• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    XD-40 Sub...

I went to Shiloh lastnight to test her out, but them "girls" that run the place are doing to well, it was packed... I'll try to head up there this evening and waste some paper..

I would like to get night sights installed, but was informed that I need to get a special tool to install them. Costing around $200. The sales guys warned me that if I go anywhere to have them installed, I need to becareful that they don't mess the gun up.. Is it an issue to have sights installed???
    Venture Surplus ad

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Congratulations on a good decision. I installed night sights on mine myself. It is not an issue. The only "special tool" needed is a hammer and a brass punch.....

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Good choice for a car gun. Rugged and dependable.

Installing any sights in a dove tale press fit slide can be done without a sight pusher. The hardest part is getting it started and down the first 1/8" or so. Then it's a matter of tapping it into place. It is easy to mess up your slide and the sights if you're not careful. You are whacking it with a hammer. If you're going to try that, put the slide under a hot light bulb or heat it with a hair driver until it's almost too hot to touch. That sometimes helps getting it started.

Any qualified gun smith worth their salt can install sights. It's a very basic gun smithing task. You might call around and see what different shops and smiths charge for that. There are some that will install for free if you buy the sights from them.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Navyguy has a good point about finding a local smith who will install free if you buy the sights there. Just had TFO's (wanted Trijicon but weren't in stock) installed on my XD9sc for $110 at the local GS. Could have bought the same sights for $85 + $15 installation + shipping to and from the online dealer. Local is the way to go and a good smith should have no problem. If you go this route be sure to check the work before leaving the store.....

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Where I bought the gun, they install sights free if you buy them there. They didn't have the tool and didn't want to take a chance. They are good group of people and seem to be helpful. I'll call around the Houston area and see what I can find. As well, anyone has a place they could recommend; would be a appreciative..

kmbrman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2009
    WACO
    Better let someone install them with a Sight Pusher , the little vials that glow can be broken with a hammer blow!

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    God I love reading this thread because I too was looking to put nightsights on my XD and my Kimber and I will definitely look into local places that do good for work... Thanks for the information

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Any suggestions on where somebody in Spring could go to have Night Sights put on a G27?

At Tomball Pawn, you buy the Sights they install for free. They have the tooling for the Glocks. I have a G23 and was going to have them do it.

I think the sights run around $85.00.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Spectre Firearms, I think Shiloh will do them, Tomball pawn. Or just do them yourself, it just takes a little patience and elbow grease...

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bought my XD45 with the night sight installed from springfield and one of the rear sights wouldnt glow. When they called Spring they said not to repl and send it in. I had new sights in about 1 week. Spring did all the work. They were not happy I was told about this problem and called me later to verify it was good. These XDs are awesome and seem to never have firing issues.

Maxpower

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    I was going to get night sights for my XDSA subcompact but have decided to get the crimson trace laser instead.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I was going to get night sights for my XDSA subcompact but have decided to get the crimson trace laser instead.

More often than not don't you think that night sights would be more useful than a laser... Just my thought... IMO I think being under the cover of darkness turning a corner and seeing three glowing dots and putting lead right on target would be more important to me than a red dot giving away position...

cnl390

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    I bought an XD45 and the front sight would not glow because the little vial of tritium was broken during installation. I had to call several gunsmiths before I found one that would install a new one.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I went to Shiloh on Friday night to test the new toy.. Yep! I'm impressed with it and feel comfortable having it as my carry weapon. Now, I'm looking at holsters...

From what I've heard and read about the sights, I'm might hold out for a bit.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Spectre Firearms, I think Shiloh will do them, Tomball pawn. Or just do them yourself, it just takes a little patience and elbow grease...

Thanks,

Spectre wanted $100 for the sites & $50 for install.

Tomball wants $89 for the sites & install is free....guess where I am going?

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    You know... I really should put a set on my USP while I have the cash laying around...

I figure if trit vials can handle recoil of the slide, they ought to take my hamfists bumping them in, am I wrong?

I think Gander Mtn installs free if you buy them there, but I dispise those guys. I'll probably check if they have the sight pusher and let them do it if they do. If not, I'll have my trusted pal hold my beer and Ill take a stab at it. :)

Figure I can put my hands on a new carry gun while Im at it. Going to give those XDs a look.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom