Tai%20Goo%20Presentation%20Asian%20Bowie%20002-2.jpg

Tai%20Goo%20Presentation%20Rainbow%20Bowie%201-1.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

Deviantsaint

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Austin
    I got this one a few years ago for my time downrange. I wanted a bayonet that would actually be useful as a camp knife so I had Michael Z Williamson take a Laredo bowie from cold steel and put bayonet fittings on it and make a new sheath. It was a bit expensive because the san-mai steel version isn't real cheap but it was worth it.

PIC_0193.jpg

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I just got a Ka-Bar Big Brother a couple weeks ago and am pretty stoked about it. I'm going to wait until I use it a bit before I take some pictures of it, tho. I don't like knives that look like they've never seen the outside of their box

Not a bowie, but here is one of my work horses. This sucker has chopped many limbs and processed lots of kindling.
    5665329848_48f6eabd13_z.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I got this one a few years ago for my time downrange. I wanted a bayonet that would actually be useful as a camp knife so I had Michael Z Williamson take a Laredo bowie from cold steel and put bayonet fittings on it and make a new sheath. It was a bit expensive because the san-mai steel version isn't real cheap but it was worth it.

PIC_0193.jpg

How did I not see that before? That's awesome!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I don't count 'em as knives. Never been able to get any of the ones I own to hold an edge for five damn minutes.

WTF do they make the stupid things out of? Pot metal? Oh, wait... they probably do.

Well, considering AK bayonets are not suppose to be sharpened, it's easy to understand why they don't hold an edge. The pointy business end is already sharpened when they leave the factory.

Folks who do sharpen them find a single-sided edge works better than a double. And don't use a dry grinder, they remove metal much too fast to get an even edge. Take some time with a wet grinder, and only sharpen one edge (chisel grind). And do not bother to sharpen the top edge.

But understand it does decrease the collector value of an AK bayonet by sharpening it.

Cheers! M2

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    All I ever tried was following what was already there. Kind of makes you wonder, why put a knife shape to something that's never going to be sharp? Seems to me th AK bayonet is all for show.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    All I ever tried was following what was already there. Kind of makes you wonder, why put a knife shape to something that's never going to be sharp? Seems to me th AK bayonet is all for show.

No, it is for sticking the enemy, which is why it has a pointed tip. Many bayonets are similarly designed, they are not intended to be cutting instruments but stabbing ones...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    No, it is for sticking the enemy, which is why it has a pointed tip. Many bayonets are similarly designed, they are not intended to be cutting instruments but stabbing ones...

Usually, those kind of bayonets are spikes. ;) More modern thinking has a bayonet being used as a utility knife, too, which actually makes a lot more sense. Especially on the modern battlefield. There hasn't been a massed bayonet charge since Korea.

The Marines got it right with their newest bayonet. Come to think of it, that bayonet is a Bowie profile. :D

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone

Somewhere in YouTube land there is a video of a guy trying to use the "Wire cutter" to cut through barbed wire. It's not pretty. Maybe it was made for cutting copper wire?

Top Bottom