Hurley's Gold

Boulder City Council gives assault-weapons ban initial OK after marathon hearing

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Boulder City Council gives assault-weapons ban initial OK after marathon hearing
    https://www.denverpost.com/2018/04/06/boulder-city-council-assault-weapons-ban-passes/
    I may be wrong, but I believe Colorado has preemption, no?
    I wonder how this is going to work out in Colorado?
    And I wonder if it could happen here, in Austin, Boulder's step child, for instance?
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm so tired of hearing assault weapon. What exactly is an assault weapon? Wouldn't a baseball bat used to hit another person be considered an assault weapon? It's ridiculous to classify any firearm "assault" unless it's used against another person, therefore even a BB gun could be considered an assault weapon if it were used to shoot at another person.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Looking at the photo in the link, it is again remarkable to me that a liberal's countenance is so easily recognized.

Keep thinking a large dose of prune juice would do them a world of good ...

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Found this but haven't seen the actual language of the law yet;
    however, supposedly this is it.
    http://www.dailycamera.com/news/bou...plus-speak-boulder-city-council-considers-ban

How does the proposed law define 'assault weapons'?

As City Attorney Tom Carr has drafted it, "assault weapons" are defined as:

• All semiautomatic rifles that have the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and that have any of the following characteristics: a pistol grip or thumbhole stock; a folding or telescoping stock; or any protruding grip or other device to allow the weapon to be stabilized with the non-trigger hand.

• All semi-automatic center-fire pistols that have any of the following characteristics: the capacity to accept a magazine other than in the pistol grip or any device to allow the weapon to be stabilized with the non-trigger hand.

• Any firearm that has been modified to be operable as an assault weapon as defined by the city, plus any part or combination or parts designed to convert a firearm into an assault weapon.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The state don't give a damn about federal drug laws.
    The city don't give a damn about state gun laws.
    Charming.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I believe I have found the answer to this - if I read it correctly, yes, Colorado has preemprtion, but several courts have ruled against it resulting in local authority:
    http://lawcenter.giffords.org/local-authority-to-regulate-firearms-in-colorado/

Interesting..

The Supreme Court of Colorado considered the appeal of these two cases in early 2006. On June 5, 2006, in an unusual 3-3 court deadlock, the aforementioned lower-court decisions were allowed to stand. Thus, Denver may now enforce its ordinances regulating the open carrying of firearms generally and in city parks, and banning assault weapons and Saturday night specials. The split provided no clear ruling on the preemption issues involved with these firearm ordinances.13

Colorado provides that a local government, including a law enforcement agency, shall not maintain a list or other form of record or database of:

(a) Persons who purchase or exchange firearms or who leave firearms for repair or sale on consignment;

(b) Persons who transfer firearms, unless the persons are federally licensed firearms dealers;

(c) The descriptions, including serial numbers, of firearms purchased, transferred, exchanged, or left for repair or sale on consignment.14

Finally, state law prohibits local governments from enacting noise regulations concerning shooting ranges.15 Counties may regulate the discharge of firearms in areas with an average population of at least 100 persons per square mile.16

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    It's amazing that the people that are quick to point to an amendment when it comes to their freedoms are often the same people that want to squash an amendment that don't apply to them.

Top Bottom