• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    I realize this is not necessarily a gun question but I'm going to ask anyway as it somewhat pertains to the carrying of weapons in Texas. I searched and skimmed through a few threads I apologize if this has been answered already.

Does anyone have a legal definition of what constitutes a "bowie" knife? Is it a certain length? Does it have a hilt? Can "bowie" be applied to the majority of fixed blade knives?

Also was the blade length in the definition of "illegal knife" changed in the last couple years? I could have sworn when I moved here in '06 that it read 3 7/8 inches.

Thanks in advance for your time and replies

-Nef
    Gun Zone Deals

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Last time I looked, blade length was limited to 5.5 inches... as to how that was measured (hilt to tip, sharpened edge etc..) it was snot defined...

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    While many forget the Bowie Knife was designed for fighting. It was suitable for many other uses as well.

The width of the blade at the hilt was approximately 3.5 inches, length of blade about 12 inches. The thickness was 3/8ths. The back was covered with brass so that other blades would not bounce off and the back curved part was as sharp as the main edge. These measurements are from memory but pretty close.

Today knives that resemble the shape are called Bowie Knifes regardless of the size and construction.

Top Bottom