Join TexasGunTalk

Boycotts?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by oldag, Dec 6, 2019.

1. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    At various times, folks have called for boycotts on businesses for their anti-2A, anti-Christian, etc. stances.

Just curious if any of us have followed through.

I did quit buying Gillette products. Not a great sacrifice, admittedly.

Don't patronize Dick's Sporting Goods. Again, not really a sacrifice as I almost never visited their store anyhow.

Will probably give up my lifelong use of Levi's jeans and switch to Wrangler if Wrangler makes a decent boot jean. Don't buy jeans all that often, though.

Walmart? Kind of hard to avoid in the area where I spend a good deal of time.

Cannot remember some of the other businesses that folks called to boycott

2. Double Naught Spy

Double Naught Spy Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    oldag, you appear to be a very typical boycotter. That is just an observation, not a critique.

In my experience, most people boycott when it is convenient to do so. They are especially good at boycotting businesses and products they weren't using already. They will often cheat on their boycotts out of convenience or financial gain to themselves. That is a big reason why most boycotts fail so miserably - big talk with poor implementation.

3. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I refuse to step foot in any Dick's for ANY reason - even if they have the sale to end all sales. Same with Cheaper Than Dirt. I haven't bought a new Ruger since Bill screwed the gun community over many years ago. And found Wrangler's that work for me - so no more Levi's. Nike? I had three of their logo's shirts....gone.

4. mdf9183

mdf9183 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Bastrop
    My problem with boycotts is that most of the places that should be boycotted, I was not doing business with them in the first place.

5. popsgarland

popsgarland MEMBER

Aug 24, 2011
    Garland, Texas
    My wife does all of the shopping, except fire arms and ammo, and I don't go to docks any more. I know she doesn't go to some stores any more but since i don't pay attention to where she shops, I don't know who she boycotts.

6. GRAYWOLF

GRAYWOLF Active Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I stopped shopping at Dick's when they screwed over the AR-15 customers after Newtown.

I have had Levi's, but prefer Wrangler anyway (they do have boot cut).

Most of the list weren't on my shopping list, anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

just country likes this.
  7. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You guys crack me up. "screwed over the ..."

8. GRAYWOLF

GRAYWOLF Active Member

Dec 19, 2012
    They did...
    people ordered AR-15s during Black Friday sale. Newtown happened and Dick's said "screw you, you aren't getting your order nor your money back...store credit only".

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Vodak, The Choice of a New Generation TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I don't like what Bill Ruger did either but I think Ruger as a company has more than redeemed themselves with Bill gone.

I refuse to shop at Dick's but then I never did anyway. Same with Cheaper Than Diamonds. I cancelled my Credit Karma account after their CEO signed a letter with many other CEOs demanding more gun control. I own Levi's jeans but I'm not going to buy more of them.

I'm not big on organized boycotting because they rarely work but I'm not going to knowingly support organizations demanding and working toward gun control if I can help it.

10. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 TGT Addict

Nov 7, 2015
    Add: Nike, Yeti, Benchmade knives.

Reinz and digger like this.