my Glock. Still havent figure that one out yet. The 9 was promptly confiscated by the wife. Instead of going back to S&W for a trigger job I went with Burwell Gunsmithing and couldnt be happier. It came back with a crisp 4# trigger that is really close to a SA triggger as can be. His price and turn around have gone up since, but its money well spent. Bowie Tactical also does great trigger work on the M&P series.

It has served us well. We havent had any issues with it what so ever. Eats anything we feed it and the wife is getting pretty good with it. Last session she got bored hitting paper plates and decided to try for the staples holding them to the boards... She hit more than she missed.

Make sure you use snap caps if you try to smooth out the trigger using dry fire. I know they say its OK to go without, but when I dry fire without a snap cap there is a definite metal clank that aint there when a cap is in place. The striker is bottoming out on something.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom