• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Bad u-joints will often make themselves known on deceleration. Had that happen a few times.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have seen that as well. Generally, if you feel it in the seats and body it will be drive train or body related. I would look at u-joints and for any split or loose bushings on sway bars and control arms.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I'll get right on the torque converter - LOL. I'm pretty confident it isn't body/suspension related because it is wheel speed dependent. I eyeballed stuff yesterday when I was messing around and didn't see any issues with my sway bar bushings, endlinks, etc. Of course, today it didn't do it going to work. I'll check out the u-joints when I get home.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    ABS, final answer for the red corvette die-cast.
    I asked earlier of some way to test what you're saying because it certainly doesn't act like ABS. I've only had the ABS come on a few times when I was braking hard on gravel, etc. It pulses the brakes many times/second. What I'm talking about is much, much slower and definitely related to wheel speed, which to the best of my knowledge, ABS is not.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    I asked earlier of some way to test what you're saying because it certainly doesn't act like ABS. I've only had the ABS come on a few times when I was braking hard on gravel, etc. It pulses the brakes many times/second. What I'm talking about is much, much slower and definitely related to wheel speed, which to the best of my knowledge, ABS is not.
    Anytime the ABS sensor detects a mismatch in speed between any of the 4 tires, it will activate, at any speed. Mine does '11 Expedition. Usually coming to a stop or slow turn, one wheel slips and the ABS kicks in. It's abrupt and recognizable that I think something is broke. Have you pulled any codes?

carlosg0013

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2018
    houston
    Try a break job, it will only cost about 150 dollars if you do it your self. I was getting a lot of wobble when breaking and turned out the front break rotors were warped so replace them and the pads and the problem went away

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Would putting it into neutral while braking stop the thump from the u-joint?
    Just as a test?
    It might or might not. The u-joint will still rotate thank to the diff, but it shouldn't be under any load to speak of.

I'd rather climb under with a light and take a look assuming I wasn't diagnosing a fresh symptom while I was still moving.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I did get under there. Put it in neutral with the parking brake on. I yanked and pulled on the driveshaft and the u joints seemed solid. Of course, the noise hasn't happened again.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    One thing nobody has mentioned yet. Is this a 4X4 with IFS by any chance? If so, check your CV joints. They usually make intermittent noises before they try to take the steering wheel away from you.

Top Bottom